Actual cost of an African hunt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual cost of an African hunt ?

I know a few have trips planned now, after the pandemic. After you return could you post how much the actual trip costed, ( air fare and every thing) and how many and what animals you got. ( interested in Kudu, warthog and not real picky after that. )

following

Comment

$1500 flights
      $2000-2500 1-week hunting/lodging
      $1500-2000 kudu trophy fee
      $300-500 warthog trophy fee

Tanning, shipping fees probably run about $1000.

Kudu wall pedestal mount $1500-2000

All in you’re looking at around $10K.

Comment

Depends what you’re taking and what kind of taxidermy you want. If it’s all euro mounts then $150-$200 each for the mount. Our flights were around $1500, then we spent $14K for 9 animals and a couple day trips to State Parks to see elephants and Kruger National Park, dip/pack/ship was about $2K, and my taxidermy bill was steep, but included 5 shoulder mounts and a life size Nyala. Just remember when trying to ship your animals back that everything is on African time, meaning it will happen when it happens, and any schedule is likely to change 10 times. All in we spent around $30K for 3 of us to go. We took 3 Impalas, wildebeest, warthog, kudu, sable, gemsbok, and nyala.

All said it was a trip of a lifetime and we treated it as such and were in country for 11 days. Also, it will get in your blood and you will want to go back. I started planning my next safari before we ever left to come home.

Comment

whatever your hunt/ air fare costs, double that amount and youll have a pretty close guestimate on what your total trip will cost including taxidermy and shipping.

Comment

10k to go and shoot 6-8 animals and another 10k dip,ship, pack, and mount.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
              Depends what you’re taking and what kind of taxidermy you want. If it’s all euro mounts then $150-$200 each for the mount. Our flights were around $1500, then we spent $14K for 9 animals and a couple day trips to State Parks to see elephants and Kruger National Park, dip/pack/ship was about $2K, and my taxidermy bill was steep, but included 5 shoulder mounts and a life size Nyala. Just remember when trying to ship your animals back that everything is on African time, meaning it will happen when it happens, and any schedule is likely to change 10 times. All in we spent around $30K for 3 of us to go. We took 3 Impalas, wildebeest, warthog, kudu, sable, gemsbok, and nyala.

All said it was a trip of a lifetime and we treated it as such and were in country for 11 days. Also, it will get in your blood and you will want to go back. I started planning my next safari before we ever left to come home.

Wow, that’s a heckuva sable. Dream animal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post

Crazy. I watched Beth and Buddy working on these mounts. Didn't know it was for a fellow green screener. They're awesome and are working on a velvet mule deer of mine right now.

Comment

OK….I know there are quite a few posts about “How Much Is My Safari Going To Cost”. I know this because I think I have read most of them….both before I went on my Safari and after. There is a lot of good information contained in the AH, just not all in one easy to find location. So I...

Hi guys Been scratching on this site for a while and have done some posts, however I have found mostly from feedback from my clients or other fellow hunters that have hunted Africa that there seems to be some confusion regarding total costs or total safari breakdowns, this is a subject that...

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                    Crazy. I watched Beth and Buddy working on these mounts. Didn't know it was for a fellow green screener. They're awesome and are working on a velvet mule deer of mine right now.

Awesome. They do incredible work. I have used them for all of my taxidermy work since we started hunting Mule Deer outside of Canon 6 years ago. They have done 2 mule deer, a pronghorn, an elk, and a bear for me plus all the Africa stuff. It was truly amazing to give them an idea of what I was looking for and turn them loose as artists to make it happen. I had no idea what the final product would look like until we were through there on our way to spring break and they had just finished the big mount. There was no way I could drive past the shop and not stop to say hi and see them. Buddy did a great job of keeping it off social media so that the first time I saw it was when I walked into their shop. I still sometimes go in the office and just stare speechless at it. I won’t trust anyone else with my taxidermy.

I will say this make sure you tag everything. My taxidermist sent me with about 30 tracking tags. We tagged every hide and skull with my information, the taxidermist information, and the tannery information. Then my outfitter put another tag on everything again with my information and his information. Then the dip/ship tagged everything again when they received it. I hunted with Matsuri Safaris and would highly recommend them. Can’t wait to get back and chase bushbuck and buffalo with the bow.

Comment

2014 we went for 10 days and killed 11 animals.

All in after taxi bill I believe we were around $19k.

I will say this, for what you spend on the trip, adding extra animals is probably the cheapest thing lol

Ship them back get them tanned and taxi them at a later time instead having all that cost hit at once.

One thing I also recommend, make payments to you taxi and to the outfitter through the time of booking to the hunt.

I did that and it was nice to have most everything paid up over 18 months and when we arrived I only had $4k-$5k let to worry about.

Makes you think it’s cheaper that way [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Comment

I’ve been over there 4 times, and would put Matsuri right at the top! I had an awesome time hunting there.

OP, it all depends on how many critters you shoot and how you mount them. But 10-12K is doable. Remember though, that you don’t have to have all that money at once. From first deposit till last critter mounted could be a 2yr span.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think the response information has been pretty accurate so far. The cost of hunting Africa is pretty strait forward. The only thing I’d add for a first time hunter is to hire a videographer, I hired one for my daughters high school graduation trip and am so glad I did. It brings back so many memories and I’ll cherish the video forever.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                            Wow, that’s a heckuva sable. Dream animal for me.

Thank you. It was for me as well. I just happened to luck out that the cost for Sable when I went was half of what it would normally cost to hunt one, so I jumped on the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                              I know a few have trips planned now, after the pandemic. After you return could you post how much the actual trip costed, ( air fare and every thing) and how many and what animals you got. ( interested in Kudu, warthog and not real picky after that. )
                              lots of variables. Plane tickets depend on who you fly with and what time of year. Can be as low as $1100 or as high as $2100. Animals vary on the outfitter as well. Some outfitters are cheaper than others, but that usually reflects in the overall experience and the quality of animals. Some are over priced. Do your research and find an outfitter with a good balance of price and animal quantity/quality. The lodging will also vary by outfitter and length of stay. Tips for PH, Tracker, lodge staff, cook, skinners, etc. PH is about 150-200/day, tracker 200/trip, lodge staff 50-100/trip, cook 250/trip, skinners 50-100 trip. All that depends on length of trip as well. Getting them back you will incur dip/ship costs, clearing customs, and then of course all your taxidermy needs. I hesitate to put prices down since so much of it is variable, but those are the things you should expect to pay for. Any hotel stay before or after your hunt would be on you. Any day trip is generally extra.

I've been 4 times, all with Limcroma and can't come up with a single complaint about them. I will be taking the family back over there on my next trip and I will be chasing buffalo with my bow. Africa gets in your blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X