Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #101
ShawnSmithTX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Central & South Texas
Default Aransas NWR. One of 3 NWR hunts I drew this year

I also drew the Aransas NWR Archery Deer Hunt. I'll be staying in Fulton, Tx at the family beach house. I grew up in Rockport and remember as a kid my mom would take me to the NWR to go see the animals etc. Its going to be so awesome to be able to hunt there. I pretreat using Permethrin for my clothing and gear, Picaridin lotion and spray for skeeters. This usually lasts a full day in the field. I have yet to use my thermacell. I'm guessing rubber boots are a must if it rains. Ill be scouting the day before the hunt to check out some spots I have my eye on.
ShawnSmithTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #102
CoswayTyler
Spike

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
I also drew the Aransas NWR Archery Deer Hunt. I'll be staying in Fulton, Tx at the family beach house. I grew up in Rockport and remember as a kid my mom would take me to the NWR to go see the animals etc. Its going to be so awesome to be able to hunt there. I pretreat using Permethrin for my clothing and gear, Picaridin lotion and spray for skeeters. This usually lasts a full day in the field. I have yet to use my thermacell. I'm guessing rubber boots are a must if it rains. Ill be scouting the day before the hunt to check out some spots I have my eye on.
Thanks for the info in that picaridin I'm going to have to look into that. What brand permethrin do you use? I picked up some bens scent free permethrin to pre treat my clothes with. Fighting these bugs and still trying to somewhat play the scent control game is tough.
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #103
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Tree saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
My thoughts as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The saddle works on almost any tree. The smaller diameter trees work the best. The tree might not even be straight . Iím done with stands ! I also hunt from the ground and take most of the shots at game 6-30 yards . Depending on the cover and shooting lane . Think hunting turkey.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #104
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

This is going to be a great hunt this year, looking forward to it.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #105
CoswayTyler
Spike

Soooooooooooooo how's all this rain going to effect the hunt?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #106
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
Soooooooooooooo how's all this rain going to effect the hunt?
Larger and more abundant mosquitos. Waders required. At least we will hear them coming from the sound of splashing foot steps!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #107
Thumper
Pope & Young

Mike McNeil put Jack Suggs in a tree with knee deep water all around after it rained all night. Jack wasn't all that happy but he got up in the tree, about 10' off the ground.

Before sunrise Jack had to climb down and get his 4 arrows, he was sitting on a hog trail. At 7:45am Jack had stuck a couple of hogs and missed two others, but he wasn't about to climb down because he saw water moccasins swimming around near the tree. Later deer wadded past him and all he could do was watch them go by. Said it was a good spot to hunt but wasn't going back into "that dam water with moccasins all around" him.......
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #108
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
This is going to be a great hunt this year, looking forward to it.

Yes it is ! I canít wait . Seems like the whole year I ,wait for this . I canít wait to smell the salt in the air , and to see the sunrise ,while sitting still waiting to harvest some venison . Hekuna matata
Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #109
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
That is really great . Itís going to be totally awesome. I donít know how much water? Iím used to hunting in water ,in cypress domes. I doubt that there is as much water to worry about . I was told to use rubber boots ,and snake boots. I used to hunt barefoot because there was no real way to keep your feet dry back home. Here I would hate to step on a mesquite thorn ! Forget anything else . Or that evil catsclaw cactus . Oh sweet Jesus, thatís like fireants x100 . Lol
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #110
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Larger and more abundant mosquitos. Waders required. At least we will hear them coming from the sound of splashing foot steps!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Brother I did I read you right . You said we will hear them coming? I think you mean deer . If that is so , I know that you know what your talking about. Iím used to hearing that . I never expected to hear that in Texas . Omg itís going to be a dang good time ! Really this is a mans hunt ! I know of one gal brave enough to hunt it .
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #111
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Mike McNeil put Jack Suggs in a tree with knee deep water all around after it rained all night. Jack wasn't all that happy but he got up in the tree, about 10' off the ground.

