No announcement yet.

PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record I am a person who loves to ride my bike. I think as a cyclist it is my responsibility to make sure I am out of harms way because I am usually on a road made for cars. I am the anomoly not them so I have to respect that. I am fortunate that the neighborhood I live in is very hilly so I get the range and evelation changes I need to get a good ride in and the main road is very wide. I think riding on any main thouroughfare or a road without a good shoulder is just asking for trouble. A small mistake/accident happnes when you are in your car it is usually no big deal or a fender bender, if it happens to you on your bike then it is disastrous.

Also bike riders we need to remember to follow the rules and laws of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
      For the record I am a person who loves to ride my bike. I think as a cyclist it is my responsibility to make sure I am out of harms way because I am usually on a road made for cars. I am the anomoly not them so I have to respect that. I am fortunate that the neighborhood I live in is very hilly so I get the range and evelation changes I need to get a good ride in and the main road is very wide. I think riding on any main thouroughfare or a road without a good shoulder is just asking for trouble. A small mistake/accident happnes when you are in your car it is usually no big deal or a fender bender, if it happens to you on your bike then it is disastrous.

Yes- This!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post

X2

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          Considering TxDOT is now making it pretty standard to have 14' outside lanes just to accommodate dumb ****s who want to exercise in public it really doesn't matter what the impact is. The cost is there. A road vehicle is a road vehicle and if they want equal rights pay up.

If TxDOT puts shoulders on state highways for cyclists then why do roads where cycling is prohibited include shoulders?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Guerro east- Once you come to the end behind the tennis club there is about another 5 miles you can add with little to no traffic. Back- there is 50. Do it twice- I done it 100s of time when I worked Parks. I even did it on a 700 Polarias on calls and ran 40 mph often and almost never had to slow down

I’ll check it out. I go to Decker not the tennis club, since that’s a short spur.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              If TxDOT puts shoulders on state highways for cyclists then why do roads where cycling is prohibited include shoulders?
              Um because the shoulders aren't built for the bike riders? They are to provide a portion of clear zone with things off the road (signs, trees, culverts, etc.). They are to help emergency vehicles. They are to give people a place to pull off for car troubles, maintenance, etc. They are also for pavement life as the edges start to unravel after time and this gives them a buffer to the sub structure and to the actual edge of travel for CARS. With that said it would be a million times better if bike riders stuck to roads with shoulders and stayed in the shoulder. I've said forever that bike riding should be restricted to roads with a bike lane, shoulder, neighborhood or less than 25 mph speed limit. It isn't rocket surgery.

Comment

Can’t remember when I learned this, but it has always severed me well:

“Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.”

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                  Yeah bicyclists.....always say share the road, but they usually ride like they own the road.
                  This as for bikes.

I say that they should all be licensed and should have to have a paid for plate for the bike they are operating to ride on the road....since they take it up like the own it.

Hate the bike rider who during rush hour traffic decides that he can worm his way to the front of the line at the traffic signal, just to hold traffic up again who all just spent the previous mile trying to get around him riding at 12 MPH.....just to do it all over again. This is on a busy major metro street.

God gave them common sense and the ability to be courteous.....they just choose not to use them.

Comment

Hmm..

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    Then stay off the Fing road.

Bikes that get ran over out here in my area get 0 sympathy from me, same as motorcycle dudes that end up getting killed on the road. Same for joggers running down the side of the road.

Everyone on a bike bitches about almost getting ran over almost getting swiped etc. and then just continues the same insanity and expects the entire rest of the world to change their behavior to make them happy.

