Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
J-Fish
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker and Menard County
Default neck shots with gun

How many of you guys successfully neck shoot deer when gun hunting? Any sweet spot you would like to talk about? Any defiant don't do's you would like to share?

I ask because I have always been taught to heart and lung shoot like you would with a bow, but often find myself tearing up the better part of a lower shoulder.

Share the wisdom....
J-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
How many of you guys successfully neck shoot deer when gun hunting? Any sweet spot you would like to talk about? Any defiant don't do's you would like to share?

I ask because I have always been taught to heart and lung shoot like you would with a bow, but often find myself tearing up the better part of a lower shoulder.

Share the wisdom....
Not much meat on the shoulder. Shoot there. I know many people have seen deer jaws blown on and they run away. Just my opinion
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I've done it twice. Once in the throat patch of a doe that was blowing at me, and once in the middle of the neck on a buck who was broadside but had a big pine tree blocking his vitals. Both were less than 75 yards from a good rest and both were DRT. Not my preferred shot though.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Heart, lungs for me. Front shoulders pretty good also. Don't run far. Not much meat on there anyways.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

If I decide to shoot one in the neck, i normally aim just in front of the shoulder enough to not hit it.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
DRettele
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Depends upon the situation...
I have taken many with neck shots using my .45 Colt lever gun.
I am usually inside of 50 yards and always broadside.
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
kingranch
Ten Point

I took a majority of my good bucks aiming broadside between mid neck and top of shoulder- if u hit with a big round or even a fast BT it will shatter the spine and the major carotid/vertebral arteries
Usually Drt shot
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
xman59
Pope & Young

i have seen and heard of dozens of deer wounded with low neck shots,,, if i choose for a neck shot it is as high as i can get and still be neck,,, that shot has been for me and everyone i know 100% drt.... i prefer it looking straight at me
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
If I decide to shoot one in the neck, i normally aim just in front of the shoulder enough to not hit it.
This
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I've only intentionally shot one deer in the neck. An axis doe at 63 yards with a suppressed Remington 788 in .223. That rifle was a tack driver and I knew that it was doable at that range. I wouldn't try it past 100 yards, ever. I saw one buck on a south Texas ranch one time that someone had tried to poach and missed, shooting the buck's lower jaw off. One of our hunters put him down.

I help supply axis meat for a VFD fundraiser and they insist that the animals are shot in the neck or head to reduce meat loss. I donated one last year that I shot through the shoulders with a .257 Roberts and 90 gr. X bullet and it went straight down as usual. Small entry and small exit wound. They kinda stuck their nose up at it a little, but the wind was howling at about 35 mph that morning and I wasn't going to risk wounding one. They took the deer anyway.

All that being said I probably won't ever take another neck shot.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
odessahunter
Spike

I have always neck shot and never had one run off. Even my son who is now 11 has taken all but one of his deer with a neck shot. If your rifle is sighted in properly and you have a good steady rest within 150yds, that shot is a great kill shot.
odessahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
Canoe1
Ten Point

I've taken several with neck (not head) shots.
I prefer to aim high on the neck, maybe around 3" below the head (basically lower part of throat patch, if looking at you).
Either get them, or clean miss.
Only taken them within 75 yards or less and a good solid rest.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Canoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I take neck shots on does if they are +- 50 yards and I have a scope. Broadside, either looking forward or towards me. Usually aim right in the center of the neck vertically. I used to always take neck shots farther no problem. Then I blew a jaw off last year. The shock dropped her and I was luckily able to run down and finish her off. Since that incident, it's no longer my preferred shot.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Oh good! Another neck shot thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Bottom line of the throat patch, when they're looking right at me.... 95% of the time... if I'm shooting free hand I will take a shoulder shot
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I've never shot one in the neck. If I have an awesome rest and reasonable wind and a gun I trust I shoot them in the head. I know that's not popular around here, I know the horror stories of deer with their jaws blown off. I don't take that shot unless I'm 100% confident in the situation. If everything is not perfect I'm shooting for heart/lungs.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

This topic really boils down to one thing

HOW PROFICIENT WITH YOUR GUN ARE YOU?

