Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #51
Texas_Aggie
Nubbin' Buck

Been a bit busy, so I haven't had a chance to follow up. The short story is, I came back home with some good memories but no nilgai.
I biked/walked 5 miles Thursday scouting around, and 10 miles each Friday and Saturday. There was one bull taken Friday and one, that I know of, taken Saturday. Both were on the northern part of the Refuge. I was hunting the south and west areas. Saw a lot of javelina and whitetails, but only saw one nilgai bull. I came up on his downwind side and didn't see him until he spooked probably about 30 yards away from me.

Not being able to use powered vehicles is a real disadvantage for hunting the refuge. We were back at the parking lot when the groups that killed were coming back from the field and they were exhausted. The near 90 degree heat didn't help matters much.

That being said, I had a good time and would do it all over again. The only thing I would do differently is to buy my liquor before I got to Raymondville. There is only one liquor store in town and the shelves were pretty much bare! :-)
Texas_Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #52
mcole999
Nubbin' Buck

My 11 and 14 year old sons have been selected for the youth hunt on 11/9/18. Any info on this unit would be great.
mcole999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #53
LoneStarCarnivo
Nubbin' Buck

My 16 Year Old Daughter was selected for the youth hunt 12/21-12/23. We are experienced in back country hunting for Elk out West but this will be our first experience here.
LoneStarCarnivo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #54
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCarnivo View Post
My 16 Year Old Daughter was selected for the youth hunt 12/21-12/23. We are experienced in back country hunting for Elk out West but this will be our first experience here.
Cool me and my 11 year old will be there that same weekend. Gonna try to get there on Wednesday day and scout Thursday before the hunt.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #55
LoneStarCarnivo
Nubbin' Buck

We plan on doing the same, have you figured out where to stay yet?
LoneStarCarnivo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #56
txhushlife
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Really liked this hunt last year, alot of good places to hunt out there too! Let me know if yall have any questions about the East Lake Unit.
txhushlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #57
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

My 15yo got drawn for jan 4. For these youth it is a deer hunt with chance for exotics. Most threads are about the nilgai which we would both be ecstatic to see and/or harvest. What's the deer population like? Better areas in the unit for one or the other?
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #58
txhushlife
Four Point

Deer are definitely out there, I saw more Nilgai then deer but i believe they are always going back and forth from the private property. saw a lot of fence crossing areas going back and forth.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #59
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

Bringing this back to the top. Just found out i was drawn for East Lake 2-15 to 2-17 and would love some insight on where you guys found the Nilgai to be moving when you were there. I've got a basic understanding of the property already.

I'll just admit it... I know zero about how a Nilgai behaves.
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #60
mcattc
Nubbin' Buck

I drew for the next weekend! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcattc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #61
jronning77
Nubbin' Buck

Smile

I got picked for that last weekend in February as well. Would definitely appreciate any advice or info that anyone is willing to share.
jronning77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #62
CenTex62
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Drew on a Pending 2nd for Feb 22-24. Had a couple close encounters last year on an Archery Laguna hunt but couldn’t close the deal. Looking forward to settling the score this time!
CenTex62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #63
bigharge
Six Point

Congrats, my brother ended up not being able to go after getting drawn, maybe you got his throwback, best of luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
bigharge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #64
3rdcoast_slope
Nubbin' Buck

Hi, I am new to the forums, I drew a rifle tag but found this site to be very helpful. I have a few questions if you dont mind? Any help would be great but I was wondering about packing out. Do you know if they let non-hunters on to help pack out? Also, is spot/stalk or ambush style work best out there? Anyone else on here draw for feb 8-10th? Thanks

Last edited by 3rdcoast_slope; 10-29-2018 at 10:30 AM.
3rdcoast_slope is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #65
txhushlife
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
Hi, I am new to the forums, I drew a rifle tag but found this site to be very helpful. I have a few questions if you dont mind? Any help would be great but I was wondering about packing out. Do you know if they let non-hunters on to help pack out? Also, is spot/stalk or ambush style work best out there? Anyone else on here draw for feb 8-10th? Thanks

I asked about someone that's not drawn if they could come along to help me out last year and they just look at is as a liability issue. The park rangers are very nice and helpful but they would rather it just be you. Call and talk to em maybe they would make an exception but i was down there last year by myself too. i would say ambush is best, a lot of roads, trails and fence lines to sit on.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #66
Jerry1025
Nubbin' Buck

I drew on feb 8-10th also and would love to get more info. From what I saw they only allow the permitted hunters out there.
Jerry1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #67
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

On your permit there will be a phone number for the local dispatch center for the Federal wardens. If you shoot a Nilgai you can call that number and ask for assistance. It's up to the wardens and they may or may not be able to make it. When my son shot his bull we called and gave our location and they came out and drove in. They helped us drag it out to the truck and then drove him out to the parking lot. Made a world of difference.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #68
MasterOfNothing
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hidalgo, Starr County

I got drawn for 12/7-12/9. I'm super excited and nervous at the same time. Anyone else get drawn for those dates?
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #69
HoustonDucks
Nubbin' Buck

Hey guys. Also new to the forum. My girlfriend and I both drew for the 2/8-2/10 rifle tag.

I'm thinking about picking up a new rifle for this hunt specifically for my girlfriend to shoot. Anyone here have any thoughts on the BAR Mark II Safari in 300 Win Mag for this hunt? I'm thinking that would be a good combo of weight, recoil, knock down power, and ease of follow up shots....

Great info on this thread! Looking forward to seeing some of you guys out there.

Last edited by HoustonDucks; 11-05-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Edited for typos
HoustonDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #70
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonDucks View Post
Hey guys. Also new to the forum. My girlfriend and I both drew for the 2/8-2/10 rifle tag.

I'm thinking about picking up a new rifle for this hunt specifically for my girlfriend to shoot. Anyone here have any thoughts on the BAR Mark II Safari in 300 Win Mag for this hunt? I'm thinking that would be a good combo of weight, recoil, knock down power, and ease of follow up shots....

Great info on this thread! Looking forward to seeing some of you guys out there.
I know nothing of this gun, but a 300 win mag is perfect for Nilgai. Shoot a good bullet like Nosler Partitions in the heaviest grain you can find.
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #71
txhushlife
Four Point

If it makes ya feel better people do take these animals with arrows! not saying go in there with a .243 but don't feel that you need the heaviest of gun to take these animals, shot placement is everything in my opinion. if you look up and study the anatomy of these animals and know where your heart shot is then that should help you out as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #72
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

How'd the first hunt go?
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #73
Jerry1025
Nubbin' Buck

This will be my first Nilgai hunt. I've tried to do some research about shot placement and have found that there's pretty much two schools of thought. 1. put it through the shoulder to hit vitals and take out a leg for running and 2. hit below their hump to try and spine them to anchor for a follow up shot. I'll be shooting a 300wm and was wondering if y'all had some personal experience with it?
Jerry1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #74
lordvader
Four Point

Not at East Lake, but have shot and killed 3 nilgai cows several years ago, like 15+ years back. Used a 3006 for all my kills using 165grain Speer grand slams I hand loaded myself. Two were one shot kills. I always aimed for the upper shoulder. I hunted East Lake last year on a shotgun/muzzle loader only hunt for deer, or nilgai if you saw them. As you can imagine, our shots had to be close. Good luck.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top