Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #201
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Iím not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
This is all good information.

Is anyone bringing a sidearm?
It states that if you have a lisence to carry card you can but if you donít your not allowed to? I thought that Texas law stated that if you are hunting or fishing coming or driving from either . would allow for the open carry of a gun . I donít know . In Florida , we hunted without one on public lands ,but sometimes I really could of used one . Like a wounded boar I trailed into a plameto head .i couldnít run ,my bow was useless in that so when he charged at me ,all I could do is roll on my back and kick for dear life . Like walking in and around gator holes in the dark especially during archery and spring turkey . But I couldnít draw and hit a gator in the dark or day if it sprang up outta gator hole . There simply is any time . I say I canít die until Iím called for. Lol . The desire to hunt outways any peril.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #202
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck
 
returning egret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo
Default Hunt day scouting

Due to screwy Federal Jury Duty my wife has, I may not even get down there until Tues the 2nd. Know we can't please everybody, but what's the opinion about setting up on hunt days. 10am to 2pm? Would that not mess up most people's hunts.

Figure the majority of the hunters will bale after the first weekend. What's the odds that they will remove their trail markers? Should late comers avoid ANY marked trail or gently investigate to see if an active blind/stand is present? Do most of you intend to sit all day?

Advice appreciated.
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #203
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default I like the cool bracelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGIRL View Post
Hey everyone. I know this is a needle in a haystack, but while I was out scouting a spot today, my military ID fell out of my truck. If you happen to spot it, please message me!! I know it is a long shot but stranger things have happened.
Yes mam , thank you for your service.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #204
Merc
Ten Point
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Anchorage/POC
Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
It states that if you have a lisence to carry card you can but if you donít your not allowed to? I thought that Texas law stated that if you are hunting or fishing coming or driving from either . would allow for the open carry of a gun . I donít know . In Florida , we hunted without one on public lands ,but sometimes I really could of used one . Like a wounded boar I trailed into a plameto head .i couldnít run ,my bow was useless in that so when he charged at me ,all I could do is roll on my back and kick for dear life . Like walking in and around gator holes in the dark especially during archery and spring turkey . But I couldnít draw and hit a gator in the dark or day if it sprang up outta gator hole . There simply is any time . I say I canít die until Iím called for. Lol . The desire to hunt outways any peril.
It's a weapon restricted hunt is why you need the LTC.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #205
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
It's a weapon restricted hunt is why you need the LTC.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
So that means also in your vehicles brother? Is not on your person , right? I wondered about that . Itís a non issue for me , I just figured here in Texas , it was all good for personal safety . I would hate to waste an opportunity to hunt for some violation to get in the way of my pulled pork taco ! Lol thank you for your service brother .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #206
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Sit all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
Due to screwy Federal Jury Duty my wife has, I may not even get down there until Tues the 2nd. Know we can't please everybody, but what's the opinion about setting up on hunt days. 10am to 2pm? Would that not mess up most people's hunts.

Figure the majority of the hunters will bale after the first weekend. What's the odds that they will remove their trail markers? Should late comers avoid ANY marked trail or gently investigate to see if an active blind/stand is present? Do most of you intend to sit all day?

Advice appreciated.
Sit all day ,take all you need with you . Donít risk walking in on folks . The rule is all tape should be removed . Iíll be gone before then . I owe , I owe , itís off to work I go . Happy hunting and good luck .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #207
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Nice times sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Yep some of the mosquitos were as big as dragonflies today and they donít give a **** about your spray! Also spotted a few doe, one buck at the entrance, and a big fox which was cool. Good luck everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are the roads in there Jen? My truck died ! So I did what anyone would do . Rental ! Lol itís an Toyota suv like a rav 4 .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #208
GMGIRL
Four Point
 
GMGIRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: SHNF and up in Oklahoma
Default

Thank you for your support!
GMGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #209
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck
 
Slim79x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
How are the roads in there Jen? My truck died ! So I did what anyone would do . Rental ! Lol itís an Toyota suv like a rav 4 .
Even some of the big trucks were getting stuck leaving the main roads, I'd be careful if I were you. That tow truck driver made his money on Sunday for sure!
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #210
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck
 
Slim79x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
Due to screwy Federal Jury Duty my wife has, I may not even get down there until Tues the 2nd. Know we can't please everybody, but what's the opinion about setting up on hunt days. 10am to 2pm? Would that not mess up most people's hunts.

