Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #151
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
Just got notification I drew General as well. Going to be spending a lot of time down South this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also was drawn for the general gun hunt aswell. I literally went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to apply for it, because I really did not want to lose my preference points in that category. Low and behold, it happened. Guess I'll be donating 2 weeks worth of blood to the skeeters now! I'm calling it now, I'm tagging a big one.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #152
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Got drawn for 2nd rifle. Never hunted down there but should be fun
hgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #153
MulieThumper
Spike

Hunt In: no clue! just moved to TX

2nd rifle here. Never been down that way... Havent figured out a plan yet but am excited

Last edited by MulieThumper; 09-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.
MulieThumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #154
MulieThumper
Spike

Hey hgiles. Lemme know when you’re headed down that way. Might be nice to have a partner. I will be headed from San Antonio.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #155
BackwoodzHank
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon/Hunt/Fannin, idaho, colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
We may be in luck, most model runs have Isaac running in just south of Brownsville TX and moving through at a good speed. If they hold true the refuge should miss most of its heavy rains, even with the refuge being on the strong side of the storm.
I went ahead and got some good rain gear just incase!
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #156
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulieThumper View Post
Hey hgiles. Lemme know when youíre headed down that way. Might be nice to have a partner. I will be headed from San Antonio.

Sounds good! Iím planning on taking the RV down. Iíll send you a PM

hgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #157
MulieThumper
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
Sounds good! Iím planning on taking the RV down. Iíll send you a PM

RV is nice thing to have on that kind of hunt.

Easier to text
702-265-0519
Matt
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #158
cizzle210
Spike

Hunt In: ANYWHERE USA

I got drawn for general as well. Looking forward to West Nile, Malaria, fighting a big one like Troy from swamp people. If you hear “ choot it” it’s probably me. Good luck all . BTW I’m also coming down from San Antonio
cizzle210 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:59 AM   #159
Caneycreek
Four Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Matagorda County, Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I will also be there the 28th too.

Just a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are REALLY going to do your scouting the 1ST DAY of the hunt, you won't be making friends with guys that already did their scouting and are hunting when you come busting through the area they are currently hunting. Please have common decency and some sportsman-like etiquette and quietly move out the area if you encroach someone.

More importantly, if you are having to scout the first day of the hunt, WAIT UNTIL several hours(4) after sunrise. Don't be that guy breaking brush at dawn.
Whoops sorry, I meant the ďfirst dayĒ as on the 28th, thatís the day weíre arriving!! With how bad the mosquitos already are here in Matagorda County I donít even know how long Iíll want to deal with it. Hunted mad island plenty of times with thick mosquitos but my father in law actually got west Nile and almost died so makes me more cautious of being eaten up by them now. By the way, Matagorda County is all sold out of mosquito spray for over a week, so any of you coming from up north might want to be sure and pack some.
Caneycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #160
Triprhw
Nubbin' Buck

Default Aransas Archery hunt

I will be coming from Elgin and Scout the 28th. Plan to hunt as much of the week as I can stand. Have hunted East Lake and Laguna Atascosa but imagine this will be lots soggier. Solo draw but willing to partner up on sight. Any sense bringing a game cart or would a john boat be more in order
Triprhw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #161
GBludau
Eight Point

scouting this weekend!!

Last edited by GBludau; 09-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #162
L C
Four Point

I can hear the buzzing now. And my truck cab swarming with them. Are we crazy? Heading to Buc-ee's for a bag of deer jerky seems a lot easier, and cheaper. 🤔
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #163
BackwoodzHank
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon/Hunt/Fannin, idaho, colorado

Quote:
Refuge sent out an email with attached orientation video, rules, regulations and additional information. Shhhh, the more you share it the more people you will see while hunting, you picking up what I'm putting down?
Im sorry, I believe you're mistaken, there was no such email sent!
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #164
cylomedia
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings area

I took my first bow buck there. It's a hard yet rewarding hunt. Back in the day it was a huge gathering and droves of hard *** hunters would camp along the edge of the road leading up to the reserve. I understand they don't allow that anymore. If hoopers landing is still available, that's a good lodging option.
cylomedia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #165
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Roads

Quote:
Refuge sent out an email with attached orientation video, rules, regulations and additional information. Shhhh, the more you share it the more people you will see while hunting, you picking up what I'm putting down?
What are the roads like ? Iíll be scouting the Thursday.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #166
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
Im sorry, I believe you're mistaken, there was no such email sent!
You're right. I am mistaken.