Before sunrise Jack had to climb down and get his 4 arrows, he was sitting on a hog trail. At 7:45am Jack had stuck a couple of hogs and missed two others, but he wasn't about to climb down because he saw water moccasins swimming around near the tree. Later deer wadded past him and all he could do was watch them go by. Said it was a good spot to hunt but wasn't going back into "that dam water with moccasins all around" him.......
Thumper , I never thought in Texas, I was ever going to hunt in those conditions . That sounds pretty much like back home . I am so going to love it. Most folks pack up and turn around . Most leave early only the sick ones with the hunting bug stay because itís home . Yee haw
Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #112
Thumper
Pope & Young

That little yellow x is going to put 10" of rain on the refuge. Isaac, its a possible game changer two weeks before the hunt if it hits the middle coast.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #113
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
Brother I did I read you right . You said we will hear them coming? I think you mean deer . If that is so , I know that you know what your talking about. Iím used to hearing that . I never expected to hear that in Texas . Omg itís going to be a dang good time ! Really this is a mans hunt ! I know of one gal brave enough to hunt it .

Challenge accepted

Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #114
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Crazy how many people are excited about drawing it but could have been hunting there for years OTC.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #115
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Been keeping an eye on all that. Supposed to hit when I leave for my antelope hunt. Was in Colorado for Harvey and just got finished cleaning up from him. Hopefully it misses us.

If not, it'll make seeing animals through the brush easier with no leaves.
Quote:
That little yellow x is going to put 10" of rain on the refuge. Isaac, its a possible game changer two weeks before the hunt if it hits the middle coast.
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #116
Thumper
Pope & Young

Attached Images

Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #117
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
Hey y'all long time listener, first time caller. I drew this hunt this year and I am soooo glad that I found this thread. You guys are really dropping some good advise. I had no idea what to expect with this hunt.

I am bringing a blind and a ladder stand. I guess I am going to have to buy some snake boots. For sleeping arrangements, I have a truck bed tent that I usually use. Does anyone know any good places to park? I don't think I will be hunting very long. I might try and stay till Monday.

Anyone coming from the Austin area?
Yes I am , I’m comming from Steiner ranch in Travis county. I’m vamping also in a tent . I found a place that will rent a spot with water and access to power . So I’m bringing a hose an an extension cord a. Fan and permitherin spray down everything. Lol

Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-11-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #118
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Challenge accepted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Challenge accepted

Your going to get a buck ! Aim small miss small. I hope this storm doesnít shut us down . The good news is if it hits the following day the deer will be moving as if in a daze. They really move we will see a lot of activity. I heard itís going to be a muddy mess though . Lol I love mudd.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #119
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Your going to get a buck ! Aim small miss small. I hope this storm doesnít shut us down . The good news is if it hits the following day the deer will be moving as if in a daze. They really move we will see a lot of activity. I heard itís going to be a muddy mess though . Lol I love mudd.

Haha I sure hope so! Thanks for the positive affirmations lol. Yeah I was thinking it could be a blessing in disguise..

Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #120
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Flagging

Quote:
I think the storms follow us . Brother ,we left during the evacuation of hurricane Irma. We lived through 4 hurricanes in one year! I heard about the closings after Harvey. I hope this doesn’t affect our hunt . I think if it’s going to affect us and they don’t close the hunt , the deer will be moving before and immediately after. I heard it’s going to be a very muddy one . So do you recommend the flagging ? Doesn’t sound like it dose much good at all. I have some reflective clip on markers I have used for years to move in the darkness . Thumper ,can we walk out in the dark . I’m used to all day sits sun up to sun down with brief naps in the stand. I know not to leave a trace behind after a hunt . The public hunts I’m used to . Less experienced hunters whom didn’t scout will follow your markers to your stand in hope to set up close ans scalp your deer. They usually walk throughout sometimes twice . I don’t move or leave when this happens because they usually kick up deer. Especially during breakfast or lunch pangs of hunger kick in. Lol

Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-11-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #121
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Could you imagine that big 5 year old wise buck that has out smarted all the hunters never leaving the safety of his impenetrable fortress ,suddenly be running around after a storm and your out there all alone . This could be the hunt y’all
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #122
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Pray for the best , if it stays open we might have a lot of vacancies . Blood trailing deer in the rain or water is difficult at best. The skeeters and cotton mouths will be thick . This time of year the gators back in the Everglades have ther babies every where . Their little eyes and calls can be seen and heard before first light . I always wonder where mamma is hiding lol.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #123
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
Pray for the best , if it stays open we might have a lot of vacancies . Blood trailing deer in the rain or water is difficult at best. The skeeters and cotton mouths will be thick . This time of year the gators back in the Everglades have ther babies every where . Their little eyes and calls can be seen and heard before first light . I always wonder where mamma is hiding lol.
Pump em up with the truth
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #124
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:

Thatís so funny ! How bout feeling hits on your boots and just walking on ,later to see a big ole moccasin under the tree Iím set up in . Iíve hoped and prayed for that dude to move on or not to move in with me ,but he hung around till I shot a doe . Yeah she was ate before I got to her. These are the hunts Iíll never forget.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #125
Slingingsticks
Eight Point

Anyone know if standbys will be available, Got drawn but didn’t pay for permit in time doggone work gets in the way of things like that.
Slingingsticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #126
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default I have to ask are there any Palm trees

I love hunting in palm trees . Lol
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #127
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingingsticks View Post
Anyone know if standbys will be available, Got drawn but didnít pay for permit in time doggone work gets in the way of things like that.
No standby as I understand it . Call TWPD. Iím lost donít follow me . Lol
Old 09-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #128
Slingingsticks
Eight Point

Will do thank you for the response
Slingingsticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #129
Leonitas1306
Four Point

I was told by my father as a boy that the whooping cranes might be extinct back home . I never thought I’d hear their calls again . If the lord would permit i might be that little boy again if only for a passing flight a fleeting moment. Viva Texas !
Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #130
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Your welcome

Quote:
Something’s here a very different; TPWD , I have found that they enjoy speaking and answering our questions. Not so back home . Folks should know about how great life is in Texas y’all .

Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-11-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #131
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Hey anyone know if they ever have a turkey population explosion and they offer a management hunt .....? Just thought I’d ask .lol I miss my Turkey hunts . I want a Rio with a bow . I think Aransas , has turkey but just for looking at ,not eating ...lol
Old 09-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #132
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Unfortunately, from everything that I have heard you are pretty much up a creek with out a paddle. I would still call TPWD and see if they can't figure something out for you.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #133
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Get yalls canoes and kayaks ready . Been getting lots of rain down here this week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #134
CoswayTyler
Spike

So as far as bug suits are concerned. Are y'all going with a 3D leafy camo bug suit, or the green ones? The green simple ones are about a quarter of the price and if your in a ground blind it really doesn't matter.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #135
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Get yalls canoes and kayaks ready . Been getting lots of rain down here this week .

Hey!!!! You think that would work 😎
Old 09-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #136
Thumper
Pope & Young

Lets hope its just rain and its looking like that's what we're going to get.

1. A trough of low pressure is located over the central Gulf of
Mexico. Although associated shower activity remains limited,
upper-level winds are forecast to become more conducive for
the development of a tropical depression before the system reaches
the western Gulf coast on Friday. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane
Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the disturbance later
today, if necessary. Regardless of development, heavy rainfall and
gusty winds are expected across portions of northeastern Mexico,
Texas, and Louisiana late this week. Interests there should monitor
the progress of this system, and refer to products from their local
weather office.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #137
Thumper
Pope & Young

Isaac, round two following the same path.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #138
faircy
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the info, Thumper. Any idea how much rain it'll take for them to cancel the hunt? Sounds like there's already been plenty down there. And did they give much notice before they cancelled the hunt last year? I know these are general/tough questions to answer, just looking for some guidance before I cancel any travel plans. Been too excited for this hunt to have a little (a lot) of rain get in the way. Holding a good thought for the folks with property in the path of these storms.
faircy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #139
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default The church said AMEM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I will also be there the 28th too.

Just a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are REALLY going to do your scouting the 1ST DAY of the hunt, you won't be making friends with guys that already did their scouting and are hunting when you come busting through the area they are currently hunting. Please have common decency and some sportsman-like etiquette and quietly move out the area if you encroach someone.

More importantly, if you are having to scout the first day of the hunt, WAIT UNTIL several hours(4) after sunrise. Don't be that guy breaking brush at dawn.
Preach it brother! Nothing is worse than someone walking by at first light or in the evening right when itís the best .
Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #140
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Water is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Other than the road conditions the water and hunting in it is most productive for me . A lot of folks will not walk in it far either. Dragging is a a lot easier. How bad do these roads get .

Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-13-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #141
CoswayTyler
Spike

Y'all........

Please don't take this lightly........

I live in corpus, about an hour fifteen minutes from the fuge.........