Figure the majority of the hunters will bale after the first weekend. What's the odds that they will remove their trail markers? Should late comers avoid ANY marked trail or gently investigate to see if an active blind/stand is present? Do most of you intend to sit all day?

Advice appreciated.
I'm not making it in to hunt till Tuesday either. I personally plan to sit for sure until after lunch time. If the need for a break arises I'll be moving quietly in and out of the spot I marked and taking down my tape when i go for good.
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #211
Thumper
Pope & Young
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia Texas
Default

All you have to do is ask. If any of the guys or gals driving cars get something just ask one of the guys with a truck to haul it in to the check station, we'll be glad to help out.

Jen, if you lost your ID on the trail it will most likely show itself walking into your stand. If someone picks it up they'll turn it in to the check station.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #212
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Getting stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim79x View Post
Even some of the big trucks were getting stuck leaving the main roads, I'd be careful if I were you. That tow truck driver made his money on Sunday for sure!
So the main roads are just at the entrance right ? What is is pot holes and mudd ? I havenít a clue here. Lord ,Iím missing my FX4 ... arghhh . I flooded it during spring turkey up to the steering wheel . But we have mud holes and a lot of water and sugar sand . How about a pointer . Lol
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #213
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default I hope to make your acquaintance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
All you have to do is ask. If any of the guys or gals driving cars get something just ask one of the guys with a truck to haul it in to the check station, we'll be glad to help out.

Jen, if you lost your ID on the trail it will most likely show itself walking into your stand. If someone picks it up they'll turn it in to the check station.
Thumper , I enjoy your posts short sweet and no Bravo Sierra . Iíll help anybody who needs my help also . Pay it forward . At least we donít have guys just wallering out the trails with buggies during hunting season. Iíd ride a horse if they let me .no lie.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #214
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

It hasn’t stopped raining there and it looks like the first week will be a lot of rain also. That can be good
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #215
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Alright. I'll go ahead and be the first to admit it. Aransas NWR is the absolutely most miserable and nasty place I've experienced. Encountered mosquitos like you'd never understand, Alligators and cotton mouth snakes all within steps distance.

I was there about 15 years ago as a boy. The place is even more indescribable than I could recall. ITS ABSOULTELY A MISERABLE JUNGLE. What a challenge!
Myself and a couple of my partners drove the refuge Friday afternoon, the auto tour loop, which was no where that I initially intended to hunt. We all 4 scouted Saturday, arrived at 6:30 am, the refuge did not open scouting until 7:30. I was 5th in line. Thumper, you were right behind me, I heard the officer call you by name and put 2 and 2 together.

We drove ALL the way to the very back south end, until you couldn't go any further. Satellite scouting doesn't do this place a lick of justice. It was all WAY different than expected. I knew before applying, ARANSAS was a miserable place. I did not expect this. 30'' of rain in the last 2 weeks, EVERYTHING IS UNDERWATER! If you don't have a 4WD, stay on the main road. If you don't have hip waders, your boots will get filled with water, you might as well where shoes and just accept getting soaked up to thigh deep. The mosquitos will wipe you out. We all carried OFF to continually apply, wore FROG TOGS to keep skeeters off, and took a mosquito tent and cut it up to wear over our heads. STILL, mosquitos hoarded us ALL DAY. We each covered over 40 miles in 3 trucks touring the refuge Saturday morning, NO DRY LAND FOUND until 4pm. Let that "SOAK" in. The end of Saturday, resulted in setting 4 tripods in areas that we found without water, we were at our ends with the place, didn't really care anymore, fully exhausted, near heat stroke conditions. F**K that place.

I made myself go back Sunday. I got on foot and covered MILES! If I wasn't in water, I was taking steps over vines, position ivy, and weeds that were up to my chest. I want you to imagine lifting your feet waist high just to get ONE step in, or else you couldn't walk. Now imagine, getting into a spot off the road, in the dark, quietly. You still don't have an idea.

Over 2.5 days, I encountered 3 bucks and 1 hog while driving. Nothing on foot. I estimate that I put in nearly 60+ miles of driving.


We are still coming for the archery hunt, BUT I'm on the fence about paying for the gun hunt, it is a difficult hunt, and I'm for these hunts, but to allow myself more time at ANWR, it isn't really worth it for what else I could be doing. Im going to let luck determine it all, tomorrow right before the deadline, I'm flipping a coin as to whether I pay for the gun hunt, HEADS= PAY / Tails= NOT.


