3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck help needed

I know the TBH Braintrust will help me out on this one. Looking to buy a NEW 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck long or short bed to pull a 30' fifth wheel travel trailer.
    Currently looking at the big three diesels, with auto trans.
    Dodge-Cummings
    Chevy-Duramax
    Ford-Powerstroke
    Also what would be better, long bed or short bed for a fifth wheel hauler.

Let me hear the good and the bad

Thanks for your help!

Everyone has their own opinions and mine is Duramax for sure. Been there done that with Dodge and between mine and friends new Fords I've driven I still say Duramax.

Dually would be ideal but if not go with the longbed.

Comment

Long bed.

Comment

Hey. I run a f350 short bed ex cab I like it better just because it gets around easy in tight places. The long bed works better just because of the room from the rear window of the truck and the trailer.As far as the truck goes they all will pull it .

Comment

LONG BED all the way. It is the only way to go for a 5th wheel. As far as what truck just stay away from 07-09 or so Dodge, any 6.0 or 6.4 ford (03 to 09 or so) and on the duramax I am not sure they ever had a bad year. Only other thing I can tell ya is don't listen to 99% of the crap folks will say when bashing one brand or the other, they are biased on the brand they have or want to have or their girlfriend has. Sure there are a few you should stay away from so try and find out who knows and who doesn't (don't believe all the my bud is a ford tech and they make a good living or my bud is a dodge tech and has no time to hunt due to overtime bla bla. Of all the new trucks on the market I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Long bed. Ford 2006 6.0 here- going strong.

Comment

They all pull! I've pulled trailers with the new 6.7 Cummins and the most recent Duramax. They both pulled pretty great, I can't say anything ill about either one but I would venture to say the Duramax pulled better (Both trucks were chipped, not sure what the difference in HP was). On that note my dad has a 6.7 PSD that he hauls heavy loads with tons of wind drag in and he says it never misses a beat. All of these trucks are 3/4 tons by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                Long bed. Ford 2006 6.0 here- going strong.
                You done opened up a can of worms! (I love my 6.0 too)

Comment

From someone that owns and pulls a 33' fifth wheel, get a long bed, either a C/C or whatever you want. You can pull with a short bed, but you will have to go with a slider hitch. Personally, I would go with the 6.7 Ford over any of the others. Definitleybstay away from the 6.0 or 6.4 Fords.

On another note, I have spent close to 10 grand for repairs to my 2006 6.0, all out of warranty. That is a good reason to stay away.

Comment

I guess I will be in the minority because I recommend a short bed. I have pulled several 5th wheels with mine and have had zero issues. For one I can't stand the look of the long bed, plus it is harder to maneuver when not towing. I also recommend Duramax for no other reason than it is what I drive and don't have any issues.

Comment

My personal opinion would be to go with Dodge because i have only owned Dodge diesels.We do have Fords at work and they are constantly having issues.There is a Ford dually sitting in my engine bay right now with 5100 miles on it and its been in the shop quite few times.We recently purchased a Ford 450 for a Brush truck and it wont get out of its own way and its only got a 2000lb sked on it and it gets 7 mpg. Killeen and Coryell county Ambulances swithed from Fords to Dodges and havent looked back.The trucks we have on the ranch have been hooked up to some very heavy loads and these trucks are work horses.My FIL owns a Dodge, the ranch hand owns a Dodge ,and so do I. Because they Work.Go to any rodeo and check out whats in the Parking lot and what the cowboys are hauling with. A Majority(not all) will be Dodge. Dont have alot of Faith in Ford cause they have swtiched Motors about a 100 times in the past 13 yrs.Dodge and Chevy have stuck with what works.I like the duramax alot and the Allison Tranny is a Beast as well .....but they are Pricey and to rich for my blood.As far as the right truck, that depends on you.If your gonna be pulling this travel trailer all the time then get a Dually, you will be Happier.If this a once or twice a yr deal then get a Long bed single axle 1 ton ,no sense in buying 6 tires when 4 will do.The extra leaf spring in the rear suspension will come in Handy.I have pulled over 30,000lbs with my Dodge in a 3/4ton and it was fine but thats a rare occasion,If i was doing that more often then i would either get a 1ton Dually or Single axle 1 ton.

Comment

Long bed for sure. I have a f350 single wheel long bed and love it. 6.7 psd. But any of the 3 will pull fine but I highly recommend long bed. Can u pull one with short, yes but but long will always be better.

Comment

2000 3/4 ton 7.3 powerstroke short bed crew cab
                          pulls great maneuvers great in tight spaces. just don't turn super sharp when backing, possible to jackknife camper against back of cab. I put the king pin adapter on mine and connect to my gooseneck ball.
                          24.5 gooseneck camper

measure from the center of the king pin on trailer to the side of camper, then measure from gooseneck ball or fifthwheel plate to back window. you will know if its going to hit or not.

Comment

I've had all 3 brands,and they were all good for dragging stuff.I never pulled a camper/fifth wheel,but a good friend of mine sold his Duramax/shortbed,and bought a long bed.

Comment

I have a great friend who is the GM of Moritz Chevy in FW if you're interested, pm me and I'll get you name and number. Of course they have both used and new.

Comment

Working...
                              X