Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #201
Big Ace
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

If they are similar to an elk's size, I had a 105 and 125 yeti that it fit into. The hams barely fit lengthwise. I was in CO so I had to have the proof of sex naturally attached. I was scared if I removed the bone that I would cut something that I wasn't supposed to. I would say that if you removed all the bones that you could get close with one ice chest and ice.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #202
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.
If you are not going to de-bone, then 2 120s should be enough for a medium size bull. If you kill a mature bull it will be a tight fit on two ice chests in my opinion. A mature bull is just about as big as a mature Elk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #203
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.

I think Iíll try to find somebody to help me haul it out and give half of it away. Do that and it should fit easily with ice. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #204
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
I think Iíll try to find somebody to help me haul it out and give half of it away. Do that and it should fit easily with ice. Just a thought.

That will work too! Give me a ring, I live 10 minutes from the refuge. LOL.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #205
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck

Is there any driving access into section 3 or is it just a long hike?
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #206
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
Is there any driving access into section 3 or is it just a long hike?
No driving, long hike or bike ride.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #207
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
If you are not going to de-bone, then 2 120s should be enough for a medium size bull. If you kill a mature bull it will be a tight fit on two ice chests in my opinion. A mature bull is just about as big as a mature Elk.

well...if I am fortunate enough to bring down a mature bull...I will gladly go buy an additional ice chest. Really hoping to have one walk into range oblivious to my location.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #208
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
well...if I am fortunate enough to bring down a mature bull...I will gladly go buy an additional ice chest. Really hoping to have one walk into range oblivious to my location.
Well best of luck to you. I remember the first time I killed a nilgai bull with my bow. I was so excited, I looked at it and assumed since it was not a mature bull I could drag it...NOT. I could not even drag it three feet even after I gutted it. I had to quarter it up and the hind quarters were so heavy I had to take one hind quarter at a time. Luckily I was only about a half mile from the road.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #209
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think Iíd like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai Attachment 923219Attachment 923220

Amen to that, I'm thinking White tail first on this hunt. As hard as it sounds, I'd like to pack out some meat for the work put in. I've been shooting at 50 yards as standard practice, haven't found space to get out past that yet. Going to have to set my pins up different for this hunt to get those ranges.
As for vitals, I saw a video on YT that showed a shot placement where you'd normally stick one and blew through the heart. I've read just behind the shoulder is ideal so a quartering away angle is best.

I'm out there for the 12/7 hunt also.
NxSTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #210
NxSTexan
Six Point

I'm going to throw this offer out there...should anyone here get a Nilgai on the ground and track it down, I will help pack that sucker out. I'm hunting the 12/7 draw.

I'm new here, so PM me if you're interested in exchanging information. Being a small part of a successful harvest is a rewarding memory for me.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #211
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
I'm going to throw this offer out there...should anyone here get a Nilgai on the ground and track it down, I will help pack that sucker out. I'm hunting the 12/7 draw.

I'm new here, so PM me if you're interested in exchanging information. Being a small part of a successful harvest is a rewarding memory for me.

Same offer from me. If anyone needs help packing out any animals on the 12/7 hunt Iíll be glad to help. My number one plan is to find the bucks, if I can get in on a nice buck Iíll be happy. But Iíll be shooting up to 70 yards until then in case I get a shot at a big bull. Luckily the range here in spring goes out to 76 yards and if nobody is there I can back up to 90

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #212
Texas Kidd
Six Point

Hunt In: Dryden, Texas

Quote:
Same offer from me. If anyone needs help packing out any animals on the 12/7 hunt Iíll be glad to help. My number one plan is to find the bucks, if I can get in on a nice buck Iíll be happy. But Iíll be shooting up to 70 yards until then in case I get a shot at a big bull. Luckily the range here in spring goes out to 76 yards and if nobody is there I can back up to 90

Do you guys use WhatsApp? Perhaps we can get a group chat going.
Texas Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #213
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Kidd View Post
Do you guys use WhatsApp? Perhaps we can get a group chat going.

Yessir. Sure do.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #214
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

I donít use WhatsApp but if yíall get a group message fired up count me in

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #215
ShawnSmithTX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Central & South Texas

So I got drawn again for the Archery hunt Nov 16-20. I went last year and had some ups and downs. Stuck a cow and a bull. Cow i knew i barely hit bc she moved but i found the bull. Problem was he swam across a stream/river or whatever and died. Unfortunately the buzzards found him before i could. He ran for about a mile. Iíve never seen so many buzzards on an animal that quick. I had another 2 more within range but couldnít get a clean shot off. I packed light and was mobile on my bike. I used a backpacking chair with camo shirt over it and just used the bike to get to an area to hunt. Find water, trails or large fresh dung piles. If the hunters donít mess up their routine too much they will definitely come to the same dung pile.

