Kids and their Bedtime ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    My wife was an elementary teacher and she can tell many tales of kids falling asleep at their desks, and when Mom was asked, the answer usually was something like "Well, I told her to turn out the lights but they didn't do it." Her next question was usually "Who is the parent?" Friends of ours have an 8 and a 6 y.o. and the younger one used to fall asleep routinely during supper. We (as adopted grandparents) finally convinced them that they needed to curtail their overly-busy schedules (whichever sport was in season, karate 2x per week, dance/gymnastics, Weds and Sunday church activities, plus social stuff) and get them in bed earlier. Older one hasn't been a problem, but little sister needs more sleep.

Sleep deprivation is not good for growing bodies--or for education, or sports.
    My wife has the exact same stories. Our 7 year old is in bed by 8:30. We shoot for 8. Our 12 year old is in bed by 9 but many days earlier on her own accord. They are up at 6 am during the week since we both have to leave early. Weekends we allow them to stretch it out till 10 depending on the next days plans.

Comment

Or son is 6 and also in K. His bed time is 730. He's on bed by 8. That way when he says can't I stay up a little longer I can say your bedtime is 730 ans Its already 8. And that makes it ok with him.
      We have a 4 year old on the same schedule as our 6yo she lays in bed and talks or sings or whatever for about an hour. But if her bedtime is 730 and shes in bed by 8 shes asleep by 9 even with her hour.

Comment

My 8yr old on school nights 8pm, no exceptions. 9pm on non school nights. 4yr old has the same on school nights and 830pm on non school nights. Wake up is 0630 on school days, and they are both up by 730 on their own accord.

Comment

Both my kids go to bed no later than 8:30 on school nights, most of the time they go to bed by 8:15 on their own. I have a 14 year old and 9 year old. On weekends my 14 stays up till 11 or 12 depending on what is going on but my 9 will be asleep before 10. But they also get up during the week between 6 or 6:30

Comment

7:30 bath time. One last snack. ( fruit) . 8:00 brush teeth. Read books. 8:20-8:30 lights out.

Comment

My 8 yr old goes to bed at 9. My 16 yr old half the time I don't know. We all are morning people so we get up with no problem. My wife is a completely different story. Lol

Comment

heck my 18 year old senior is usually in bed by 9 and can still sleep half the day away :-)

Comment

The 6year old is in bed by 9:00 because we have sports untill about 7:30-8 and then getting him fed and showered puts him in bed at 9:00pm. He wakes up at 6:45am everyday.

The 2 year old is in bed by 8:30pm and sleeps untill she wakes up usually around 7:30am

Comment

5yr old, 2yr old and 1 yr old

7:45 time to pick up toys and read books.
                    8-8:15 all 3 are in bed.
                    No exceptions
                    If they are not tired then they lay there until they fall asleep.

Mama means business when it is night night time...

Comment

My Son, Axel, who is two years old, sat up watching tv with me last night until 10:30. He is my partner in crime He went to school this morning with no problems.

Comment

I had the same issue last night. Had to take the cell phone away for a week from my daughter because she would not listen and go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
                          Our son is 27, but I well remember the bedtime thing.
                          You are right. Stick to your guns. They need that sleep and besides that, you and your wife need those couple of hours in the evening sans kids.
                          x2

Comment

We only have a 23 month old, but we pick up toys at 7:30, brush teeth and then read to him and have prayer time.

He's out by 8:00

Comment

7:30-8 for our 4 & 7 year old kids on school nights; and depending on how they are acting and what me and the wife are doing 9pm at the latest on non-school nights.

Comment

I have a 6,7,9,10, and 11 year olds.

Structure is the key, we have in place no electronics till 7 to 8, and that is only if supper is done, all have taken showers by 7. If not, no electronics that day. All electronics off at 8, then it's wind down time with reading and having their teeth brushed by 8:25 or time comes off of the electronics the next day. Bedtime is 8:30!

Comment

Working...
                                X