Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Default Arrow weight recommendations

Looking arrow weight recommendations for my son. Heís pulling 41lbs now. Broadhead of choice is either 125gr Solid with bleeder blade or 100gr German Kentics. Iíve got some Black Eagle Deep Impact 400 spline I was thinking about using, they will come in around 450gr. But is that to heavy for 41lbs?
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

No 450gr. Is great. Build that arrow with foc. Work on his tune so it's flying the best it can. Then limit his range. Say 15 yards max can go a little further but no reason to at all.
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

450 is a great weight. Wonít be smoking fast but will be a pretty lethal setup with a good penetrating broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
RJH1
Eight Point

What bow and draw length?
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
What bow and draw length?
Quest Radical, 25Ē dl.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
wdtorque
Eight Point

Nice set up. Keep the broadhead small and sharp! Solid or GK from Germany are winners.
wdtorque is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
RJH1
Eight Point

I would definitely be in the 15 yards max camp. Have you chronoed the bow? I am guessing about 160 fps (maybe less) with a 450 grain arrow, which is ok but it is good to know the limitations. I would also probably go with a 2 blade broadhead with a straight edge like a stinger instead of the convex edge heads
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

I was able to turn his bow up today. Got him to 51lbs. I’ll chrony it tomorrow to see what we’re getting. Thanks for all the responses. I just get nervous when it comes to my kids bow hunting. I want to make sure & teach them we do our best to ethically & humanly take deer with our bows.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #9
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-N-Red View Post
I was able to turn his bow up today. Got him to 51lbs. Iíll chrony it tomorrow to see what weíre getting. Thanks for all the responses. I just get nervous when it comes to my kids bow hunting. I want to make sure & teach them we do our best to ethically & humanly take deer with our bows.
Go Dad!
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

It’s gonna be slow but should hit with plenty of momentum. Keep it under 15 and he will have plenty of speed and penetration
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was able to turn his bow up today. Got him to 51lbs. Iíll chrony it tomorrow to see what weíre getting. Thanks for all the responses. I just get nervous when it comes to my kids bow hunting. I want to make sure & teach them we do our best to ethically & humanly take deer with our bows.
Iím gonna be the odd man out, as I donít see the heavy, slow arrow being the deal. I have over 25 years of experience with a hunter shooting exactly same specs, although I canít compare his bow to my wifeís bow in performance. My wife has killed more than 50 whitetails from Texas to Kansas, and scoring up to 152Ē and weighing up to 175 lbs. Her arrow weighs in at slightly less than 300 grains total, and she uses the 85 grain Slick Trick. The deer usually have 2 holes. This arrow weight gives her a good speed for her shirt DL, and low poundage.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
ganngus
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett/Guadalupe/Gillespie/Webb Counties, Colorado, & New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Iím gonna be the odd man out, as I donít see the heavy, slow arrow being the deal. I have over 25 years of experience with a hunter shooting exactly same specs, although I canít compare his bow to my wifeís bow in performance. My wife has killed more than 50 whitetails from Texas to Kansas, and scoring up to 152Ē and weighing up to 175 lbs. Her arrow weighs in at slightly less than 300 grains total, and she uses the 85 grain Slick Trick. The deer usually have 2 holes. This arrow weight gives her a good speed for her shirt DL, and low poundage.
I am in this camp as well. My mother shoots close to the same specs as your wife. She's managed to take a P&Y Pronghorn at 40 yds shooting lighter and faster.

Unless you are trying to get penetration on an elk or something with more mass, I would probably lighten up the set up and try to increase the speed.
ganngus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

My vote is for the heavier arrow---not so much for the momentum, but for a much quieter shot. Important at 15 yds for sure.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Ok I’ve bumped him to my Bear Arena 30 at 50lbs. Haven’t chronied it yet but it’s a lot faster than his Radical. Moved the peep down just have to tie it in & let him start shooting when he gets home.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #15
RJH1
Eight Point

Quote:
Ok Iíve bumped him to my Bear Arena 30 at 50lbs. Havenít chronied it yet but itís a lot faster than his Radical. Moved the peep down just have to tie it in & let him start shooting when he gets home.
Well that bow looks to IBO 45 fps faster than the original bow you listed, so basically i would not worry too much about arrow weight any longer. I would just get something 350-400 grains with a COC broadhead and call it good. Something like a gold tip 400 and a 100-125 grain broadhead should be fine
Old 09-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
cdorrell
Spike

165gr stowes, 340 or 400 bemans, work great.
cdorrell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
Gscott
Nubbin' Buck

Gscott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top