Disregard folks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #167
Thumper
Pope & Young

Refuge is asking to get the word out.

"This year, we have 40 stand-by archery hunt permits available. Interested parties must show up at Aransas NWR on Saturday, September 22nd. Names can be placed in the drawing between 8:30 and 9:00 am, and 40 permits will be drawn at 9:00 am. Drawn hunters must pay $130 cash (bring exact amount - no change available). Please help us get the word out!"
Attached Images

Last edited by Thumper; 09-19-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #168
GBludau
Eight Point

Yes, that way we will get to see more hunters while we are hunting!

Com'on OG

Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #169
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, Carrizo Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbludau View Post
yes, that way we will get to see more hunters while we are hunting!

Com'on og

sent from my sm-g892a using tapatalk
lol!!
TexasTrophyBowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #170
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:

Com'on OG

Yep, its a doubled edge sword, if hunters do not fill the stand-by slots we will most likely loose them. Next year there's a good chance I will not be drawn, I like the idea of stand-by permits.

I doubt 40 will show up Sat on such short notice.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #171
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triprhw View Post
I will be coming from Elgin and Scout the 28th. Plan to hunt as much of the week as I can stand. Have hunted East Lake and Laguna Atascosa but imagine this will be lots soggier. Solo draw but willing to partner up on sight. Any sense bringing a game cart or would a john boat be more in order

Bring the cart. In the past canoes have been allowed, but not motorized boats.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #172
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Keep em honest

Quote:
Refuge is asking to get the word out.

"This year, we have 40 stand-by archery hunt permits available. Interested parties must show up at Aransas NWR on Saturday, September 22nd. Names can be placed in the drawing between 8:30 and 9:00 am, and 40 permits will be drawn at 9:00 am. Drawn hunters must pay $130 cash (bring exact amount - no change available). Please help us get the word out!"
Thumper , your the huntsman and gentleman. Thank you kindly
Old 09-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #173
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Yep, its a doubled edge sword, if hunters do not fill the stand-by slots we will most likely loose them. Next year there's a good chance I will not be drawn, I like the idea of stand-by permits.

I doubt 40 will show up Sat on such short notice.
I concur about having standbys available. I'd show up to standby, but not apply again and keep my points for LANWR.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #174
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Iím willing to work in a team

Quote:
Iím hunting from my tree sling . Iím scouting Thursday . I plan to hunt all day. Iíll pack enough for an all day sit . I donít want to bust up men afield.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #175
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:

Com'on OG

Lol. The refuge hasn't been able to sell all their permits for a while, no draw, all OTC. 50% or more of the people that show up the first day won't hunt the second day. There's a reason it's fallen off, low success, tough hunting conditions. The only reason it's gotten any kind of hype is because they threw it in the TP&W draw and people just apply for everything now and happy to get drawn for something.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #176
bigchiefj
Six Point

I bet it doesn't take long for the "new" hype about archery hunting at Aransas to pass. Then the hard core guys should have a reasonable chance to hunt there every year.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #177
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Half the number of hunters donít hunt the second day

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Lol. The refuge hasn't been able to sell all their permits for a while, no draw, all OTC. 50% or more of the people that show up the first day won't hunt the second day. There's a reason it's fallen off, low success, tough hunting conditions. The only reason it's gotten any kind of hype is because they threw it in the TP&W draw and people just apply for everything now and happy to get drawn for something.
I figured as much givin how easy it is to hunt deer everywhere else in Texas . I applied to everything and am happy to have Been picked at all . It doesnít sound easy but I garuntee, it a lot easier and better opportunity than most public hunts back home .
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #178
L C
Four Point

Agreed. The rifle hunt is hard enough.
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #179
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

There are more public hunting opportunities than the draw system here. Maybe not endless public hunting but more than the draw system.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #180
Triprhw
Nubbin' Buck

Hey, Leonitas my info may be wrong I have the 28th (Friday) as the only scouting day after this weekend, I will miss the Saturday and Sunday hunts (might make Sunday evening) then try to hunt all week. Hope to see you there with a buck hanging!
Triprhw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #181
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Yep, and at half the cost, $65 dollars and not the $130 we now have to pay.

When we went to the internet for all our information we lost the news papers and sport writers reports/reminders on the refuge archery hunt. Loosing the free camping along FM2040 outside the refuge by far caused the biggest drop in the number of hunters. I sure miss the Camaraderie of everyone camping together along the road, only time of the year you'd get to see good friends you'd been hunting with for generations.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #182
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Camping by the sanctuary

Quote:
Yep, and at half the cost, $65 dollars and not the $130 we now have to pay.

