Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo
Default Granger Lake Archery Hunting 2018-2019 Season

Got drawn for Granger Lake E-Postcard. I'll be out there for the first time.

Who else got drawn?
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Masmak
Six Point

Hunt In: Need a place!!

Not me
Masmak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmak View Post
Not me
Ever hunted there?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Sarge03
Eight Point

Hunt In: Private Lease in Splendora and SHNF

I did! Pretty excited about it as well. Iím surprised there isnít a ďGranger Deer ThreadĒ established already. Seems like the majority of the conversation run over the hog hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sarge03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
WTJim
Eight Point

Will be at the last chance draw....again
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
ateague11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hare, TX

Won’t be hunting there but at my lease 2-3miles down river
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge03 View Post
I did! Pretty excited about it as well. Iím surprised there isnít a ďGranger Deer ThreadĒ established already. Seems like the majority of the conversation run over the hog hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know I was too. Iíll go look at that thread too
Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Lots and lots of hogs!!

Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 09-04-2018 at 10:40 PM.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #9
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Granger is a Hog hunters paradise with a few deer!

Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 09-04-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Looks like they drew a bunch of far away rookies this season....there are very few deer here! The hogs pushed them out!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #11
bowhunterhelm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

There are some giants over there as well. They are hard to hunt though. I got drawn owner there about 15 years ago and shot two does. They showed
us pics and video of deer that weee on the WMA. Big boys!
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

There are some great deer on Granger. you will have to put in your work. If I was coming from out of area I would come spend 4-5 days hog hunting (scouting) and develop a game plan. I would focus either on the area below the **** or around the primitive camp. good luck and congrats on a great opportunity
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
Rockstar69
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Not sure yet

I walked Granger yesterday for the first time. Guess I didn't get drawn, assume it is an email notification? Saw around 20 deer moving through the woods ahead of me at various times. Did have one nice 10 pt about 40yds. Didn't see or hear any hogs but sure found where they like to hang out. Was really disappointed but not surprised to see the trash left by fisherman. I will definitely be going back looking for my first Texas hog.
Rockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Rambo1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
Will be at the last chance draw....again
I'll be there, too. Good luck!
Rambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Not I, haven't drawn there since 2013. I saw they had over 2000 draw applications last year, wonder how many there were this year?
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
There are some giants over there as well. They are hard to hunt though. I got drawn owner there about 15 years ago and shot two does. They showed
us pics and video of deer that weee on the WMA. Big boys!
There used to be some giant deer mounts in the room they do the orientation at the check station, but they are gone now last time I was there. Most of them I believe where WMA poachers that got caught, or road kill, some might have been just been shed pairs they found.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Rockstar69
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Not sure yet

I saw a couple of very nice bucks this morning as I looked for hogs. Heavy, wide and tall.
Rockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #18
sticknstring
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rule and Turkey, Tx

Woohoo! I drew this hunt- I really look forward to coming back to Granger! I spent many many hours in granger years ago when I had a lot of time on my hands. Killed a few deer on several drawn hunts too but it's been quite a few years. I look forward to meeting some of you tbher's that were fortunate enough to draw this year! Good luck to all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
sticknstring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #19
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Good to see some other TBHrs will be out there. Ready to get hunting
Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #20
bossbowman
Ten Point

Are they still allowing feeders and stands out there or is it hand scattering only and pack in pack out now?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
WTJim
Eight Point

Pack in, pack out and last I knew you could set up permanent feeder but the meth heads and private landers bordering WMA scour the land for free stuff to them...Be cautious and expect your set up to be stolen, hunted or messed with...All the attention Granger gets on social media has really reduced the quality..Been out bowhunting hogs and come across gun toting poachers couple times.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
bossbowman
Ten Point

I never understood their rule of letting you lay claim to a spot with a feeder and stand, seems like its caused lots of drama on social media over the years, I thought they might have changed the rules since (that you have to leave out of there what you came with). Some public places n the state used to have a 48 or 72 hours stand rule but now most are going to you can't leave it.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #23
NxSTexan
Four Point

