Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #51
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
I've never used a pop up out there, but have used several heights of tripods without spooking animals.

Trying to think of what would be best for hauling/concealment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #52
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I hear of a lot of folks using aluminum tripods that can be thrown over the shoulder or pulled easily in a bike trailer.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #53
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Yes. Will be there 16 also.
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #54
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Just paid for the permit. Didn't want to do what I did last year and lose the hunt!
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #55
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Lots of TBH folks gonna be down there. We'll need to have a GTG sometime down there.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #56
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Good luck to everyone. I will see at orientation.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #57
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Trying to think of what would be best for hauling/concealment.

I'm having the same thought process. The tripod is a great idea since stalking would be near impossible with all the bodies around. I don't want to blow someone else's cover or sit. I read someone mention 8' tripods, I've only seen and found 10'. Is that a custom build height?
The bike also seems a great idea, but maintenance and punctures don't seem worth the extra time spent getting it right.
NxSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #58
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
I'm having the same thought process. The tripod is a great idea since stalking would be near impossible with all the bodies around. I don't want to blow someone else's cover or sit. I read someone mention 8' tripods, I've only seen and found 10'. Is that a custom build height?
The bike also seems a great idea, but maintenance and punctures don't seem worth the extra time spent getting it right.
I would highly recommend the sit approach. You will make a lot people angry by walking around during hunting hours.

I have a 6 foot Breakdown triptop that I had built for laguna, but I found it easier to walk around with a chair and set up along a trail than haul around a tripod.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #59
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
I would highly recommend the sit approach. You will make a lot people angry by walking around during hunting hours.

I have a 6 foot Breakdown triptop that I had built for laguna, but I found it easier to walk around with a chair and set up along a trail than haul around a tripod.

Think Iím gonna end up doing that. Find a chair itís comfortable to shoot a bow out of lol.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #60
Budman68
Ten Point

Quote:
Think Iím gonna end up doing that. Find a chair itís comfortable to shoot a bow out of lol.

I'm to big for a tripod, so I'll need to figure out ground cover and a chair.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #61
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Hunt In: Dryden, Texas

I got drawn for 12/7 to 12/11. Anyone gonna walk it in instead of taking a bike? Thinking about doing that to challenge myself a bit.
Texas Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #62
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:

Agreed. Why I'm torn between a pop-up and tripod. That's a great idea you have, wouldn't take much to wrap some camo cover around the sitting spot. Thanks for tips brother.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #63
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Kidd View Post
I got drawn for 12/7 to 12/11. Anyone gonna walk it in instead of taking a bike? Thinking about doing that to challenge myself a bit.

Same dates, Iíll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

Old 08-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #64
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Kidd View Post
I will be walking during the same hunt. A bike is a great idea to get to spots quick, but with the thorny brush and cacti punctures are inevitable. Walking seems to give more opportunity to glass and change positions more freely.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #65
NxSTexan
Four Point

What draw weight are you all using for your setup? I'm prepping for white tail at 65#, but on the off chance I get a shot at a Blue, will it be enough? Shooting a Rage Trypan head.

Last edited by NxSTexan; 08-19-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #66
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Can you shoot nilgai on the deer hunts?

Old 08-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #67
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Agreed. Why I'm torn between a pop-up and tripod. That's a great idea you have, wouldn't take much to wrap some camo cover around the sitting spot. Thanks for tips brother.
To me, the biggest down side to sitting on a chair on the ground is the time you have to sit in the dark till sunrise. Iíve had some major pucker causing experiences out there and almost been run over by 300 pound + pig in the dark. Now thatíll get your blood pumping. Our south Texas brush has always given me the creeps in total darkness.

Iím sure everyone will read it on every laguna thread you look up here, but really cannot stress to prepare for ticks and watch for rattlers.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #68
NxSTexan
Four Point

First page of the hunt guide under Regulations. Underlined
Quote:
Can you shoot nilgai on the deer hunts?

Old 08-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #69
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Quote:
Same dates, Iíll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

I was thinking the same thing. Don't really feel like carrying extra gear. Even if it helps me get to my spot faster.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #70
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
To me, the biggest down side to sitting on a chair on the ground is the time you have to sit in the dark till sunrise. Iíve had some major pucker causing experiences out there and almost been run over by 300 pound + pig in the dark. Now thatíll get your blood pumping. Our south Texas brush has always given me the creeps in total darkness.

