Acorn?? For an Aborist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorn?? For an Aborist

Will all the rain decimate this falls acorn crop?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Red Oak species will not be affected since they set their acorns a year in advance. So this fall's crop will have been growing since last spring. White oaks on the other hand will be susceptible to changes for this fall. Even so as long as it doesn't come up really dry it should be fine I would think

Comment

Originally posted by tlh2865 View Post
      Red Oak species will not be affected since they set their acorns a year in advance. So this fall's crop will have been growing since last spring. White oaks on the other hand will be susceptible to changes for this fall. Even so as long as it doesn't come up really dry it should be fine I would think
      So is that why red oak acorns are so big? I know there is some other type of oak, that grows very large acorns, I don't know what it is. My mother has some red oaks, the acorns are very large, then the deer and hogs love them.

Comment

White oak acorns are larger than red oak acorns. Probably what you’re thinking of.

Comment

You guys are funny.
          I’m no expert but acorns are designed to ‘weather’ Mother Nature. They float and are cast out to spread the tree.
          I’m sure if they sit in water forever they will rot but a little moisture isn’t going to hurt em. Maybe Google will say otherwise or an arborist...

Now, if a bug eats a hole in the shell, then the acorn meat inside will rot.

Good luck to everyone this fall

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            So is that why red oak acorns are so big? I know there is some other type of oak, that grows very large acorns, I don't know what it is. My mother has some red oaks, the acorns are very large, then the deer and hogs love them.
            Might be Burr Oak

Comment

Burr oak acorns are bigger than a golfball.

Comment

I have a several red oaks. One produces huge acorns. Not native. Planted as a sampling. Other native are smaller. Love the trees.

Comment

Well, I'm no Aborist, but here's what I do know. An acorn on a white oak starts off as a flower and needs germination to grow... All the yellow stuff you see on your car........ If this process doesn't occur then white oak trees will not produce a bumber crop of acorns..... It's my understanding that a late frost/snow or all the rain could possibly be a hinderance to the development process........ Aborist would know better than most if this is so... Can we get one of those guys to chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                    Well, I'm no Aborist, but here's what I do know. An acorn on a white oak starts off as a flower and needs germination to grow... All the yellow stuff you see on your car........ If this process doesn't occur then white oak trees will not produce a bumber crop of acorns..... It's my understanding that a late frost/snow or all the rain could possibly be a hinderance to the development process........ Aborist would know better than most if this is so... Can we get one of those guys to chime in?

This is true and they made a nice crop of flowers this year. They did last year as well but they haven't made acorns in my area the last 2 years

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have plenty white oaks on my place. This is what I know every other year

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know about rain but our Live Oaks took forever to releave so im thinking acorns may be late

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
                          Don't know about rain but our Live Oaks took forever to releave so im thinking acorns may be late
                          Yeah, I've seen some that have yet to recover

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                            Yeah, I've seen some that have yet to recover

I have a few in the front of my house that are 15-30% recovered and starting to worry me.

If the reds put on mast crop a year early, I wonder what the freeze would have done to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
                              X2

Watching my live oaks slowly come back, but they still don’t look right yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X