So this draw allows hunting any time between 10/20 and 1/06 right? I feel like I'm missing something the way all the others are setup.
I read somewhere that you can't leave anything out past 72 hours, and equipment has to be ID'd. I'll be setting up and taking down daily to prevent theft. Inexpensive pop-up blind but I'd like to get through the season with it.
NxSTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #24
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
So this draw allows hunting any time between 10/20 and 1/06 right? I feel like I'm missing something the way all the others are setup.
No you've got it right, its rules are just different that the other e-postcard hunts. More WMA's may go to this system in the future, at least for the archery hunts. You also have to shoot 2 does before they give you a buck tag.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #25
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Put in for it but didn't get selected but did for the Daughtry.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #26
Fthoodtanker
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can find

Put in for granger as well. Didnt get drawn 5th year. Oh well thats luck of the draw. Good luck to everyone that was drawn.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Fthoodtanker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land

My son, 10yr, and I both drew Granger. 1st timers here as well.
I scouted this past Sat and counted 20 does and 1 very wide 8ptr all within the same area.
Found a ladder stand that had been there long enough rust stains were coming out of the joints and a pvc corn feeder padlocked onto a tree with chain.

I'm going out this evening after work to look at another area and will be out there this coming weekend as well.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
My son, 10yr, and I both drew Granger. 1st timers here as well.
I scouted this past Sat and counted 20 does and 1 very wide 8ptr all within the same area.
Found a ladder stand that had been there long enough rust stains were coming out of the joints and a pvc corn feeder padlocked onto a tree with chain.

I'm going out this evening after work to look at another area and will be out there this coming weekend as well.
Did you walk or ride in?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point

Parked and walked-in
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #30
txhushlife
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I read a lot of people talking of no deer being at granger which is a huge load of crap! Now lots of hogs...yes! Does that mean you just walk in and spot them everywhere? No! I went out the past 2 weekends to different units doing some scouting for the winter months of hog hunting and ran into i would say "herds," of deer. I find pretty decent sheds every year and always spook up a nice buck through the winter months and into spring when i spend most my time out there. For the first timers out there i would highly suggest a tree stand, Granger has some massive trees out there that make for a perfect tree stand set up and ground blinds ive seen many out there which could be just as successful, but i would prefer a stand. As far as setting up feeders, cameras, blinds, and stands......ive got my onyx maps loaded with pinpoints of stands and blinds all over that place that people either abandon or just leave up for what i call community use.....just if ya get caught sitting in it, it would only be right to get down and find some where else to go. A lot of people utilize granger for hunting/fishing/photography. Ive been in a stand where 3 people came in to take a hike and get pictures of birds....i mean its public land, they have a right to it just as much as i do. Frustrating yes, but you move on into a better place. I would suggest getting deep into an area where nobody is going to just come stomping in on ya and ruin your spot or hunt. A lot of good places to hunt deer in granger, i put in every year hoping to get drawn cause there will be some tags dropping! ive spent the last 15 years hunting out there and when i hear people say no deer....that just tells me you haven't spent enough time out there. If you are looking for your massive wall hanger...i can't say ive seen one out there, but i have seen alot of nice 8-10pts over the years and the sheds to go with it!
txhushlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #31
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhushlife View Post
I read a lot of people talking of no deer being at granger which is a huge load of crap! Now lots of hogs...yes! Does that mean you just walk in and spot them everywhere? No! I went out the past 2 weekends to different units doing some scouting for the winter months of hog hunting and ran into i would say "herds," of deer. I find pretty decent sheds every year and always spook up a nice buck through the winter months and into spring when i spend most my time out there. For the first timers out there i would highly suggest a tree stand, Granger has some massive trees out there that make for a perfect tree stand set up and ground blinds ive seen many out there which could be just as successful, but i would prefer a stand. As far as setting up feeders, cameras, blinds, and stands......ive got my onyx maps loaded with pinpoints of stands and blinds all over that place that people either abandon or just leave up for what i call community use.....just if ya get caught sitting in it, it would only be right to get down and find some where else to go. A lot of people utilize granger for hunting/fishing/photography. Ive been in a stand where 3 people came in to take a hike and get pictures of birds....i mean its public land, they have a right to it just as much as i do. Frustrating yes, but you move on into a better place. I would suggest getting deep into an area where nobody is going to just come stomping in on ya and ruin your spot or hunt. A lot of good places to hunt deer in granger, i put in every year hoping to get drawn cause there will be some tags dropping! ive spent the last 15 years hunting out there and when i hear people say no deer....that just tells me you haven't spent enough time out there. If you are looking for your massive wall hanger...i can't say ive seen one out there, but i have seen alot of nice 8-10pts over the years and the sheds to go with it!

