Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Tap

Glock 19 9mm

I've been practicing double tap some but my habit of using the sights is way too slow.
    Is it more of point and shoot technique to using sights?

I’m sure other more experienced shooters will chime in, but I slept at a holiday inn express once, and watch YouTube videos

My advise, is shoot: 1,2,3,4,5 rounds on target. Have a cadence shot to shot, that is same time in between shots.

Out the holster, draw, shoot 1 round
    Draw shoot 2 rounds
    Draw shoot 3 rounds ...

Multiple targets, and multiple rounds on each target.

I know it’s not what you asked, but I hope it helps.

Comment

Google Bill Drill. Three targets side by side at 7 yds. Start with six rounds in the magazine. Two rounds on each target with a slide lock reload and repeat. Go slow enough to get all A zone hits starting out and gradually increase speed.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        I’m sure other more experienced shooters will chime in, but I slept at a holiday inn express once, and watch YouTube videos

My advise, is shoot: 1,2,3,4,5 rounds on target. Have a cadence shot to shot, that is same time in between shots.

Out the holster, draw, shoot 1 round
        Draw shoot 2 rounds
        Draw shoot 3 rounds ...

Multiple targets, and multiple rounds on each target.

I know it’s not what you asked, but I hope it helps.
        You're good..
        Holster hasn't been in play yet but, it should be.

Comment

With block sights on a pistol try to focus on the front sight and the target only. Back posts should be blurred out of your vision almost completely With practice you will get used to keeping the slide level with the target. Makes transitioning back to target quick and easy. Get that front bead on target and fire. Two to the chest one to the head, start slow and inside 10 say at 6. Move to ten, to 12, 15, 20, 25.

Comment

As soon as the front post drops back on target shoot. It isnt about shooting paper and a 2 inch group. Its shooting rounds on target with muscle memory. I could care less if a pistol has rear sights or not. Front post with bright orange paint is all I need

Comment

If your going to practice start slow and speed will come. My follow up shots are almost by feel. Under stress you muscle memory will kick in and you probably won’t know the difference in round count anyways. Also head shots are tricky. Heads bob and weave all over the place. If your worried about contact with someone wearing armor, which seems like everyone has nowadays, the pelvis shot is much more reliable. Pelvis will drop them on the ground and give you a chance to make cover. Chances are they will bleed out before help arrives anyways.
              Last edited by Hills of Texas; 06-17-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I used to know a bunch of old school, chain smoking police that didn’t have a clue what a double tap was but they could empty a wheel gun in the blink of an eye and put dang near all of them center mass

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                  I used to know a bunch of old school, chain smoking police that didn’t have a clue what a double tap was but they could empty a wheel gun in the blink of an eye and put dang near all of them center mass

I read this thread and still don’t know what double tap means.

I though that was how you know Zombies we’re dead.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I read this thread and still don’t know what double tap means.

I though that was how you know Zombies we’re dead.

A double tap is 2 rounds, 2 sight pictures (sights, bang bang, on sights for follow on) practically speaking, it’s for close range where speed is the key and really most won’t even get one sight picture.

A controlled pair is 2 shots, 3 sight pictures (sights, bang, sights, bang, sights for follow on)
                    Accuracy over speed. As you train it, you can do controlled pairs that are nearly as fast as double taps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      As soon as the front post drops back on target shoot. It isnt about shooting paper and a 2 inch group. Its shooting rounds on target with muscle memory. I could care less if a pistol has rear sights or not. Front post with bright orange paint is all I need
                      ^^^^This. I've been shooting competitively as well as regular practice for my LEO job and my weapon is basically an extension of my arm. Point and shoot.
                      after you practice enough it becomes muscle memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                        With block sights on a pistol try to focus on the front sight and the target only. Back posts should be blurred out of your vision almost completely With practice you will get used to keeping the slide level with the target. Makes transitioning back to target quick and easy. Get that front bead on target and fire. Two to the chest one to the head, start slow and inside 10 say at 6. Move to ten, to 12, 15, 20, 25.
                        I went to a range and as expected I shot high but was centered up pretty good. One of the range employees helped me with visual "recognition" and a grip change. This plus above Comments helped a bunch. Now it's practice and more practice! Speed is way too slow.
                        Thanks guys!!!⁸

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                          Glock 19 9mm

I've been practicing double tap some but my habit of using the sights is way too slow.
                          Is it more of point and shoot technique to using sights?
                          A double tap with a Glock or any double action only, is not going to be the easiest thing to do. Because of the long trigger pull and the weight of the trigger pull. You can get the trigger worked over by a gun smith that knows Glocks well. That will help. But choosing a different handgun, with a true double action something like a CZ 75, that or a single action such as a 1911, with a better trigger than a old Colt, something like a Wilson Combat 1911. Either style gun fired with the hammer cocked, will result in much shorter trigger pull and lower trigger pull weight.

That would be my suggestion to start with, then start working on your double tap.

Comment

^^^
                            I’m sure you’re more experienced than me, but most Glocks are 4.5-5.5 LBS with a short trigger reset.

It may be a long trigger pull compared to a 1911, but certainly not near as long as a Double action wheel gun.

Removing the trigger group and polishing the parts will smooth things up alone. No gunsmithing needed.

Comment

If you only go to reset on a Glock trigger the follow up shots can be really quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X