If you are not planning on SEVERAL ways of fighting off mosquitoes your going to possibly die of blood loss. It's still raining down here and we have a LOAD of mosquitos where we normally don't have any. So, please for your own good, get prepared. It's going to be like something you have never seen in your life.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #142
Thumper
Pope & Young

Got a report this morning, rain gage 1 mile NW of the refuge showed a total of 15" for the last two weeks. Hunting buddy lives in Holiday Beach next to the refuge, said its expected to rain another 15" this next week. We're going to have plenty of standing water, gators and ducks love it...lol

Mosquitoes are going to be really bad this year most likely. Exceptions, one year we had standing water every where and no mosquitoes. As the water dried up during the hunt 10's of thousands of small dead perch were left in the trails and mud holes. The perch ate the mosquito larvae.

Factor in the equinox high tides every sept 21st that flood the marshes and salt flats, it doesn't have to rain for the refuge to have mosquitoes.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #143
ByronB
Ten Point

If I had a worst enemy......I would drop them in the middle of the Aransas Wildlife Refuge in shorts, t-shirt, no mosquito spray, and no snake boots. Some may think this is too harsh.
Thumper knows more than just about anyone here. When I was a young man back in the mid 70’s...my Dad began taking me to hunt at the refuge. I was nine on my first hunt there. If my Mother only knew the conditions then she would have divorced my Dad. LOL. I would tag along with my Dad and two of his other buddies. They all taught at Victoria High School back in the 70’s. Walking through chest-high water, seeing snakes, alligators, mosquitoes, and facing the heat made for a tough hunt at such a young age. My Dad would put me in a tree and go off to hunt. We would camp on the side of the road or stay at Hoppers Landing. I hunted the refuge for about ten years straight and finally stopped. Never been back. My Dad has arrowed a few decent bucks and plenty of hogs out there. Also lost plenty of hogs. Some of the brush is so thick it is virtually impossible to track an animal. Many adventures that I will never forget. The mosquitoes will test the toughest of individuals. This is not a hunt for the faint of heart. I have been lost on the refuge for hours one time. Had to wait until it was dark to make out headlights in the distance to find a road. I keep telling myself that one day I will go back but just have not done it. Some folks asked about bicycles.....leave the bike at home. Walk as far off the roads as you can. You will run in to other hunters. Just part of the hunt. Someone mentioned aluminum ladders. We would secure plastic boat seats on the top of a six foot ladder and carry them in for a half mile or so. It was the lightest thing to carry at the time. It was also easy to conceal a six foot ladder in the brush near game trails. Back to the mosquito spray.....if you do not put mosquito spray on your eyelids the mosquitoes will find that vulnerability. I kind of miss the humming noise of the mosquitoes as the sun came up. You will hear it. You will also hear it in your sleep. The steady hum of billions of mosquitoes. I am looking forward to all of the stories from this hunt. I could tell a whole bunch more stories but I digress. Heck, Thumper could probably write a book about the Refuge hunts. Looking forward to reading about the hunts this year. Have fun and good luck.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #144
ByronB
Ten Point

Oh, by the way....my avatar pic is my Dad and I at the Refuge. I was 19 in that pic. 51 now. Our Blue Jeep Cherokee is covered in coliche dust from the roads. Did not have any rain that year.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #145
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Aransas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Oh, by the way....my avatar pic is my Dad and I at the Refuge. I was 19 in that pic. 51 now. Our Blue Jeep Cherokee is covered in coliche dust from the roads. Did not have any rain that year.
I enjoy your post . The pic with your father is super great . I would like to say that your hunts here sounded a lot like mine growing up . I hunted the Everglades and central Florida . Sir , you would love it there . Yíall would feel right at home. I hope that I will find myself enjoying that ,this hunt . I canít tell you how great and motivating your posts are. Iím please to hear from HUNTERS . If you ever need help with your Turkey Slam , Iím your man for an oceola Turkey ! Iíd be glad to share some of my turkey roosts with yíall. God bless
Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #146
Thumper
Pope & Young

Scouting might be a little wet.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #147
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.

Important question for folks who've been out there before: What is the cell reception like, if any at all?
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #148
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim79x View Post
Important question for folks who've been out there before: What is the cell reception like, if any at all?

There are some weak spots but over all its pretty darn good.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #149
Thumper
Pope & Young

We may be in luck, most model runs have Isaac running in just south of Brownsville TX and moving through at a good speed. If they hold true the refuge should miss most of its heavy rains, even with the refuge being on the strong side of the storm.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #150
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

Just got notification I drew General as well. Going to be spending a lot of time down South this fall!

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top