Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default Nameplate for sonís workbench

Cut this out with my torch this morning. Didnít come out as good as I hoped but itís probably as good as I should have expected given my extreme lack of experience. Gonna clean it up and let him weld it on to his bench himself.

One thing I havenít figured out is what to do when the metal and makes a mess. I canít get a clean cut after that happens. Happened on the C, 2, and 8. Seems like the metal changes and doesnít take the heat the same way. Always have to start from a different direct and cut back into the mess. I think for this project I should have used a smaller tip. Iíll go get a 00 like Hogslayer78 suggested to me and maybe try some more practice.

Still learning little by little. A torch is intimidating before I get started but once I get going itís a very simple tool that does some pretty cool stuff pretty easy.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Living the dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
sendit
Ten Point

There are many factors being able to make quality cuts with a oxy/acetylene torch.

Practice on scrap pieces.

Where to start.... Using the correct size tip(perferably clean too)and correct pressures help as well as correct flame and speed of travel. Steadiness is needed and important.... your cut is s reflection of your hand movements. If thatís gauge material you could get by with a 00 or 000 tip. Those are just a few pointers of the top of my head.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
There are many factors being able to make quality cuts with a oxy/acetylene torch.

Practice on scrap pieces.

Where to start.... Using the correct size tip(perferably clean too)and correct pressures help as well as correct flame and speed of travel. Steadiness is needed and important.... your cut is s reflection of your hand movements. If thatís gauge material you could get by with a 00 or 000 tip. Those are just a few pointers of the top of my head.

Thanks for the help. Itís a size 1 tip. Stock was 3/16Ē plate. For cutting straight lines I do ok, since I clamp down a section of 2Ē angle to use as a guide and straightedge. This was my first attempt freehanding. I was surprised at how every slight wiggle shows up in the cut. I enjoy using the torch, very unique tool.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top