Bred Doe/Buck Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bred Doe/Buck Costs

We are kicking around the idea of improving our herd with either some bred does and/or a couple of bucks.

First how much are bred does running? I'm not looking for 300" monsters just good quality upper 100's (160-200") fairly typical. And how much for a buck in the same range, lets say 200" fairly typical? If we went the buck route, what age would be best? I'm thinking maybe 2 yr old but no idea here.

And I guess finally, is doing 1 better than the other meaning bred does vs breeder buck(s)? Thanks in advance

PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So this is what I would say sir, is your goal to grow good looking 200” pasture deer? As far as genetics if your goal is to grow 200” deer in the pasture look for 250” plus genetics. When in the pasture the deer clean up allot. For instance if you just wanted mainly 160”-170” I would say look at just look for deer with right around 200” genetics.

As far as benefits the doe will help you out much more. I would try to get bred doe and or if you can find doe fawns even better. If you did this for 3 years in a row with different genetics you will be set for awhile and see superb results.

I would strongly suggest getting a couple buck fawns and a couple mixed age bucks to help out as well.

So deer pricing has been all over the place up until the recent CWD positive from several big breeders. It has a ton of breeder in non movement status.

Prior to that I’ve seen bred doe that would suit you in the $750.00-$1,500.00 range.

Fawns are the hardest to find being as breeders don’t want to let go of them. They’re usually same price range and bred doe. Bucks fawns usually $1,000-$1,500.00 for some to suit you.

Bucks you should be able to buy you some bucks to work as breeders in the pasture for $3,500-$4,500 each.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and pms. That definitely helped the discussion we were having today. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
        X