Iím sure everyone will read it on every laguna thread you look up here, but really cannot stress to prepare for ticks and watch for rattlers.
I heard that man! I grew up in Mission, live in Fort Worth now.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #71
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Quote:
What draw weight are you all using for your setup? I'm prepping for white tail at 65#, but on the off chance I get a shot at a Blue, will it be enough? Shooting a Rage Trypan head.
I'm using the same weight. Anyone killed a nilgai out there?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #72
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Anyone know if youíre allowed to bring a guest? Iíd think no since they already have so many people out there

Old 08-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #73
NxSTexan
Four Point

Only to scout the day before. You can bring two if I read it correctly. Not for the actual hunt.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #74
DannyGarcia
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Anyone know if youíre allowed to bring a guest? Iíd think no since they already have so many people out there

I think you need to read the pdf form they give you. Your asking if you can hunt nilgai and guests... all that is on the pdf

DannyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #75
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGarcia View Post
I think you need to read the pdf form they give you. Your asking if you can hunt nilgai and guests... all that is on the pdf

U rite

Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #76
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Same dates, I’ll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

I hunted two years in a row. First year I had no bike but used a buddy’s on 1 day. It was def way worse on the legs and feet. Had blisters like crazy. Last year I went out of my way trying to find a bike. It is night and days different and wayyyyyy much easier to get around. I hunted unit 3 last year almost every day and it took me about 30 minutes to get back there. Walking would take way over an hour. I would put my bow in my back pack along enough snacks/food/drinks for the entire day. I even saw some guys rig up mounts to put the bow in. One thing about the guys that walk is more and more of the only go a couple hundred yards into the units. Lots of hunters close to the roads.

Pulling a cart was to hard. The cart I have has solid hard tires and made it worse to pull over the rocks.

Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 08-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #77
redneckmarine75
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I was just drawn for the Nov 30th. I am really looking forward to it....
redneckmarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #78
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
that community center is gonna be packed if every one shows up

There's three sessions, but yeah it was packed last year.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #79
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:

Once you are a mile+ in you don't see many people. And even then those are the wandering type anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We "spoiled" a few people's hunts and had a few "spoil" ours (and Sneaky almost took an arrow to the knee) but it is what it is when you have 250 groups of people out hunting in one area... just be as courteous as possible and move along if you see orange.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #80
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

it gets less and less busy each day. agree that most people stay near the road

these critters are big and tough, saw many arrows either taken in the chest, but missed vitals or that glanced off the hide when they ducked the arrow.

it is really important to take good quality shots at the vitals and know where the vitals are on a nilgai. if you miss the vitals, you will likely not find the nilgai.
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #81
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:

I'm a stubborn sumbeesh so I'm bringing the strugglestick again.

64" Hoyt Satori 55# @ 28" with Black Eagle Instinct arrows + 250gr Valkyrie Blood Eagle broadheads.

My wife will have a crossbow as well to hopefully even the odds a bit.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #82
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

This was my set up last year. It wasn't easy but definitely beat walking in to the back. I did over 8miles the day I decided to move my set up. The hunt kicked my butt but was extremely gratifying. Pushing yourself to the limit and sharing your stories with everyone else that was doing the same was cool. Napping in base layers and socks to relieve the feet and bs'n was worth it. Everyone is given the exact same opportunity and working their butts off and just waiting for luck to give them one shot. Freakn blast man. I'm hooked.
Name:  ref.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  96.0 KB
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #83
Txcatsailor01
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Nice Pig Jr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckmarine75 View Post
Txcatsailor01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #84
NxSTexan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
This was my set up last year. It wasn't easy but definitely beat walking in to the back. I did over 8miles the day I decided to move my set up. The hunt kicked my butt but was extremely gratifying. Pushing yourself to the limit and sharing your stories with everyone else that was doing the same was cool. Napping in base layers and socks to relieve the feet and bs'n was worth it. Everyone is given the exact same opportunity and working their butts off and just waiting for luck to give them one shot. Freakn blast man. I'm hooked.
Attachment 920901
How often did you move positions? What's your maintenance packing look like for the bike?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #85
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
How often did you move positions? What's your maintenance packing look like for the bike?
I won't advise constant moving. That's a call you make in the field depending on your situation, changing conditions, pressure, and confidence in your area.