Also, if you aren't in shape in the slightest bit. Go ahead and save yourself some money, time and frustration. Its not going to be a cake walk.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #216
Jen
Nubbin' Buck
 
Jen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim79x View Post
Even some of the big trucks were getting stuck leaving the main roads, I'd be careful if I were you. That tow truck driver made his money on Sunday for sure!


I didnít have any problems with the roads at all..did you maybe use the ďcommercial entranceĒ? That road was nasty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #217
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck
 
Slim79x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
So the main roads are just at the entrance right ? What is is pot holes and mudd ? I havenít a clue here. Lord ,Iím missing my FX4 ... arghhh . I flooded it during spring turkey up to the steering wheel . But we have mud holes and a lot of water and sugar sand . How about a pointer . Lol
There are gravel roads throughout the refuge, that's what i meant by "main" there are plenty of less graded dirt roads that the folks in trucks utilized to get a little deeper here and there. Those are the ones people were getting stuck on according to the warden. You can get wherever you need to go from just using the gravel roads.
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #218
Thumper
Pope & Young
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia Texas
Default

Lets hope it dries out some before Sat. Bought a pair of cheap camo high-top tennis shoes this afternoon and 6 cans of 40% deet Repel. I'm going wading where mosquitoes are known to roam. Some call it bowhunting aransas, others call it hell, I call it both.

Saw a couple of young bucks messing around yearling doe, didn't see any hogs. Tracks were all washed out from the heavy rains and surprisingly acorns, every where. If there were ever a year to discourage new hunters, its this year.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #219
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Alright. I'll go ahead and be the first to admit it. Aransas NWR is the absolutely most miserable and nasty place I've experienced. Encountered mosquitos like you'd never understand, Alligators and cotton mouth snakes all within steps distance.

I was there about 15 years ago as a boy. The place is even more indescribable than I could recall. ITS ABSOULTELY A MISERABLE JUNGLE. What a challenge!
Myself and a couple of my partners drove the refuge Friday afternoon, the auto tour loop, which was no where that I initially intended to hunt. We all 4 scouted Saturday, arrived at 6:30 am, the refuge did not open scouting until 7:30. I was 5th in line. Thumper, you were right behind me, I heard the officer call you by name and put 2 and 2 together.

We drove ALL the way to the very back south end, until you couldn't go any further. Satellite scouting doesn't do this place a lick of justice. It was all WAY different than expected. I knew before applying, ARANSAS was a miserable place. I did not expect this. 30'' of rain in the last 2 weeks, EVERYTHING IS UNDERWATER! If you don't have a 4WD, stay on the main road. If you don't have hip waders, your boots will get filled with water, you might as well where shoes and just accept getting soaked up to thigh deep. The mosquitos will wipe you out. We all carried OFF to continually apply, wore FROG TOGS to keep skeeters off, and took a mosquito tent and cut it up to wear over our heads. STILL, mosquitos hoarded us ALL DAY. We each covered over 40 miles in 3 trucks touring the refuge Saturday morning, NO DRY LAND FOUND until 4pm. Let that "SOAK" in. The end of Saturday, resulted in setting 4 tripods in areas that we found without water, we were at our ends with the place, didn't really care anymore, fully exhausted, near heat stroke conditions. F**K that place.

I made myself go back Sunday. I got on foot and covered MILES! If I wasn't in water, I was taking steps over vines, position ivy, and weeds that were up to my chest. I want you to imagine lifting your feet waist high just to get ONE step in, or else you couldn't walk. Now imagine, getting into a spot off the road, in the dark, quietly. You still don't have an idea.

Over 2.5 days, I encountered 3 bucks and 1 hog while driving. Nothing on foot. I estimate that I put in nearly 60+ miles of driving.


We are still coming for the archery hunt, BUT I'm on the fence about paying for the gun hunt, it is a difficult hunt, and I'm for these hunts, but to allow myself more time at ANWR, it isn't really worth it for what else I could be doing. Im going to let luck determine it all, tomorrow right before the deadline, I'm flipping a coin as to whether I pay for the gun hunt, HEADS= PAY / Tails= NOT.


Also, if you aren't in shape in the slightest bit. Go ahead and save yourself some money, time and frustration. Its not going to be a cake walk.

