Ever walk away from a career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    Changing jobs should be like a monkey swinging through the jungle. Don't let go of the current branch until you have the next one in your hand.
    This x 100!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      Find equivalent or better first! [emoji6] But sounds like normal corporate America [emoji631] from my experience....lol[emoji854]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      This was gonna be my suggestion. If the company isn’t treating you right, another one will. People say to try and stay with a company for life and be loyal to them. My loyalty is to my family, not a company that will replace me whenever they see fit. Find a equal or better opportunity and move on, life’s too short

Comment

No but sometimes I wish I had years ago. Been with the same company for 25yrs with pension so hard to make the move at this stage. Best of luck to you and your decision sir!

Comment

I watched my Dad be absolutely miserable at the same job for 30 years. He is not a risk taker and wouldn't say it but he was comfortable and scared of change. He is one of the smartest and hardest working guys I've ever known and I hated to see him waste his talents where he was. I told myself I would never get stuck in that rut and that I would take chances and chase opportunity when led to. I have followed that and going to work everyday isn't a burden for me.

Comment

I was in your exact same position a few years ago. I was going to leave, but before I left, I did everything I could to pick the greener pasture. Worked out great.

The stress associated with watching one of the owners of that company treat my employees (and me) like crap was too much. I will not be a part of people being taken advantage of.

Pick your pasture. And get going.

Comment

I have but not for the reasons in your original post. I just grew tired of doing what I was doing after almost twelve years. Fortunately I was provided six months pay and my company car for two additional months. I had a great record with the company and they took care of me. It ended up being a great move for me from one industry to another. If you are going to jump.....jump full bore!!!!

Comment

Hang in there, the grass is never greener on the other side. Be thankful for what you have and view the office hardships as your cross.

Comment

I have been considering this, but for different reasons. I have been in power plant operations for almost 14 years. I’m 35, and while this job has provided a great living, the shift work is getting harder on my body. now that my son is playing baseball, I’m seriously thinking of taking a big paycut, and finding something else. It’s hard to be there for him, and soon my daughter will want to do activities as well. It isn’t easy to find anything right now for a person who doesn’t have a college degree. People think I’m crazy for considering leaving a job making well over $100K a year, but working nights, weekends, and most holidays isn’t worth the money to me. I think it all depends on your situation, and I agree that the grass isn’t always greener. That’s the hard part of making a career change

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                    Great pay, decent benefits, insurance, EASY WORK, 5 weeks vacation ,etc

Ever walk away from one due to the politics, favoritism, general BS you see day to day?

Wanted to work another 7 years....but dang I feel like giving a two day notice...
                    as in I'm dragging up TODAY !
                    Cleared $200k last year. 4-weeks vacation. Great company and folks to work with. I am very, very blessed.

I'm just BORED! I hate to think about working here 3 more years till retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                      So y'all send your work to us!

It gets harder everyday. We have no management that has ever run a machine. Most have never seen a machine shop until they hired in here. But they sure can tell us how to do things.

its sad when upper management tells lower management to not create waves, so in essence do what you want, because there are no consequences, and yes when they direct hire in guys as top G5's and they can't even run a simple part, but we must come every day and just keep the head down and move forward..

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        This was gonna be my suggestion. If the company isn’t treating you right, another one will. People say to try and stay with a company for life and be loyal to them. My loyalty is to my family, not a company that will replace me whenever they see fit. Find a equal or better opportunity and move on, life’s too short
                        some true stuff said here.
                        i played the loyalty game for 15 years helping so called friends get there shop going, by me and the owners son working our 8 hr day job and going to the new shop afterwards till midnight, until they got on there feet, hired me to run the shop and everything else, i gave up family for them, then one day , it was a separation interest and out the door, with nothing, that was the best thing they could have done to me, as i now make double of what they paid me , better off. so, loyalty is never something that is paid back in most cases

Comment

I would probably ride it out to the finish. Of course I dont know anything about what you do so its easy to say.....I do know that things can be worse, much worse. I quit a job due to boredom, lack of opportunity to advance and politics. Went out on my own and it is so much more pressure, work, hours and stress its almost unbearable at times. But, ( like I'm recommending you ) I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone and looking for the ultimate payoff. Your is much more sure than mine. I could very likely fail and end up with nothing.

Comment

I got feed up with the political BS and left. Was unemployed for about 2 months and had one of my best holiday and deer seasons ever (I was stress free). Three persons filled my old job duties.

I was then approached about employment- accepted a new job and turned out to be my best career move ever. Never looked back- considered it all a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                              Great pay, decent benefits, insurance, EASY WORK, 5 weeks vacation ,etc

Ever walk away from one due to the politics, favoritism, general BS you see day to day?

Wanted to work another 7 years....but dang I feel like giving a two day notice...
                              as in I'm dragging up TODAY !
                              very few places are immune to bs these days. New faces, new themes but same old stuff.

one company I worked for I thought was absolute heaven, Mobil Pipeline. Treated you like family, would bend over backwards to help you.
                              Then the bean counters took over. Anything to turn a dollar and/or the boost the financial clout and appease stockholders.
                              Since the bean counters have taken over the financial end of corporations, there is no such thing as job security, job enjoyment, or even common sense.
                              Last edited by hpdrifter; 03-18-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Nope. Stuck out 30 years with the city for the years after retirement. Got thick skin, don't mind hard work and long hours. You have to a vision of the bigger picture.
                                Now I run my own business plus draw that retirement.
                                End of July will be 7 years of getting paid NOT to deal with the politics, butt kissing, half azz workers, micromanagers and dwindling budgets even though the tax base has expanded exponentially.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X