I will advise that not preparing your bicycle will cost you frustration, lost time and possibly a destination you were seeking first. Walmart- Slime your tubes, pick up tube protectors. Carry a patch kit, and a CO2 cartridge for light weight, or like me, just bunging an bike air pump to your bike, it'll get you back, if the others fail. Many may call BS, but I've bet I've biked well over 60 miles during my hunts and scouting there, I experienced one substantial puncture in which my tube began spitting slime out on me as I was riding out one afternoon, I quickly began peddling as hard as I could to make up as much distance to the truck before it went flat, it sealed and did its job. Still holding to this day, almost a year later, and almost 3 years after installing the slime/flat protector. Point and case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #86
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckmarine75 View Post
Me too! Me and my buddy sneaky are drawn for the 30th as well. He got one last year. Young bull

Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 08-21-2018 at 01:58 AM.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #87
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Well his group got one!
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #88
enewman
Ten Point

What arrow is every one shooting. I’m normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So it’s going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #89
enewman
Ten Point

Another question. Some are talking about tri pods. When talking height are we talking butt height or eye height
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #90
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
i moved three times but wouldn't recommend it. I would of stayed at first spot but I had a noisy neighbor move in. Last spot was an area I wanted to scope out in hopes for getting drawn this year. ...im going back to it. Get some spare slime filled tubes from WalMart. I laid my bike down on some thorns and I thought a rattler was hissing at me at 0500. Freaked me out. The bike I have has the quick release wheels so it was a breeze to change out the tube. This year im packing heavy and settin up for long stays in a pop up. Hauling the generator in last
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #91
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
What arrow is every one shooting. Iím normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So itís going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.

Shooting a 31Ē axis w/50 grain insert and 100 grain broadhead.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #92
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Haven't hunted there in a few years but hunted there many years starting in 1993. Do you need a bike? Not necessarily. I've biked in and walked in either will work just fine. I've said it before and I will say it again, if you are going to bike and the refuge gets any rain your bike will be useless. The tires will cake up with clay. Tripod? If you are going to use a steel tripod you will have hell carrying it. You may have a trailer/game cart to get it near your spot but getting it off the trail and in the brush can suck if it's any measurable distance. Several years ago my dad and I got aluminum tripods and they were worth every penny. If you plan on hunting off the ground make sure that you get comfortable chair that can swivel. There are so many trials that you'll be set up on one and have an animal come down another near you when you least expect it. Being able to swivel quietly will increase your chances. Remember you are not allowed to trim brush so what I do is take some paracord and tie obstructing branches back out of the way. Remember to untie and take the cord with you when you are done hunting. It's a tough hunt.

Oh get a game cart. I always took mine in on the first day and stashed it near my hunting area and left it out there the whole hunt till I needed it. I used to lock it to a tree but after a while I stopped doing that and it never went anywhere.

Last edited by SneakyPhil; 08-21-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: .
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #93
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Quote:
Another question. Some are talking about tri pods. When talking height are we talking butt height or eye height
Mine is 7' to the seat. Perfect for where i set up.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #94
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Quote:
What arrow is every one shooting. Iím normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So itís going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.
Easton Axis, about 425 gr, 125 gr rage extreme. Worked great last year on whitetail.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #95
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

All this talk of getting a bike, taking out game carts, worrying about having the right arrow, itís all kind of overwhelming haha. I think Iím just going to load up a steel pack with essentials to hunt all day, some rattling antlers, knives for field dressing and some game bags to haul out meat. Only extra weight Iíll be carrying is my small swivel chair.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #96
RuebenCaballero
Nubbin' Buck

Good luck to everyone. Everyone has a plan for day 1 after day 2 you start to see who’s really ready for the long haul. Embrace the suck!! To those who make it all the way through, you know the the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. We do it cause we love it. That being said, don’t be the guy who moves around all day.
RuebenCaballero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #97
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Easton Axis, about 425 gr, 125 gr rage extreme. Worked great last year on whitetail.
I see this ok for whitetail. But from what Iíve been reading this animal is tuff. And 3 times bigger then a whitetail. But again I took a 1200lbs. Water buffalo with a 465 gr arrow but I had a two blad stinger on it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #98
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
All this talk of getting a bike, taking out game carts, worrying about having the right arrow, itís all kind of overwhelming haha. I think Iím just going to load up a steel pack with essentials to hunt all day, some rattling antlers, knives for field dressing and some game bags to haul out meat. Only extra weight Iíll be carrying is my small swivel chair.

rattling antlers? You get picked for the late hunt? I'll be there 12/7 as well
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #99
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
rattling antlers? You get picked for the late hunt? I'll be there 12/7 as well

Haha yes sir! Prime time I hope!