Opinions of 300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    I've found zero uses for it. I shot a small boar hog twice in the head, 1.5" below the ear, and he was still trying to bite me when I got to him. That is not acceptable to me.
    Pretty much mirrors my experience. Every chest shot hog needed finishing even if the first round immobilized it. Granted I was using cheap ammo but I ain't putting premium fuel in my grocery getter.

Comment

Opinions of 300 Blackout

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
      So here's my question. To the guys that say the 300 is crap, what are/were your specs? Were you shooting a rifle, or a pistol? How many grains were your loads? Were they fmj's, hp's? What scope were you using? Thermals, IR, basic rifle scope? Were you shooting in daylight or nighttime? All these are legitimate questions. The same questions can apply to the guys that love or like the round? I am thinking about getting a 300BO for hog control on my little ranch, and to be honest with you, who freaking cares if you dont find the hog you shoot with it?? It's a freaking hog.

So here's my next question, is the 300 BO better in a rifle barrel or pistol. It will be suppressed as well.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I had both a Ruger Ranch and a 16” AR both shooting the 110 gr. Tac-Tx ammo. We shot hogs and javalinas, from distances of 20-75 yards. shoulder to behind shoulder shots, everything ran, and left absolutely no blood trails. I killed plenty of hogs with the Ruger Ranch with night vision, but they were all head shots. I hunt south Texas, and tracking through the brush with no blood to follow is a waste of time. I felt strongly enough about them to get rid of both guns. A 243 is a much better option and there a list of other calibers that are much better. I originally started with the bolt gun for suppressed night time hunting, and then bought the AR for my daughter to hunt with. 243 will be what she shoots next year.

Comment

well there you have it .. people admitting shooting shoulder and behind the shoulder shot .. tons of youtube videos people doing just that with 308 and 6.5 creed and they still run too ... you can't please people who refuse to follow logic and who don't spend the time and effort to shoot animals with proper shot placement ... all you're doing is going to a bigger caliber , faster , more energy to create a bigger temporary shock cavity to reach the area you should have been aiming at to begin with ... switch to rpg and i bet you you'll take them down by shooting them in the butt too ...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
          well there you have it .. people admitting shooting shoulder and behind the shoulder shot .. tons of youtube videos people doing just that with 308 and 6.5 creed and they still run too ... you can't please people who refuse to follow logic and who don't spend the time and effort to shoot animals with proper shot placement ... all you're doing is going to a bigger caliber , faster , more energy to create a bigger temporary shock cavity to reach the area you should have been aiming at to begin with ... switch to rpg and i bet you you'll take them down by shooting them in the butt too ...
          You make absolutely zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
            I ain't putting premium fuel in my grocery getter.
            This. Nobody's saying those Barnes 110s won't kill anything that moves, they're saying you're paying $1+ a round for something that is ballistically identical to $0.40 x39.

Subsonics on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              did you even watch the videos ? i'm gonna go out on a limb and say no... or maybe you're just an rpg kind of guy

either case , i don't have it in my to explain it again ... you do you boo boo!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                This. Nobody's saying those Barnes 110s won't kill anything that moves, they're saying you're paying $1+ a round for something that is ballistically identical to $0.40 x39.

Subsonics on the other hand...
                you got guys on here bragging about they 7mags , 300WM .. $3 a shot to kill these small hogs ... suddenly $1 barnes doesn't sound so bad .

Comment

So here's my question. To the guys that say the 300 is crap, what are/were your specs? Were you shooting a rifle, or a pistol? How many grains were your loads? Were they fmj's, hp's? What scope were you using? Thermals, IR, basic rifle scope? Were you shooting in daylight or nighttime? All these are legitimate questions. The same questions can apply to the guys that love or like the round? I am thinking about getting a 300BO for hog control on my little ranch, and to be honest with you, who freaking cares if you dont find the hog you shoot with it?? It's a freaking hog.

So here's my next question, is the 300 BO better in a rifle barrel or pistol. It will be suppressed as well.

9” Sons of Liberty Gunworks SBR. Scoped. Does fine on head shots. When pigs start running it just doesn’t have the *** to penetrate well and the distance is extremely limited. My grendel at 18” does it way better.

Blackout will work. Like my bow. But I don’t shoot running pigs at 100 yards with a bow at night lol.

I’ve shot supers and subs. Subs are awful on near any angle except head shots. But hell a 17 will kill em with a head shot.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDucks View Post
                    Maybe you mean 3/1000ths of an inch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I’m talking about 7.62x39 (AK) vs 7.62x35 (300 blackout). Blaistically there isn’t enough of a difference to even discuss.

Cost is another discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The blackout was designedly around a 9” barrel. It uses magnum pistol powder which makes it efficient in short barrels. I wouldn’t waste my time on a 300 blackout in a 16” barrel, but it works fantastically in short barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post

Actually he does. People comparing full size cartridges (I.e. 243 above) to an intermediate cartridge is asinine. They aren’t even close in the realm of performance, rifles, etc...

