Scent control idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scent control idea...

I recently had a burst of imagination, I bought a stanard plastic tote about L24"xW14"xD10". I hunt in south texas "Brush Country" I cut branches off multiple species of native shrubs in my hunting spots. I cut them to length in order to fit them in the tote. I plan to put my hunting clothes in th tote and let them marinate with natrual scents, which will be a week from today. I'm going to give this a try. Has anyone ever tried this? I'd like some feedback. Is this a good idea?

I have thought about doing it several times but never actually done it. Be interested to see what others say.

Comment

Originally posted by Spener54 View Post
      I have thought about doing it several times but never actually done it. Be interested to see what others say.

Iv had the branches in the tote for about 4hrs now, and dang! It is a really powerful odor, smells very herbal.

Comment

I do this with cut cedar. Have a good bit around my hunting area. Works well.

Comment

Good idea. Lots of guys been doing it for years. It works.

Comment

My uncle was a huge hunter and he use to put cedar branches in trash bags with his clothes years and years ago- way b4 there was ever any scent control products on the market. He has one of the biggest trophy rooms that I have ever seen! It works!!!

Comment

I hunt in the panhandle and have mesquite and sage so I guess I will be cutting some next time I'm up and packing it in my trunk.

Comment

I've done this with cedar and it works well

Comment

I used to do it with cedar all the time. Just make sure you shake all the ticks and spiders off first.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    I used to do it with cedar all the time. Just make sure you shake all the ticks and spiders off first.

Nothing like putting on tick infused clothes

Comment

I boiled cedar, hackberry and wild sage, then added a dab of peroxide. Put it in a spray bottle and sprayed down all my clothes then sealed them in air tight bags.
                      Try that!

Comment

Originally posted by Brhibler1 View Post
                        I boiled cedar, hackberry and wild sage, then added a dab of peroxide. Put it in a spray bottle and sprayed down all my clothes then sealed them in air tight bags.
                        Try that!
                        What does the peroxide do?

Comment

There are no cedar trees in the surrounding area, does it matter if I use it. Are the deer going to recognize the scent even if its not native to the area?

Comment

I used cedar twigs in my bag when I hunted coryell, but for some reason haven't done it here in smith. Thanks for the reminder

Comment

Lol, I believe it helps neutralize odors. Actually took away the potency of the boiled vegetation.
                              Add peroxide if you want, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X