When we went to the internet for all our information we lost the news papers and sport writers reports/reminders on the refuge archery hunt. Loosing the free camping along FM2040 outside the refuge by far caused the biggest drop in the number of hunters. I sure miss the Camaraderie of everyone camping together along the road, only time of the year you'd get to see good friends you'd been hunting with for generations.
I understand your point . I knew yíall have been hit hard by the regulation changes. Iím sorry to hear that .I canít believe they have no camping there . They charge and put out so many hunters on such a small area. The odds are stacked against the working man . Seems like ,all over the country the attitude towards hunters is, give me your money and if you harvest anything your lucky attitude. I found that some ranches have fair fees in comparison to these areas . But Iíve hunted public lands for so long I canít enjoy sitting in front of corn all day . I hope we met sir.i wish you the best . Back home we lost most accessible coastline to the rich and couldnít dive to spear or lobster unless you paid for a cattle boat trip. My point is , we as hunters are putting ourselves out by not standing up to regulations that control your dollar and make hostage your peace of mind in the woods or the ability to be human and feed your family real healthy meats! Unless this generation says , enough.Hunting will no longer belong to everyone ,unless your wealthy. Then when the wealthy are face with more of the same they will be forced out because they lost 90 percent of the voting power they had and never thought of it .If it were up to me I would write into the constitution, PS . ď the right of the people to hunt shall not be infringed on ď . God bless America y viva Texas !
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #183
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Big buck hanging

Quote:
Hey, Leonitas my info may be wrong I have the 28th (Friday) as the only scouting day after this weekend, I will miss the Saturday and Sunday hunts (might make Sunday evening) then try to hunt all week. Hope to see you there with a buck hanging!
To you also , you will have the place all to yourself . Looks like opening is close to the full moon , the best times will be towards the last portion of the week . I wish you the best also. God bless.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #184
GMGIRL
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF and up in Oklahoma

Hey everyone. I know this is a needle in a haystack, but while I was out scouting a spot today, my military ID fell out of my truck. If you happen to spot it, please message me!! I know it is a long shot but stranger things have happened.
GMGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #185
CoswayTyler
Spike

Hunt In: Everywhere

Well, itís official!!!

I gave my 1st quart of blood to the Aransas mosquito population. Ladies and gentleman, I can not stress enough the importance of mosquito control! It was literally insane at the amount of mosquitoes. I wasnít to worried about scent control today so I had my clothes SOAKED in 100% deet and I had a 50% deet lotion covering every inch of exposed skin to the point I looked like a albino. I mean caked it on thick!!! Guess what!? They didnít care one bit!!!!! Good lord, I literally had 1000ís of mosquitos around me and on me at a time. When I stopped to set up a stand I ran my thermacell and that helped the best. Soooooo pleaseeeee for your own sake, get a thermacell and bring a TON of extra pads and propane.

Water, water everywhere. Letís just say if you were planning on staying dry forget it. Iím not a fan of being in snake/alligator infested waters, but you donít have a choice right now. 75% of my walk to my spots is through water shin to thigh deep. Your only option is waders if you really wanna stay dry.

On a lighter note everything else looked awesome, got my two areas set up and now I canít wait until Saturday!!!

P.s. if I was hunting today I could have easily already had a big ol doe dead that walked out while I was setting up my stand and stood broadside at 20 yards.

Good luck everyone!!!!
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #186
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Yep some of the mosquitos were as big as dragonflies today and they donít give a **** about your spray! Also spotted a few doe, one buck at the entrance, and a big fox which was cool. Good luck everyone.

Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #187
Thumper
Pope & Young

Aransas is a trophy hunters dream...
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #188
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.