Comment

I have a remington 700 in 300aac with a sig can and scope. Killed alot of stuff with it. Even reached out on hogs at 400 yards sub sonic. Cool round but if your shooting out further then 200 yards go with something else. The round was orginally built to be put in submachine like the honey badger to replace the aging mp5sd whihc fires 9mm.

All in all if you have the money do it. I have liked my results!
                          Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 04-19-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                            ahah .. I shoot 110's because i like them and they are cheap to shoot.
                            i shoot supers because subs drop 1 mil every 25 yards ,and with thermal it's too hard to judge distance ... 300BLK was around way before 6.8 and grendel.
                            and i have one of each of those too, but they all work and BLK fit in all my mags , the other 2 don't. and i kill everything i shoot , so why use the others?
                            my grendel is a 24". the 6.8 is a 16" wilson combat side charge. i put together..
                            the grendel i use wolf ammo that i pull the fmj bullets out and replace them with control chaos .. but dead is dead ... the blackout lays them down just fine .. and when i shoot them 300 and further ... 168gr speer gold dot in my 308 is my go to as it shoots phenomenal .68 of an inch at 400 ... about .25moa ...

but .. let me get this straight .. the guy who can't manage to kill a pig with
                            2 shots of a gun with over 1300ft/lbs calling anyone a rookie?
                            you need a 300WM ?.. most people who lack skill compensate and go bigger ... cause things just don't die otherwise ... what a lame excuse.

no , i think you need to gtfo ... and go practice .. seems all you know how to do well is talk smack .

You started the smack, cupcake. I don't care what you shoot your pigs with, I'm sure your biologist is super proud of the pictures you send him.

Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

I lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig, though I am perfectly capable of making it. Did so twice on that one boar (I have no idea what bullets those were). We shoot hundreds a year, many running, some at poor angles, and the Grendel does a superior job at stopping them.

My son uses the rifle as his primary hunting weapon, and though he is a good shot, he's not always as precise as we'd like yet...therefore I use a superior cartridge for both purposes. Which in our case is the Grendel, because it is a superior hunting round to the BO. Which has been my point all along.

I don't reload, and I don't want to hunt with subs, so the BO is of no use to me.

Comment

I wish I actually had all of that info, but neither of the rifles I shot belonged to me. I know the one in question was a 12" barrel with suppressor, and the Pulsar xq38. I don't know what bullets they were, but I know they were not subs. They were some type of hunting bullet, and I know that doesn't narrow it down much. I shot the hog in question right below the ear right behind the eye, with his head up, broad side. The same place I've shot hundreds of pigs before, with everything from a .22LR on up to whatever....all died on the spot, every one but that one.

I don't know what bullet it was, what powder it was. I do know either of the shots should have, and HAVE, killed that pig where it stood with every other round/projectile. I've killed dozens with .223 fmjs with the same shot over the years, and I'll go back to that if ammo stays scarce.

The guys who owned the 3 BOs on our lease all had similar experiences, some I witnessed, some I did not.

I won't belabor the point further, because I don't care what others shoot, or that certain guys are in love with their certain round. The OP asked for opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                You started the smack, cupcake. I don't care what you shoot your pigs with, I'm sure your biologist is super proud of the pictures you send him.

Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

I lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig, though I am perfectly capable of making it. Did so twice on that one boar (I have no idea what bullets those were). We shoot hundreds a year, many running, some at poor angles, and the Grendel does a superior job at stopping them.

My son uses the rifle as his primary hunting weapon, and though he is a good shot, he's not always as precise as we'd like yet...therefore I use a superior cartridge for both purposes. Which in our case is the Grendel, because it is a superior hunting round to the BO. Which has been my point all along.

I don't reload, and I don't want to hunt with subs, so the BO is of no use to me.
                                cupcake ? who's talking smack ?

quote : Why don't you use the BO 300 and further? Rhetorical, I know why.

you already forgot posts from page 1 ? 280 yards , 2.1 mil ... dropped like a stone! .... and you were saying ?????

but let me get this straight ..you lack the time or inclination to wait for the perfect shot at a pig.. your words not mine...

And you have no personal experience to boot, it's not even your gun ... and you don't even know what kind of bullets you were shooting .. again your words not mine

****! does that mean you don't even own a bow either ?

you could have saved a lot of time to everyone and just say you have no idea what you're talking about.

me on the other hand , i like making my own bullets, building my own guns and getting max performance out of them , i got nothing but time to build on my skills .. so i don't need anything bigger to do the job .. my 300blk ar weighs 5.8 lbs, super quiet suppressed , i can carry 30 rd of ammo in a single mag , and i can carry it all night without breaking a sweat ... when i shoot , my neighbor doesn't even hear me , and often pigs show up at other feeders where they get the same fate ...

so maybe i don't shoot hundreds of them a year like "we". cause i'm sure it's not just you, you probably take the credit for your buddies too ... I only own 165 acres .. 30 to 50 a year is pretty typical , i don't totally want to eradicate them .. i'd have nothing else to shoot at ... just saw 2 sows this weekend with 26 piglets .. most with spots still ... fresh batch of targets
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X