Some folks practice shooting year round & their weapons are properly sighted in. These are the folks who probably shoot animals in this method.

Some folks shoot their weapon a week or two before season and as long as they are hitting a pie plate area they are good. These are the folks who should NEVER use this method.

To answer your question though:
I prefer neck shots most of the time IF the conditions are right for it. If the conditions are NOT right, I will use the "high shoulder" method (drops them in their tracks like a neck shot but does waste some meat)

Remember this saying:
"Shoot them high, watch them die;
Shoot them low, watch them go.

Last edited by Deathrow Jethro; 10-09-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #19
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
This x100
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
J-Fish
Eight Point

So why all the jaw shots? Shooting them a little too high in the neck? Not good judge of distance?

I could see it if you were going for a head shot more then a neck shot.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
J-Fish
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post

Some folks practice shooting year round & their weapons are properly sighted in. These are the folks who probably shoot animals in this method.

Some folks shoot their weapon a week or two before season and as long as they are hitting a pie plate area they are good. These are the folks who should NEVER use this method.
Very, very true.... brings a lot of truth to the questing.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

A neck shot is as good as any shot IF you can put a bullet exactly where you are aiming EVERYTIME.. Not much margin for error here.. Low or high a few inches could result in a wounded animal that you will most likely never find and will eventually die of infection..
I know guys who do it on a regular basis with success and other who will never do it again because they lost a animal..
It's all about accuracy!!
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

In front of shoulder. I don’t like head shots but neck shots to me are preferred. I ran a tracking dog for years. Tracked a bunch of shoulder, heart shots. Not many in neck. My kid has probably stopped 100 heartbeats with a 22-250 all in the neck. I have killed plenty same rifle same spot
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #24
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

If I'm shooting a gun it's the only shot I take. Perfectly broadside center and center. Center half way up from bottom of throat to top, and center of neck from shoulder to head. I've killed a many a deer this way, and they don't ever move. Either you miss or you don't. I do not like shoulder shots because I like to save all the meat I can. I do not like them face on and I do not like head shots as I've seen a blown out jaw before and that is a terrible way for a deer to suffer. We did not find that deer even though we tracked her well over 1000 yards.
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #25
J-Fish
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
In front of shoulder. I donít like head shots but neck shots to me are preferred. I ran a tracking dog for years. Tracked a bunch of shoulder, heart shots. Not many in neck. My kid has probably stopped 100 heartbeats with a 22-250 all in the neck. I have killed plenty same rifle same spot
Thats some pretty good info with the tracking dog info. Good to know.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
deerplanter
Ten Point

When I gun hunt which is rare now, I only do neck shots and I shoot pretty much where the head meets the neck. I either miss clean or I am recovering a deer in it's tracks. I don't miss often either and never had one yet run off with a wound from a neck shot but have lost a couple with a shoulder shot.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #27
txhunter007
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post

To answer your question though:
I prefer neck shots most of the time IF the conditions are right for it. If the conditions are NOT right, I will use the "high shoulder" method (drops them in their tracks like a neck shot but does waste some meat)

Remember this saying:
"Shoot them high, watch them die;
Shoot them low, watch them go.
This
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #28
Ricky454
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Cant count how many i have shot in the neck. I shoot a 22-250 and they never get up. Top 4 or 5 inchs of the neck. Know your weapon, thats the key.
Ricky454 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #29
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

Too much good meat on the neck and shoulder, I center punch the ribcage and save all of the meat. I guess im getting old but a heavy for caliber bullet at about 2700 fps thru the ribs does it every time.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #30
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

If I’m shooting from a good rest, I take neck shots right in the throat patch. I have to be confident in the shot for me to take it though.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #31
mbfranklin
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin

I shot my first buck in the neck when I was 5 with a 22 hornet. I have probably shot 30-40 dear this way in my lifetime. All of those but one have dropped right where they stood. Middle of the white spot while the deer is looking at you...deadly.
mbfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #32
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

All of the deer I shoot on our ranch or at buddies places all get neck shots with my .223. At our ranch and friends places all shots are under 200 yards. Having said that there has been numerous places I have hunted that I shot deer with my .270 behind the shoulder because most shots are over 200 yards. It all depends on situation, just happens more often than not I’m in a situation in a blind with deer feeding allowing for a shot with zero marginal error.

