Landscape plant apocalypse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting to see how much of this stuff survives. The hollies and nandinas look ok but I have a dozen or so big mature pittosporum that look really sick - may have got frozen to the roots. Lots of ground cover in my heavily shaded back yard- Asian jasmine, purple wintercreeper, giant liriope that looks hammered. I’ve tried to stick with plants deemed ok for this zone but all bets were off last week. I guess all you can do is cut it all back and see what recovers in the spring. In the great scheme of things dead landscape plants are not a tragedy but it took me many years to get things just right. I wonder if there will many new plants available - the growers had to have taken a big hit too
    Last edited by jerp; 02-21-2021, 05:35 PM.

We are already expecting the nurseries to have losses and heavily delayed shipping on many species.

Pittosporum I’d be surprised if it comes back, same with liriope.
    My Abelias are looking real bad. Same with large Privet but my Sunshine Ligustrums look okish.
    My Loropetalums appear to be 50/50

You are correct though, nothing to do but wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not garden related, but this storm turned my winter radish field into mush , 100% gone
      The most important thing about this storm is that it killed all our
      Ligustrum
      Bloom/Feature. Year-round golden foliage in full sun. ...
      Evergreen or Deciduous? Evergreen.
      Plant Hardiness. Hardy to -10°F to 0°F.
      Key Features. Attracts Birds / Butterflies, Deer Resistant, Disease / Pest Resistance, Dwarf, Returns Year After Year.

If it will destroy Chinese privet/ Ligustrum
      IMO not much will survive

Comment

We are curious and hopeful but some of my wife’s cactus that she has collected from all over the southwest ain’t looking too good. They were covered but they are looking pretty sad. We’ll see what happens.

Comment

Landscape plants are like throw pillows. If women didn’t want them they wouldn’t exist lol.

Comment

My spineless prickly pear look to be dead they have broken off nearly at the bottom probably 2k pounds of cactus to remove

Comment

My theory on plants is that if it needs my help to survive I don’t need it.
              I can however appreciate someone that has a nice back yard with a lot of plants and enjoy them, but my brown thumbs don’t allow that fo me.
              I’m sorry about all your plants, those things are expensive

Comment

Total cactus carnage. Thousands dead

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                  We are already expecting the nurseries to have losses and heavily delayed shipping on many species.

Pittosporum I’d be surprised if it comes back, same with liriope.
                  My Abelias are looking real bad. Same with large Privet but my Sunshine Ligustrums look okish.
                  My Loropetalums appear to be 50/50

You are correct though, nothing to do but wait.

Our dwarf pittosporum looks ok, our Indian hawthorns look burnt up. All 4 new Japanese maples and the new traveler redbud appear ok. It’s going to be interesting to see if they all pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Our agave and cactus are in bad shape. Agave is like mush

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                      Our agave and cactus are in bad shape. Agave is like mush

Same here! My wife did a great job designing beds! I’m sure I will be in charge of the removal.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        My spineless prickly pear look to be dead they have broken off nearly at the bottom probably 2k pounds of cactus to remove
                        Same. I figured they'd be the hardiest thing I had, but I had to chop them all out today.

My liriope and jasmine look ok. Even if they drop leaves, they'll grow back quickly with established roots.

My abelias look rough but you can't hardly kill those things.

The cast irons lived up to their name. They were coated in ice for days and they look great today.

Comment

A lot of the evergreen shrubs will be ok the leaves may fal off but should come back.The burnt Jasmine And Liriope should come back too.Some of the big nurseries I talked to tried to prepare and they did pretty well.One I talked to rented several reefer trucks to keep em from feeezing.I’ve been in the landscape industry going on 25 years but I think I’m going to learn a few things from this go round.I’ve got a little bit of stock that got burned but I did pretty well.I had a job that needs several citrus I’m glad they didn’t get planted yet.

Comment

Our 3-4 ft tall potted sago palms looks like all the limbs are brown and possibly dead. Just wondering if I should cut them off and hope it comes back out

Comment

Built my wife a greenhouse for all of her plants. Worked hard getting everything inside that she wanted in there. Storm came, power went out, then it REALLY got cold (0deg) and I think everything in there is toast

Will wait and see what comes back from the roots but not looking good

Good news is she only buys them for cheap at garage sales so not much money invested but may never get some of them back to where they were

Comment

Working...
                              X