This honestly pretty much somes it up. Please, hydrate or you very well could seriously get in some trouble yíall. I forced my self each scouting day to drink a liter of water before I stepped out of the truck. Then I would drink another liter before I got back in the car. Then a liter on the way home.
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #220
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
So the main roads are just at the entrance right ? What is is pot holes and mudd ? I havenít a clue here. Lord ,Iím missing my FX4 ... arghhh . I flooded it during spring turkey up to the steering wheel . But we have mud holes and a lot of water and sugar sand . How about a pointer . Lol
You will be alright in a car just be very careful about leaving the main roads.
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #221
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

I will be hunting Saturday all day, Sunday evening, Tuesday evening, Wednesday all day, Thursday all day, Friday evening. I have marking tape 80 yards on either side of my stands that would be the most likely way for someone to enter. I plan on taking my stands out Friday evening after I’m done hunting and I will be taking my marking tape down with me so that hunters on the last weekend aren’t confused by my tape.

So this is my recommendation to everyone who is scouting or coming later in the hunt week to setup. I would wait until 11am - 3pm to scout around. If a trail, path, road, etc. is marked but your still interested about it I would check it out but with a very light foot. Keep your head on a swivel and if you see a stand or someone just back out the way you came. Plus I probably wouldn’t scout an area that has a vehicle parked by the tape. It’s 30k + acres I promise there is plenty of room for everyone.
When I was talking to the ranger he said the problem with this hunt is people have a expectation of it’s going to be a “normal” hunt. Drive up, easy walk, hunt until 10 am kill your deer and go on about your day. It’s not, you need to get in that mindset now. Time is going to be your best friend on this hunt. If you can find an area where you have some 20 yard shots, dry ground and acorns then I’m willing to bet you will kill something. I had it in my head that I wasn’t going to shoot does or pigs on this hunt and try to shoot a good buck. After scouting and seeing what you have to go through, I promise any animal you kill of this hunt is a trophy and well earned and deserved.
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #222
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck
 
returning egret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
I will be hunting Saturday all day, Sunday evening, Tuesday evening, Wednesday all day, Thursday all day, Friday evening. I have marking tape 80 yards on either side of my stands that would be the most likely way for someone to enter. I plan on taking my stands out Friday evening after Iím done hunting and I will be taking my marking tape down with me so that hunters on the last weekend arenít confused by my tape.

So this is my recommendation to everyone who is scouting or coming later in the hunt week to setup. I would wait until 11am - 3pm to scout around. If a trail, path, road, etc. is marked but your still interested about it I would check it out but with a very light foot. Keep your head on a swivel and if you see a stand or someone just back out the way you came. Plus I probably wouldnít scout an area that has a vehicle parked by the tape. Itís 30k + acres I promise there is plenty of room for everyone.
When I was talking to the ranger he said the problem with this hunt is people have a expectation of itís going to be a ďnormalĒ hunt. Drive up, easy walk, hunt until 10 am kill your deer and go on about your day. Itís not, you need to get in that mindset now. Time is going to be your best friend on this hunt. If you can find an area where you have some 20 yard shots, dry ground and acorns then Iím willing to bet you will kill something. I had it in my head that I wasnít going to shoot does or pigs on this hunt and try to shoot a good buck. After scouting and seeing what you have to go through, I promise any animal you kill of this hunt is a trophy and well earned and deserved.
Thanks that helps. From what we're reading sounds like it's all underwater. Makes one wonder how we're gonna find anything we did shoot. Blood don't float!
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #223
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Thank you for your kindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I didnít have any problems with the roads at all..did you maybe use the ďcommercial entranceĒ? That road was nasty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that your knowledge about the place . I thank you for sharing . I am really looking for this hunt ! Good luck
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #224
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Tracking in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
Thanks that helps. From what we're reading sounds like it's all underwater. Makes one wonder how we're gonna find anything we did shoot. Blood don't float!
Well Iíll share my experience in tracking game in water . A well placed shot will cause blood to spray every time it steps . It might be lung matter or gut . It will be found on the floating veditation . The path will be visable if you have light . The deer will probably make a terrible thrashing in water sound . Hopefully he will be floating . Sometimes they sink . They also lay in the water with their noses up if you manage to close in on a wounded deer that needed more time . Like a liver shot . Watch for gators and snakes walk slow so you donít splash and wash out the sign . If you shoot a deer in the water itís easy to drag . If their are trees or brush they also will show blood .if the water is shallow you will find the bottom stirred up and see prints . It is an art . Iím learning how not to walk into cactuses n such . Lmao I just a Florida cracker. This hunt is going to be all to familiar. Good luck
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #225
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default That makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim79x View Post
There are gravel roads throughout the refuge, that's what i meant by "main" there are plenty of less graded dirt roads that the folks in trucks utilized to get a little deeper here and there. Those are the ones people were getting stuck on according to the warden. You can get wherever you need to go from just using the gravel roads.
I can see on the map the less improved roads . Iíll walk . I cat wait . Wear boots that will fill up with water dump out the water and put on dry socks . We used sneekers in the stand they were light and packable and quiet on the stand .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #226
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Alright. I'll go ahead and be the first to admit it. Aransas NWR is the absolutely most miserable and nasty place I've experienced. Encountered mosquitos like you'd never understand, Alligators and cotton mouth snakes all within steps distance.