Large dung pile that i saw multiple bulls using. For some reason i didnít hunt it until the last morning and that was the one day they didnít come.

ShawnSmithTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #216
ShawnSmithTX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Central & South Texas

So my 66 yr old dad drew a tag with me for the hunt but heís not in any condition to bike in very far and canít walk too far. He had an accidental shot in the calf last year with a 357 Magnum. A day before Harvey hit. We live in Houston.
I already know, i told him this isnít a hunt he needs to go on a year later but he is determined and really excited about it.
My question is: are electric bikes or pedal assist bikes really not allowed at Laguna or the NWRís. Me personally, I donít think they should be allowed unless you are disabled etc but Iím curious what the NWR rules truly are. I know a lot of guys (myself included) probably wouldnít want it to be known that you can use electric bikes but I think Iíll call the rangers and find out.

ShawnSmithTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #217
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
So I got drawn again for the Archery hunt Nov 16-20. I went last year and had some ups and downs. Stuck a cow and a bull. Cow i knew i barely hit bc she moved but i found the bull. Problem was he swam across a stream/river or whatever and died. Unfortunately the buzzards found him before i could. He ran for about a mile. Iíve never seen so many buzzards on an animal that quick. I had another 2 more within range but couldnít get a clean shot off. I packed light and was mobile on my bike. I used a backpacking chair with camo shirt over it and just used the bike to get to an area to hunt. Find water, trails or large fresh dung piles. If the hunters donít mess up their routine too much they will definitely come to the same dung pile.

Large dung pile that i saw multiple bulls using. For some reason i didnít hunt it until the last morning and that was the one day they didnít come.

Well it sounds like you got the place pegged dude! I got the third draw so Iím trying to factor in pressure. Maybe get lucky on a guess at pattern change.

I wouldnít have any issues personally with an e-bike. Looked for a way around it but they have it pretty well under thumb. That should be the exception if there was one.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #218
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
That will work.
TX CHICKEN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #219
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I put new tubes, new tube liners and new "reinforced tires" on the bike.

the tube liners were a pain to get in there and stay centered. Will slime them tomorrow. Gotta build up the right side pedal couple inches to balance me out. Working on a cart..should have pictures tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how far I can make it back into unit 1.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #220
NeedmoreOutdoor
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

If you go back to last years threads you get to see what units most the animals were killed in through out the different hunts by pictures posted of the kill board. I was there for the exotic only hunt last year. We started out in Unit 1 but ended up moving to the northern units of 3,5 and 8. They seemed to have more sign than unit 1 at that time. But they were also a lot more open than unit 1 or 6. This year just a lot of scouting will determine what unit we end up in.
NeedmoreOutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #221
NeedmoreOutdoor
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

Just thought I would give my experience of last year being my first year to hunt laguna. Kill board photos sure helped me to decide when We hadn’t seen much for a couple of days it was time to move to units that had produced more animals the weeks of hunting prior to our hunt. And we never saw or talked to anyone that was hunting unit 2. I wish we would have scouted in Unit 2, just to see what it had to offer. Laguna is a huge place, that is forsure. Once we moved units and got away from other hunters we saw more game but still was unable to connect on a nilgai, had a cow within 40 yards just couldn’t get a good shot on her.
NeedmoreOutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #222
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
I put new tubes, new tube liners and new "reinforced tires" on the bike.

the tube liners were a pain to get in there and stay centered. Will slime them tomorrow. Gotta build up the right side pedal couple inches to balance me out. Working on a cart..should have pictures tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how far I can make it back into unit 1.

Where did you get liners and reinforced tires?

Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #223
Huntindad
Pope & Young

the tires and heavy duty tubes I got at Walmart. everything else off amazon. Keeping the liners centered in the tire was brutal. Hope it stayed that way once I got the tire completely on. The liners are color coded depending on size. Think I got brown for my 26" bike.

Weather permitting, gonna go down there this weekend.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #224
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Good deal. Wish I didnít have grand sims bd party this week end Iíd meet up with you.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #225
sooner_hunter
Nubbin' Buck

I was drawn for the rifle hunt in January - anyone else on here drawn for that hunt? 1/18-20?

Not sure if this is the right discussion forum for that or not.

sooner_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #226
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Sooner hunter,

hopefully, there'll be several success stories posted here once the hunts start. You should have cooler weather than mine in mid November.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #227
sooner_hunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Sooner hunter,

hopefully, there'll be several success stories posted here once the hunts start. You should have cooler weather than mine in mid November.

For sure, I did the early season bow hunt a couple of years ago and it was definitely a tough one. Good luck to you!

Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #228
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_hunter View Post
I was drawn for the rifle hunt in January - anyone else on here drawn for that hunt? 1/18-20?

