Used Generac 20kw & 17kw value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Generac 20kw & 17kw value?

I have the opportunity to purchase 2 propane fuel Generac back-up generators, but I’m not sure what their value is. I did a quick search, but didn’t find much comparable. To my knowledge, neither generator has ever been run. They were set, and the electrical was run on one of them, but neither ever had the gas lines connected. That means there’s no warranty, and they haven’t been started monthly. What does the green screen think they’re worth? I’m waiting on confirmation, but I believe they’re 6-8 years old. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3600 rpm will be around $5000 and the 1800 rpm will be around $10,000. I’ll take whichever one you pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
      3600 rpm will be around $5000 and the 1800 rpm will be around $10,000. I’ll take whichever one you pass on.

I’m waiting to get my hands on the owner’s manuals, but they’re Generac Guardians. Not sure on RPM’s. From what I’ve seen, they’re $4k-$6k brand new with warranty.

Comment

Anybody else have any ideas on where to look for comps?

Comment

Northern Tool website

Comment

If it were me, I'd look at new and offer 1/2 of new assuming you can hook up a portable tank and be sure it fires up. Check the oil level first before you fire it up. As long as the oil doesn't look like crap, a short run would be OK but first thing I'd do when I get it back is change the oil to new and go through the break in process as if it was brand new.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm being a cheap SOB, but you'll have no warranty or support if it craps out. Beyond half price I wouldn't purchase it personally.

The 17KW looks to be discontinue as was about 3800-3900 with the transfer switch. The 20KW seems to have been about $4300-4800.
            Last edited by ken800; 02-26-2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
              If it were me, I'd look at new and offer 1/2 of new assuming you can hook up a portable tank and be sure it fires up. Check the oil level first before you fire it up. As long as the oil doesn't look like crap, a short run would be OK but first thing I'd do when I get it back is change the oil to new and go through the break in process as if it was brand new.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm being a cheap SOB, but you'll have no warranty or support if it craps out. Beyond half price I wouldn't purchase it personally.

The 17KW looks to be discontinue as was about 3800-3900 with the transfer switch. The 20KW seems to have been about $4300-4800.

I agree with you 100%. I don’t want to offend the seller, but I was going to offer $1500-$2k, for the exact reasons you listed.

Comment

Make sure the transfer switch comes with them. I would offer $1500 each. You still have to disconnect them, wire then up and hope they last for a few years.

I just bought a new 20 KW Onan/Cummins with transfer switch and I paid 5K out the door and $1200 for install

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                  Make sure the transfer switch comes with them. I would offer $1500 each. You still have to disconnect them, wire then up and hope they last for a few years.

I just bought a new 20 KW Onan/Cummins with transfer switch and I paid 5K out the door and $1200 for install

Would you ping me a contact - I’ll jump all over it for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
                    X2

Comment

Call your electric provider to find out what your daily and peak kw demands are.
                      If you buy an oversized generator, youre just paying for more generator than you need, as well as more fuel expense to run it..
                      A 10/12kw unit will operate and consume less fuel than a 20kw

Comment

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post

X3. That seems cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post

****!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                            Call your electric provider to find out what your daily and peak kw demands are.
                            If you buy an oversized generator, youre just paying for more generator than you need, as well as more fuel expense to run it..
                            A 10/12kw unit will operate and consume less fuel than a 20kw

It will but if you run it 100% capacity all the time it will not last as long either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The seller wants $3k each for them. I offered $2k and they declined. Not worth it if there’s no warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X