I had a conversation with officer Giles on my way in on Saturday afternoon and he told me 2 people had already done a few hours of scouting and told him they were never coming back there! Haha, it is definitely not for the faint of heart. I took y'alls advice on have multiple repellent options for the mosquitoes and came away without a single bite. That isn't to say they weren't swarming me annoyingly at all times but they didn't get any of my blood. Deep woods off coupled with picaridin lotion on any exposed skin, plus the thermacell on my hip at all times. I only got to meet GBludau in person but y'all might have seen me rolling around the refuge in my Honda Civic. Good luck to everyone and maybe I'll see y'all out there next week!
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #189
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim79x View Post
I had a conversation with officer Giles on my way in on Saturday afternoon and he told me 2 people had already done a few hours of scouting and told him they were never coming back there! Haha, it is definitely not for the faint of heart. I took y'alls advice on have multiple repellent options for the mosquitoes and came away without a single bite. That isn't to say they weren't swarming me annoyingly at all times but they didn't get any of my blood. Deep woods off coupled with picaridin lotion on any exposed skin, plus the thermacell on my hip at all times. I only got to meet GBludau in person but y'all might have seen me rolling around the refuge in my Honda Civic. Good luck to everyone and maybe I'll see y'all out there next week!

At least I wasnít the only one rolling around in a small car! My wife said, why are you taking my car?! I said well, my truck gets 14mpg your car gets 32mpg. Plus they have a cooler at the refuge, I can always throw a deer across the hood until I get to the cooler. Then Iíll bring my truck the next day to pick it up! 😂
Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #190
Thumper
Pope & Young

I was told 1000 hunters put in for the drawing for the Aransas Archery hunt and TPWD sold only 250 permits ????. Seems like they draw just twice, hunting permits that do not get bought after the second drawing go unused. Pretty crappy deal for those who put in for the drawing willing to buy a permit but was not selected...

There were only 9 bowhunters who bought standby permits. , so 31 were left unused. Not surprising with just a couple days notice.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #191
Thumper
Pope & Young

Got a copy of the current contact number for the hunts. This is the new temp trailer set up after Harvey. I've been calling old number that's still listed on their website, it goes to a line in the old building where no one is working.

Laura A. Bonneau
Visitor Services Manager
Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
1 Wildlife Circle
P.O. Box 100
Austwell, Texas 77950

Visitor Contact Station: 361/349-1181 On mon and tue you'll have to leave a message.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #192
Timemachine
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE & SW Texas

I hunt this place several time back when you just went online and bought a permit. It is a VERY hard hunt. It had finally gotten so over grown that you could not see a dang thing. But then there was a massive fire followed up by Harvey. Don't know what you guys will encounter. I killed a few deer in there including two 10 points. That said, i ain't never going back there. Just too old now. Best of luck. If you hunt hard, yo have a chance at a nice deer.
Timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #193
ibethemarc
Spike

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Makes me feel better about rolling around in my versa. Abother great thing about small cars, is that they float real well if go fast enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
At least I wasnít the only one rolling around in a small car! My wife said, why are you taking my car?! I said well, my truck gets 14mpg your car gets 32mpg. Plus they have a cooler at the refuge, I can always throw a deer across the hood until I get to the cooler. Then Iíll bring my truck the next day to pick it up!
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ibethemarc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #194
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibethemarc View Post
Makes me feel better about rolling around in my versa. Abother great thing about small cars, is that they float real well if go fast enough

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hahahah we should hold a ďcar drivers are hunters tooĒ meeting 😂🤣😅
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #195
RobertD
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas and Minnesota

This is all good information.

Is anyone bringing a sidearm?
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #196
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
Hahahah we should hold a ďcar drivers are hunters tooĒ meeting 🤣

lmao I was in a corolla...save that gas money!

Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #197
PaulH84
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
Yes I am , Iím coming from Steiner ranch in Travis county. Iím vamping also in a tent . I found a place that will rent a spot with water and access to power . So Iím bringing a hose an an extension cord a. Fan and permitherin spray down everything. Lol
Leonitas, I also live in Steiner and I'm hunting Aransas this wknd (as long as I can last.) Send me a message if you want to grab a beer or go to Austin Archery Club this week.
PaulH84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #198
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default So Iím going to try fishing

Quote:
Thursday I will try some fishing and Friday I will be scouting to hunt the weekend . I canít wait to see the redfish ! Then some deers ! Lol . Texas super slam weekend ! Canít wait . I had to be David copperfeild and Al bundie to go on this hunt . Lol
Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #199
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Steiner Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH84 View Post
Leonitas, I also live in Steiner and I'm hunting Aransas this wknd (as long as I can last.) Send me a message if you want to grab a beer or go to Austin Archery Club this week.
Yes sir , Iím going . My number is (561) 846-9145 call me and if I donít pick up Iíll return the call .
Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #200
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
lmao I was in a corolla...save that gas money!

Well then that makes at least 4 of us so far! As long as this hunt has been going on I guarantee you that it wouldnít be the 1st time a Aransas deer was laid across the hood of a car and brought to check in.