Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind and Ozonics for me.

Comment

The older I get, the lazier I get. I used to do all the scent eliminators, clothes, body, not get in my scent free clothes until I head out. I went to a lot of trouble and expense. Then I got lazy and said, “this year, let’s just hunt the wind and see what happens”. This was about three years ago. I still tagged out each year. Still killed plenty of pigs. Still filled my freezer to the max.
      The only time, that I’m aware of, that I got busted was either movement or they came in from the wrong direction.
      Now I still don’t wash my clothes in anything with perfumes in it and I wear no scent deodorant but that’s not going to any extremes.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        If you have done a lot of hunting from brush blinds and pop ups, shouldnt you already have this figured out? No white flags, you are doing it right. Lots of snorts and whiteflags, you are doing it wrong.

I’ve been spraying down and doing my best to hunt the wind but have been on properties without a ton of action as of late lol. Going to be on a spot this year with a lot more deer so I’m going to pick every brain I can beforehand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to be a scent weirdo. Now I just use scent free detergeant and air dry in a cedar. I don't recall ever paying attention to the wind. Central Texas is much different than east Texas or SE Oklahoma though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Both.....and smoke!

Comment

I never realized how important scent control was until I killed my first "big" buck with a bow. I had trail cam pics and knew he was going to two spots regularly in the afternoons and mornings. I want to one and put my buddy in the other. He was a no-show at my spot after 3 hunts and he had been going every morning and afternoon to one or the other places. My buddy, who didn't take scent free showers or wash his clothes in scent free soap hadn't seen him either. I decided to hunt the spot my buddy had been sitting at Sunday morning. About 8:45 I looked down the ridge behind me and there he was about 90 yards behind me just standing there by an oak tree. He stood there for 25-30 minutes before he slowly walked up the ridge to where I smoked him. I think that deer had been coming to that spot when my buddy was there and he smelled something he didn't like. He was on camera every morning and every afternoon and he didn't come to the spot I had been hunting. Moral of the story, I believe wind management and scent free is essential to kill mature bucks. I've seen them time and time again stand in a spot for a while then just turn around and walk away. No whistle no snort no anything, just vanish back into the woods. This is especially true in the mountains. The wind changes every morning and afternoon. If your going to spend the money and time to go hunt in the mountains I would strongly recommend you make sure your scent free!

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                The older I get, the lazier I get. I used to do all the scent eliminators, clothes, body, not get in my scent free clothes until I head out. I went to a lot of trouble and expense. Then I got lazy and said, “this year, let’s just hunt the wind and see what happens”. This was about three years ago. I still tagged out each year. Still killed plenty of pigs. Still filled my freezer to the max.
                The only time, that I’m aware of, that I got busted was either movement or they came in from the wrong direction.
                Now I still don’t wash my clothes in anything with perfumes in it and I wear no scent deodorant but that’s not going to any extremes.
                Same here, Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                  Playing the wind is the most important thing! To add sent covering sprays or Ozonics is an added benefit.

Never, say it again, Never go to a stand set up with the wrong wind. It will do nothing but alert the deer that they are being hunted and you won't see anything but the deer leaving in a hurry!
                  Pretty much what he said. I would say get off the ground and get as high as you can IF you can.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Those who only hunt the perfect wind would never hunt on the places I've hunted in Texas because the deer and pigs come from all directions.
                    Yup... being 5 hours away it’s hard to hunt on a moment’s notice and a wind change is gonna happen eventually out west. You gotta do what you gotta do when the deer come from all directions. It’s either that or skip weekends.

My pig place luckily is local so I can plan better there. Those **** pigs still get me occasionally.

Comment

Do your best to set up, so most likely you will be up wind of whatever comes by, whether you are set up on a game trail or have a feeder, that you are hunting. Then find a good cover up scent for when that big buck, or a old doe, sneaks through the brush, 15 ft. behind you. Where you never figured they would come from.

I have hunted ground blinds many times and had deer, come up right behind or beside me. Often grazing on the brush I am using as a blind. I have gotten out of the blind later and looked over where the path the deer traveled, only to find, there was not anything that looked like a trail.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-22-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I believe in and use a product call Scent Thief, saying that I always try and keep the wind in my favor.

Comment

Honestly I don't care what you do if the wind ain't right your odds of getting busted are great no matter what you got on, got in or got going. Wind is key and its free. Spending money on down wind scent control is like playing the lottery. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Comment

What about deodorant?… you boys heading out au naturel?

Comment

Just wear a Hecs suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                                What about deodorant?… you boys heading out au naturel?

I use Scent Away deodorant.

Comment

Working...
                                X