Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default Gualdalupe River State Park

I drew the gun antlerless/spike hunt for this park and was hoping to gather a little information before i go. I've searched on TBH and the rest of the web but havent found a whole lot. I hope the exotics show up while im there but mainly just hoping to have a good time.

Anybody been or going this year? I appreciate anything you can share!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
J-Bob
Ten Point
 
J-Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Draws
Default

Congrats Doug!!! Hope you kill a big axis.
J-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Thanks im looking forward to it! I retired a couple of months ago so finally have time to do some of the public stuff for fun. This one must not be a very popular hunt???
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
sqiggy
Pope & Young
 
sqiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin, Tx
Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co
Default

I been once, a long time ago. My brother tagged out on deer. I saw nothing, other than a dog that came walking thru and then "treed" me in a tripod.
Only exotics seen was some blackbucks. Think one of those were shot.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
I been once, a long time ago. My brother tagged out on deer. I saw nothing, other than a dog that came walking thru and then "treed" me in a tripod.
Only exotics seen was some blackbucks. Think one of those were shot.
Thanks for the info, i would love a blackbuck!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Oz_Ag
Pope & Young
 
Oz_Ag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Weimar, TX
Hunt In: Colorado & Duval Counties
Default

I'll be there the first week of November with my dad and buddy. Should be a fun hunt!
Oz_Ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_Ag View Post
I'll be there the first week of November with my dad and buddy. Should be a fun hunt!
I'm going the week after you. Hope yall have some good luck and can pass on some info!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Bowtech Shooter
Ten Point
 
Bowtech Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Giddings
Hunt In: Lee, Fayette, KENDALL
Default

I went a couple years back and shot a whitetail spike and axis doe. They have benches in the 4x4 stand that are uncomfortable. I walked in with my own chair and took the bench out. it is removable. I also brought some camo netting and covered all of the windows based on a recommendation here and think it really helped. The deer come out and look straight at the stand. all in all i had a good hunt. i shot a couple pigs also.
Bowtech Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Casey
Administrator
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulverde
Default

Saw this over the summer. I hope you get to see as much.

https://www.facebook.com/16657673343...5282497232094/
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Saw this over the summer. I hope you get to see as much.

https://www.facebook.com/16657673343...5282497232094/
Dang Casey them dudes were serious!!!! Thanks i'm looking forward to it!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
I went a couple years back and shot a whitetail spike and axis doe. They have benches in the 4x4 stand that are uncomfortable. I walked in with my own chair and took the bench out. it is removable. I also brought some camo netting and covered all of the windows based on a recommendation here and think it really helped. The deer come out and look straight at the stand. all in all i had a good hunt. i shot a couple pigs also.
Thanks for tips! I will bring a chair and some netting with thumbtacks.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
Jimbo47
Six Point
 
Jimbo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Default

Don't forget the thermacel the skeeters will eat you alive.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Don't forget the thermacel the skeeters will eat you alive.
Thanks i will always have one of those in my bag!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
J-Bob
Ten Point
 
J-Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Draws
Default

Congrats on retiring, Doug. Thanks for your service all those years.

Awesome video Casey!!
J-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #15
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bob View Post
Congrats on retiring, Doug. Thanks for your service all those years.

Awesome video Casey!!
Thanks, I figured 33 years was long enough! Its time to fulfill a few of those dreams i had and doing some of the public hunting stuff is one of them! I've stil got my lease but im going to spend some time this year in the national forest and on any of the TPWD hunts i can get on. Probably start here this year and maybe try some other state next year. Life is good!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #16
furtrapper
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blooming Grove, TX
Hunt In: Navarro and Freestone counties
Default Grsp

Son in law and I hunted there 2 years ago, he got a Sika doe on the first day, saw nothing on the second day and got 2 whitetail on the 3rd morning. I missed a yearly the first day, killed a 7 point and a axis doe the second day and saw nothing on the 3rd. The hunter just past us saw nothing the entire hunt. I heard a lot of axis but only saw 1, it liked the molasses I put out, you should put netting on the window openings and take a better chair. Also best if you stay in the stand all day, worked for me.buck came out at 2 and the axis came out with 2 minutes of legal shooting time left. Too dark to see her without a low powered scope. Also be prepared for the coons in camp.

Last edited by furtrapper; 09-26-2018 at 07:49 PM.
furtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtrapper View Post
Son in law and I hunted there 2 years ago, he got a Sika doe on the first day, saw nothing on the second day and got 2 whitetail on the 3rd morning. I missed a yearly the first day, killed a 7 point and a axis doe the second day and saw nothing on the 3rd. The hunter just past us saw nothing the entire hunt. I heard a lot of axis but only saw 1, it liked the molasses I put out, you should put netting on the window openings and take a better chair. Also best if you stay in the stand all day, worked for me.buck came out at 2 and the axis came out with 2 minutes of legal shooting time left. Too dark to see her without a low powered scope. Also be prepared for the coons in camp.

Thanks for the information. I plan to bring a better chair and some mesh for the windows. I'll also plan to spend some serious time in the stand. Hoping to see some exotics of some type!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com