Itíd be awesome if those stands and ground blinds had a label ďfor public useĒ tag on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #32
Fthoodtanker
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can find

Quote:
Itíd be awesome if those stands and ground blinds had a label ďfor public useĒ tag on them.

Agree.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Fthoodtanker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #33
txhushlife
Four Point

what are you trying to say?
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #34
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
It is BS, one of the reasons they went to almost full season hunting and not just 5 day draw hunts is there are plenty of deer now. Last time I drew there I saw 20 deer in a sit on more than one occasion, my buddy did too and had a shot at a 120 class 8 point.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #35
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
what are you trying to say?

You mentioned there are stands and blinds left out for public use, and also that if youíre in either/or and someone comes to that stand then the right thing to do would be to get out. And thatís true. But how does someone know whether itís a ďpublic useĒ available setup, or recent setup thatís already got a user to it?
If this was directed at me. Thatís what Iím trying to say.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #36
txhushlife
Four Point

Maybe the way i explained it was wrong......what im saying is when you go out there scouting, and you continue to see tree stands, ground blinds, feeders, or even make shift stands that have obviously been set up for awhile and being out there enough to know they have been out there for awhile, ill take it upon myself to sit the stand. I dont look at it as a matter of waiting or looking for whose stand to ask permission to hunt it, BUT if they happen to show up while your hunting i would gladly get down and move on. I brought this up in the Granger hog hunting thread and the people that set stands or blinds up out there are risking their stuff getting stolen as ive had a pig pipe and a cheap pop up blind get stolen out there, but to me i would consider it like an unwritten rule of respect between hunters to not abuse the stands or move them if their not yours. those people take a risk leaving them out there and honestly theres nothing i can do about someone stealing my stuff from out there cause im the one that left it knowing the risk. Just a bummer. there are no designated community stands or anything like that, i just always find them and will utilize them if i get the chance....spread a bag of corn out in that area to help the stand out a little bit. Community of hunters have to learn to respect each other and each others equipment/set ups, especially on public land.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #37
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Maybe the way i explained it was wrong......what im saying is when you go out there scouting, and you continue to see tree stands, ground blinds, feeders, or even make shift stands that have obviously been set up for awhile and being out there enough to know they have been out there for awhile, ill take it upon myself to sit the stand. I dont look at it as a matter of waiting or looking for whose stand to ask permission to hunt it, BUT if they happen to show up while your hunting i would gladly get down and move on. I brought this up in the Granger hog hunting thread and the people that set stands or blinds up out there are risking their stuff getting stolen as ive had a pig pipe and a cheap pop up blind get stolen out there, but to me i would consider it like an unwritten rule of respect between hunters to not abuse the stands or move them if their not yours. those people take a risk leaving them out there and honestly theres nothing i can do about someone stealing my stuff from out there cause im the one that left it knowing the risk. Just a bummer. there are no designated community stands or anything like that, i just always find them and will utilize them if i get the chance....spread a bag of corn out in that area to help the stand out a little bit. Community of hunters have to learn to respect each other and each others equipment/set ups, especially on public land.