I was there about 15 years ago as a boy. The place is even more indescribable than I could recall. ITS ABSOULTELY A MISERABLE JUNGLE. What a challenge!
Myself and a couple of my partners drove the refuge Friday afternoon, the auto tour loop, which was no where that I initially intended to hunt. We all 4 scouted Saturday, arrived at 6:30 am, the refuge did not open scouting until 7:30. I was 5th in line. Thumper, you were right behind me, I heard the officer call you by name and put 2 and 2 together.

We drove ALL the way to the very back south end, until you couldn't go any further. Satellite scouting doesn't do this place a lick of justice. It was all WAY different than expected. I knew before applying, ARANSAS was a miserable place. I did not expect this. 30'' of rain in the last 2 weeks, EVERYTHING IS UNDERWATER! If you don't have a 4WD, stay on the main road. If you don't have hip waders, your boots will get filled with water, you might as well where shoes and just accept getting soaked up to thigh deep. The mosquitos will wipe you out. We all carried OFF to continually apply, wore FROG TOGS to keep skeeters off, and took a mosquito tent and cut it up to wear over our heads. STILL, mosquitos hoarded us ALL DAY. We each covered over 40 miles in 3 trucks touring the refuge Saturday morning, NO DRY LAND FOUND until 4pm. Let that "SOAK" in. The end of Saturday, resulted in setting 4 tripods in areas that we found without water, we were at our ends with the place, didn't really care anymore, fully exhausted, near heat stroke conditions. F**K that place.

I made myself go back Sunday. I got on foot and covered MILES! If I wasn't in water, I was taking steps over vines, position ivy, and weeds that were up to my chest. I want you to imagine lifting your feet waist high just to get ONE step in, or else you couldn't walk. Now imagine, getting into a spot off the road, in the dark, quietly. You still don't have an idea.

Over 2.5 days, I encountered 3 bucks and 1 hog while driving. Nothing on foot. I estimate that I put in nearly 60+ miles of driving.


We are still coming for the archery hunt, BUT I'm on the fence about paying for the gun hunt, it is a difficult hunt, and I'm for these hunts, but to allow myself more time at ANWR, it isn't really worth it for what else I could be doing. Im going to let luck determine it all, tomorrow right before the deadline, I'm flipping a coin as to whether I pay for the gun hunt, HEADS= PAY / Tails= NOT.


Also, if you aren't in shape in the slightest bit. Go ahead and save yourself some money, time and frustration. Its not going to be a cake walk.
Just like home brother . I thought it was going to be easy in Texas . Lmbo .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #227
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

I’m Not picky y’all I love deer! I cant eat antlers . I love hogs to . If it’s legal I’m taking it home . Just saying .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #228
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

This video had me laughing until I was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.




https://www.facebook.com/bustedrack/...int=action_bar
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #229
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbludau View Post
this video had me laughing until i was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.




https://www.facebook.com/bustedrack/...int=action_bar

😂😅🤣😄
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #230
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Y’all!!!!
I had a dream last night I killed the biggest buck ever killed on the Aransas! He was a main frame 11 point with trash and a small drop. Scored 168 7/8”!!!! Dream was soooo real! I think that might be the realest hunting dream I have ever had. Most of my hunting dreams the deer start talking or I forgot my bow or something stupid.
Good lord, please let me kill a buck half that big and I will be happy!
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #231
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Yes sir itís greatwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Lets hope it dries out some before Sat. Bought a pair of cheap camo high-top tennis shoes this afternoon and 6 cans of 40% deet Repel. I'm going wading where mosquitoes are known to roam. Some call it bowhunting aransas, others call it hell, I call it both.