I am pending the second draw. I have hunted the Atascosa for years and have never been drawn for any rifle hunts.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #229
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

My wife and I will be there for the 1/4-1/6 rifle hunt. Havenít been drawn for rifle in years and itís my wifeís first time down there. Itís definitely a challenging and sometimes rewarding hunt. Just got to watch those ticks and snakes for sure!

DPerez905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #230
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I went out there yesterday. They have had alot of rain. Lot of standing water/ponds. Even water sitting in road ruts.

The grass is thick and about waist tall.

I have heard that the Nilgai like the areas around the salt water..areas 3 5 & 8...anybody know why? would it be something that grows there that they like. Do they roll in the salty area to keep critters off of them(just a WAG ) I guess that xplains why there is not a lot of harvest boards with unit 1 on them...
Old 09-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #231
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
I went out there yesterday. They have had alot of rain. Lot of standing water/ponds. Even water sitting in road ruts.

I have heard that the Nilgai like the areas around the salt water..areas 3 5 & 8...anybody know why? would it be something that grows there that they like. Do they roll in the salty area to keep critters off of them(just a WAG ) I guess that xplains why there is not a lot of harvest boards with unit 1 on them...
Did you go to the look out by the water or did they let you go up the dirt road to unit 8?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #232
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:

Nilgai are the only mammal that strictly drink salt water. Thatís why they originate from the coast of India that border the Indian Ocean.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #233
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Nilgai are the only mammal that strictly drink salt water. Thatís why they originate from the coast of India that border the Indian Ocean.
Ummm...yeah...if you say so.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #234
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
Did you go to the look out by the water or did they let you go up the dirt road to unit 8?

I rode a little ways down county road.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #235
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Ummm...yeah...if you say so.
You never know. Someone may believe it lol.

Iíve always figured since they have excellent eyesights and other senses, they prefer hanging in open near brush so they can spot predators from a distance and retreat to cover if needed. On our lease, we donít have any open areas so the nilgai are always in the brush but generally just one or 2 at a time. Where as down the road from us, there are some open fields where weíll see herds of 10-20 at a time.

Same thing if you drive from Brownsville to port Isabel and youíll always see nilgai hanging out right on the edge of the brush or right on the edge of the salt flats.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #236
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

[QUOTE

Same thing if you drive from Brownsville to port Isabel and youíll always see nilgai hanging out right on the edge of the brush or right on the edge of the salt flats.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Seen them many times in the flat behind the HEB in Port Isabel.
gemini2759 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #237
JackRyan
Four Point

A couple of months ago we saw a group of 17 Nilgai near that area. We pulled over and watched them for quite a while. Almost all cows with their young, then two bulls came into the mix. It was pretty neat to watch them and see how they interacted.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #238
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Iíve watched tons of YouTube videos of nilgai in the wild. You could call me an expert of sorts

Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #239
mcattc
Nubbin' Buck

When are the second draws taking place?

mcattc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #240
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcattc View Post
When are the second draws taking place?

Today or tomorrow I believe.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #241
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Good luck guys
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #242
RGV Hunter
Six Point

It still says "Pending 2nd Draw", so I guess it will be tomorrow!!!.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #243
DannyGarcia
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_hunter View Post

I also got drawn for those dates, first time drawn for the rifle hunt at laguna very excited to start my year there hopefully cooler weather and no mosquitos
DannyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #244
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Iíve watched tons of YouTube videos of nilgai in the wild. You could call me an expert of sorts

Check out some videos of Nilgai bulls fighting. I definitely had that on my mind while I was busting through that thick brush out there last year... lol
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #245
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
I rode a little ways down county road.

Huntindad, did you find me a place to set up ?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #246
Huntindad
Pope & Young

yeah, next to the mesquite tree in the tall grass. That's bout all I saw riding down that road. granted, I didn't go real far. it is a looonnng road.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #247
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I imagine when the hunt starts that road will be a parallel parking lot with all the trucks parked on the side.

that was my first time on the LANWR and boy it sure is green out there. Will be hard to find a spot. After the hunt starts, I really don't to go walking around looking for a spot cause I don't want to interfere with others. Will be interesting.

another option is to get up on the hill and see where the Nilgai are being pushed from..LOL
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #248
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

anyone else hunting the rifle hunt Jan 11-13
yanta61 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #249
sooner_hunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGarcia View Post
I also got drawn for those dates, first time drawn for the rifle hunt at laguna very excited to start my year there hopefully cooler weather and no mosquitos

Awesome, are you planning on camping or lodging at a hotel? Iím hunting solo which isnít the greatest idea on this one if you want to be able to go far back.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #250
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
yeah, next to the mesquite tree in the tall grass. That's bout all I saw riding down that road. granted, I didn't go real far. it is a looonnng road.

Thanks