Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look for land that doesn’t have illegals crossing through it

Comment

I would give up big deer and look somewhere with potential of exotics between Junction and Rocksprings. Might even be able to find something with access to Llano.

Comment

fencing around the place water (windmills and storge tanks for water it allway dry) electric on the place. If you going to running stock working pens. That allways help with TAXES. I would like the place no more than 1 hour away . That way if something needs to be done you can get there and back.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
          I would give up big deer and look somewhere with potential of exotics between Junction and Rocksprings. Might even be able to find something with access to Llano.
          Thats exactly what I did, trade south texas brush and mesquite for Rocks, Cedar and Exotics.

So far I've been happy with my choice

But the deer may surprise you, we took a 140" 11 point last year and my neighbor killed a 161" buck a few years back

Comment

My priorities were:
            Power, water, good neighbors with large tracts, secluded, and a large pond. Took a while to find it so be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
              My priorities were:
              Power, water, good neighbors with large tracts, secluded, and a large pond. Took a while to find it so be patient.
              That sums it up except the patience part. Patience is limited by 1031 restrictions unfortunately.

Thanks for all of the replies and keep them coming.

Comment

Placement of future windmill farms.

Comment

If you are wanting to buy for hunting, I would ask for several days of access to maybe corn roads, put out cameras, and drive around. Especially if you are paying 2.5 Million.

I would also ask about rural water in case you ever had to split it up for some reason. Or have access to water well.

Comment

I’m looking for the same thing in the same price range with basically the same criteria. My addition to your list is a multi acre lake without alligators, so north of San Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                      I’m looking for the same thing in the same price range with basically the same criteria. My addition to your list is a multi acre lake without alligators, so north of San Antonio.
                      Yeah, we would like a large tank or the ability/location to build one. It is on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
                        If you are wanting to buy for hunting, I would ask for several days of access to maybe corn roads, put out cameras, and drive around. Especially if you are paying 2.5 Million.

I would also ask about rural water in case you ever had to split it up for some reason. Or have access to water well.
                        Good points. We have talked about setting up cameras, etc if we can.

Comment

With that budget, and drawing a 150 mile circle around Pflugerville as a search area - I'd certainly look West. Probably try to find a good tract in Menard or Kimble County with oak trees and not too much cedar. Avoid the subdivided areas. Ground water should be good in those counties.

Get plugged in w/ a broker who knows what's coming available. In this market a lot of the better places move before hitting Lands of TX.

Depending on the property, you might be able to take down 800-1000 + acres within your budget, if it's not improved. I'd personally stay out of Anthrax prone areas like Edwards, Sutton, Crockett, Val Verde...

None of the above counties are big deer areas - but I would personally trade big deer for abundant wildlife on a place that I owned. A lease might be a different story. You could always high fence a ranch and create big ones if that's your thing.

Comment

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as a perfect place. In 13 years of selling ranches I've seen maybe 1 or 2 that were as close to perfect as you can get.

Most places its gonna be a pro vs. con and what you can live with and what you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post

Depending on the property, you might be able to take down 800-1000 + acres within your budget, if it's not improved. I'd personally stay out of Anthrax prone areas like Edwards, Sutton, Crockett, Val Verde...

None of the above counties are big deer areas - but I would personally trade big deer for abundant wildlife on a place that I owned. A lease might be a different story. You could always high fence a ranch and create big ones if that's your thing.

Only portions of the areas listed are in the Anthrax zone, with Crockett being the largest area.

I know guys who own ranches in Sutton South/South East of Sonora that have taken 170"-180" deer with numerous 160's. They don't just get talked about. Eastern Sutton is some very pretty country and loaded up with Axis. I would have bought a ranch in Eastern Sutton in a heartbeat had I found what I wanted. Edwards is a huge county like Val Verde is and there is good and bad with every county but both have good areas for both quality and numbers. The drive is the biggest drawback on these areas, alot like Crockett and Sutton.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
                                Placement of future windmill farms.
                                THIS!

going through this right now .. not fun at all ! they are starting construction and putting them right on the fence lines ... *******s!

Comment

Working...
                                X