Saw a couple of young bucks messing around yearling doe, didn't see any hogs. Tracks were all washed out from the heavy rains and surprisingly acorns, every where. If there were ever a year to discourage new hunters, its this year.
I probably never had it so good sir. No airboats or buggies no dogs no chasing down deer ! Real hunting ! Hearing deer comming in the water watching the ripples . No cypresses thumper?
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #232
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Your sick with the bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
Yíall!!!!
I had a dream last night I killed the biggest buck ever killed on the Aransas! He was a main frame 11 point with trash and a small drop. Scored 168 7/8Ē!!!! Dream was soooo real! I think that might be the realest hunting dream I have ever had. Most of my hunting dreams the deer start talking or I forgot my bow or something stupid.
Good lord, please let me kill a buck half that big and I will be happy!
The hunting bug ! Iím still that way at 47 years young .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #233
BackwoodzHank
Four Point
 
BackwoodzHank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wolfe City
Hunt In: Leon/Hunt/Fannin, idaho, colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
This video had me laughing until I was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.




https://www.facebook.com/bustedrack/...int=action_bar
thats good stuff right there!
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #234
Thumper
Pope & Young
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia Texas
Default

It is pretty funny,,,
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #235
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Video on crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
This video had me laughing until I was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.




https://www.facebook.com/bustedrack/...int=action_bar
The funniest ever lmbo . I have fought it also . I still keep my bow at 70# and I hope to never need one .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #236
Leonitas1306
Four Point
 
Leonitas1306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

Thank the good lord the opening weekend wasent during the full moon .
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #237
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Completely unmotivated about this hunt. Which is not typical me at all.

I let the gun hunt go to 2nd draw
Lol there's my thoughts summed up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #238
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default



Just Incase anyone was worried about the refuge drying up and making it a little easier for us, donít worry. Itís been raining all night long on the good ol fuge!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #239
GMGIRL
Four Point
 
GMGIRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: SHNF and up in Oklahoma
Default

I just got a chance to hunt this guy opening day in Oklahoma so I won't be out at Aransas until Wednesday. Just wanted to wish everyone luck for the weekend!!!
Attached Images
 
GMGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #240
AransasRanger
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Standby Permits Still Available

Hey y'all, we still have 31 standby permits available at Aransas for the archery hunt. If you have a buddy who wasn't drawn, tell her/him to show up tomorrow at 8:30 am. If more than 31 people show up, we will draw for permits at 9. Final scout day is tomorrow. Bring bug spray, snake boots, mosquito netting, bug suits - actually, Kevlar is probably your best bet. We've gotten more rain in the last couple days. Good luck with the hunt!
AransasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #241
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck
 
returning egret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo
Default

Quote:
I just got a chance to hunt this guy opening day in Oklahoma so I won't be out at Aransas until Wednesday. Just wanted to wish everyone luck for the weekend!!!
Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing. Got a buck parade past my box stand at the East Texas lease.
Attached Images
 
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #242
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

My group is all set up for camp at Hoppers Landing! It's TIME!!!!!!
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #243
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck
 
returning egret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo
Default Good Luck y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
My group is all set up for camp at Hoppers Landing! It's TIME!!!!!!
Good luck to everybody! Like somebody said way back in this thread, any critter is going to be a trophy with these conditions!

See y'all later in the week. I'll be the one stumbling about, but it'll be a good thing, I'll push a big un into your lap.
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #244
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default


I feel this bobcat has the same feelings for the Aransas nwr! Hahahaha lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #245
CoswayTyler
Spike
 
CoswayTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Good luck and good morning everyone!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 AM   #246
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Hope this crap misses yíall



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #247
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Let her rip?! 28yds

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #248
Merc
Ten Point
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Anchorage/POC
Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Let her rip?! 28yds

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Are you hungry? Because that's a lot of tasty meat walking around.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #249
Aggiehunter11
Four Point
 
Aggiehunter11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Hunt In: Lohn, Fowlerton, Austin Co.
Thumbs up

Beautiful place, but thick thick and tough to walk no doubt!
Lots of Mosquitos and I'd say they are low on the list of most challenging parts of the hunt .

Lots of vehicle traffic !
Tough hunt made tougher, pretty sure a Buccees would do good here !

Hopefully everyone settles in by 5 and can get a bit of quiet time . Wouldn't mind them shutting gate at 5pm to no more new traffic from then until dark.
Good luck y'all��

Last edited by Aggiehunter11; 09-29-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Aggiehunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #250
RobertD
Nubbin' Buck
 
RobertD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cedar Park
Hunt In: Texas and Minnesota
Default

I am sure y'all are out at your spots right now. I got held up at work Friday so I couldn't come out. Today I had a hell of a time trying to get out of here and ended up just giving up. Just a little remorse.

Did anyone get anything? Anyone SEE anyone bring in anything?
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com