When I take neck shots I’ll shoot for about 4-6in past base of the head/neck centered between top and bottom. Does I will ear hole or between eye and ear. But again I don’t do this every where I go, just places where I’m 100% positive I can make that shot no problem.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
jcl
Four Point

I have had success with neck shots. Usually aim a little below the head/ear on a broadside shot. just hit where you aim and she will drop where she stands.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #34
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I always shoot animals with a rifle just below the ear as I was taught as a kid growing up. My German Grandparents always said its a waste of good meat shooting in the shoulder. I've never had an issue with anything running off as they always drop in their tracks.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #35
J-Fish
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I always shoot animals with a rifle just below the ear as I was taught as a kid growing up. My German Grandparents always said its a waste of good meat shooting in the shoulder. I've never had an issue with anything running off as they always drop in their tracks.
I like the fact that you was taught that growing up and to me make perfect since about not wasting meat.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #36
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Thereís much more/better meat in the neck than the shoulder. I donít buy the argument/excuse of neck shooting instead of lung/shoulder shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #37
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Thereís much more/better meat in the neck than the shoulder. I donít buy the argument/excuse of neck shooting instead of lung/shoulder shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's a fact especially on bucks.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #38
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I like a good neck roast over front shoulders. Once you see a few pictures of deer with their jaws blown off walking around trying eat and drink and slowing dying, it should encourage you to stick to where you have been shooting them.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

For doe I shoot neck half way up..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #40
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
This..................
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #41
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I've never shot one in the neck. I like the neck meat. I have shot one right between the eyes with my 7 mag. It makes for a real short tracking job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #42
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

If it's me, I am going here 95% of the time. Buck or doe, unless I want the buck mounted. The back/underside of the ear is generally my aiming point, I will go a little farther back if they are at distance just to provide some room for error. From my experience, this shot allows for little to no chance of jaw blowoff, unless you are not confident in your shot/lack shot skill.
Attached Images

Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #43
RR 314
Ten Point

Right in the center. . .
Attached Images

RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #44
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Not sure how a missed neck shot blows the jaw up- sounds like head shots to me. Neck shots I take are 15 inches from jaw
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #45
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

When a deer is walking straight at me I will take the neck shot. If you wait they will raise their head and look left or right. Wait for them to raise their head and look sideways and take them about halfway between the jaw and shoulder. The higher the better.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #46
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Heart/Lung ALL day long. Just behind the shoulder and DRT. If you have ever seen a deer with a poorly placed shot that took off their jaw, at least for me it PO'D me big time! No reason to challenge your shooting if you're not convinced your equipment and abilities will suffice.

I know it's all about skill and proper sighting rifle wise, but I was also taught AND taught my 3 son's ETHICAL KILLS!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #47
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

If the deer is facing me, I'd take a head or neck shot. Never thought about taking a neck shot from the side, but I'd be open to it. Definitely not a HS from the broadside.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #48
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Back when I was much younger and would still pull out a rifle I hunted with a .243, 100 grain bullet most the time. Most my deer were in the Texas Hill Country. Most shot opportunities were within 100 yards and a neck shot in the white spot was the routine shot. I never had one go anywhere but straight down. But then again that .243 shot nickle sized groups all day long and I was confident in the shot placement. Only time I went behind the shoulder was if I was thinking of getting a buck mounted.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #49
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I have no problem with neck shots, especially in short yardage situations; i.e. within 100 yards, etc.

Bad shots happen. I'm sure many of deer have died slow painful deaths due to bad shots intended for shoulder/lung area.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #50
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

I've shot many a deer and pig with neck shots, never had a problem. I do believe in making sure my rifles are sighted in and I practice regularly throughout the year (all of my rifles are between 0.5-1 MOA). I've shot a few mid neck, but most are high neck shots. Never had an animal take a step after being shot.

Last edited by stxhunter; 10-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top