Roger that. I misunderstood that point. I plan on taking my own out there, and setting up and taking down. As much of a pain in the rear that's going to be, I'm not close enough geographically to leave it for later use. I may or may not get back out there after the week I have planned to hunt there.
You're right though, that unwritten rule should be implied and respected. Always someone or somebodies going to do them and say "screw the code".
Thanks for clearing that up brother

Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #38
txhushlife
Four Point

No problem, and i cant say alot of people that set up out there long term feel the way i do about it, but really its like how are you going to get upset by leaving a $300 tree stand out there and someone hunting it, rather then stealing it! If ya need info on the deer just DM me and ill help out where i can, im not the deer whisperer but am out there enough to see them. me and my buddy were stalking through one time and literally were hearing a herd of i swear 30+ deer running and it sounded like a light stampede! so you shouldn't have any issue seeing deer, they are literally everywhere. and taking 2 does before your first buck definitely is achievable pretty quick.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #39
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point

I found a ladder stand and pvc feeder south of the dam this past Saturday. As I was walking around scouting, I walked into the woods near a field and thought to myself, this looks like a great place; turned to my right and hello ladder stand!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #40
NxSTexan
Four Point

Both of these posts above are encouraging. Sent you a PM earlier. Still getting used to this app so I may have sent it as a forum PM instead of the app DM.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #41
txhushlife
Four Point

every spot i feel that is a good spot....generally ya look up and there ya go, a stand already set up!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point

The more miles you log the more successful you will be. As this is my first year hunting here in TX and not knowing anything about Granger I plan on being out there every available day/evening between now and Oct 20. It's helping me wrap my head around the terrain and movements.

I'll be back out this weekend to walk more and plan on sticking a pig too!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #43
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
The more miles you log the more successful you will be. As this is my first year hunting here in TX and not knowing anything about Granger I plan on being out there every available day/evening between now and Oct 20. It's helping me wrap my head around the terrain and movements.

I'll be back out this weekend to walk more and plan on sticking a pig too!

If only I had that time. I'm 2+ hours away and don't have much time off to get down before 10/20 unfortunately. First year in public lands and am being hasty honestly speaking. But the itch was strong this year and I finally got around to getting a bow setup. Going to have to rely on weather patterns and goofy pre-rut behavior this year.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #44
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

There's no deer at granger...much better places to go hunt so don't waste your time. Don't pay attention to what the experts above say
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #45
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
There's no deer at granger...much better places to go hunt so don't waste your time. Don't pay attention to what the experts above say

I don't have a choice, it's where I drew a permit. 🤷🏻*♂️

Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #46
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
I don't have a choice, it's where I drew a permit. 🤷🏻*♂️

Bloody hell Tapatalk, you don't have the ability to read properly gendered emojis? It's a travesty that we have to use them at all, give us the Male versions at least. 🤨

Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #47
travisn321
Spike

I entered and won for this year! I'm new to Texas and new to hunting so I must have had first timers luck getting drawn for this. I'm a few hours north myself so scouting anytime other then on weekends will be tough for me but I'm looking forward to giving it my all. I picked up OnX maps so when i do get the chance to spend some time out there I can mark up my map for possible spots to set the pop up blind. If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated & look forward to meeting everyone on the Oct. 20.
travisn321 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #48
txhushlife
Four Point

I dont have to argue with someone about deer being out there or not, for those that got drawn i consider myself very jealous of yall as i put in for granger every year to deer hunt.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #49
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
I dont have to argue with someone about deer being out there or not, for those that got drawn i consider myself very jealous of yall as i put in for granger every year to deer hunt.
Well of you ever do want to get drawn it would be a good idea not to talk about it on the internet. worst thing that's happened to that place but since there's no deer out there anyway just tired of them **** deer hunters spooking all my pigs
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #50
txhushlife
Four Point

Seeing as to how its no secret, and its PUBLIC land and a community of hunting, i think ill continue to talk and help out whoever i can, when i can. you can continue to spill your hate as you want. if you know what your doing then you shouldnt have much problem with a few deer hunters spoiling your pig hunt.....im sure a deer hunter getting drawn would feel pretty upset seeing a pig hunter coming in on possibly his one chance all year to harvest a deer. you should learn to look at it from both sides of the fence....if you want your own place theres plenty of land and leases available to where your pigs cant be spooked by anyone else.