You want to ride for exercise and health that's fine, go find a park, trail, literally anywhere and go do laps to get your miles in. Sure it may suck but your safe and we are safe from hitting you. Hell you should be nervous just driving down the road in your car/truck let alone on a bike, motorcycle or jogging. Lost count how many I have ran up behind in Colorado that were lucky I was paying attention. What if I hadn't been? Or the sun was just right? Is it worth it for any party involved for you to be out there on your bike? Is it worth that risk? I like to hike and get exercise as well to go chase critters in the mountains but for my safety I go walk boring laps around the local event center 12 times every couple of days. Is it boring kinda, but I do what I have to to stay safe.
                    You feel the same way about duck boats,2 man boats,and pontoons,on public waters?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                      Certainly was not trying to be that guy, I just know that with the number of texting and driving accidents these days, it’s a matter of when not if. That’s why I stopped riding motorcycles, I trusted my riding, just not the idiots looking down in their laps 90% of their commute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This!!!!!!!!!!! In my old neighborhood we had 2 walkers get hit at a 4 way stop with cross walk marked paths. Walkers assume since they have the right of way, they are free to go. I make sure the driver looks me in the eye or waives me on before I cross.

Just because you are right or have the right doesn't mean you will win. Ride a bike path, peloton, or something but be safe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I ride alot out here around Hempstead. Trying to not get pizzed at the remarks on here because I do see both sides.

I do not run stop signs or lights when I am solo. If I am in a group and they run it, I do not have much of a choice as trying to be the ONE that stops in a group will cause problems and possibly a crash.

I ride with my gun right out in the open on the small of my back. I cannot believe the crap that I see and have happen to me out on the road. People will speed up just to brush right against me on a FOUR lane road and I am as close to the right hand shoulder as possible. They seem to not want to pull over and chat about it after I invite them to stop and discuss. Weird how that works........

I have every right to be on the road the exact same as a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                          You feel the same way about duck boats,2 man boats,and pontoons,on public waters?
                          Just a little different and think you know that. Usually not posted speed limits on public waters and alot of room to go around safely if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                            I ride alot out here around Hempstead. Trying to not get pizzed at the remarks on here because I do see both sides.

I do not run stop signs or lights when I am solo. If I am in a group and they run it, I do not have much of a choice as trying to be the ONE that stops in a group will cause problems and possibly a crash.

I ride with my gun right out in the open on the small of my back. I cannot believe the crap that I see and have happen to me out on the road. People will speed up just to brush right against me on a FOUR lane road and I am as close to the right hand shoulder as possible. They seem to not want to pull over and chat about it after I invite them to stop and discuss. Weird how that works........

I have every right to be on the road the exact same as a motorcycle.
                            What you don't have the right to do is break the law as you have admitted to doing and impeding traffic. Also against the law but yes other than that you have every right to be on the road.

If all it takes is reading some comments on here to get you ****** you might be better off not riding with your pistol. Lol got to make sure it's in plain sight too huh?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post

le.
                              And there you go. Wonder why motorist get mad.

Comment

Someone told me one time - Do you know what drivers and pedestrians have in common? They both hate cyclists!

Not a cyclist myself, but I can see how it's a tough hobby. Roads are growing busier by the day and for the bike trails that do exists, you have pedestrians to deal with. Heck, there are a couple trails by my house that I don't even jog on due to the amount of bike traffic.

Regardless, I like many others get irritated more than anything from all the riders that simply don't obey traffic laws. Even in my neighborhood in Houston.

The wife and I encountered a typical situation just last week while out for a morning walk. There's a 4 way stop sign intersection in the middle of our neighborhood. We were crossing the intersection and 3 cyclists that came up from behind us literally just darted through within a foot of each of us going probably 15-20 mph. Not only is it the freaking law that they are supposed to stop a stop signs, but they even blatantly disregarded to stop and give pedestrians the right of way. Heck, they didn't even yell something to let us know they were coming up behind us. These weren't some high school kids either. These were your grown-up, all dressed up, Tour De France wannabe types.

I know a few bad apples don't make up the bunch, but if I were a cyclist, I think I would go out of my way to be courteous to the people around you. After all, it's your hobby that is impeding on other people, not the other way around. Stopping at a Stop sign, especially when pedestrians are crossing the street might be a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X