Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #1951
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Kicker3 came home yesterday! Wind got wrong for Fiddy so it may be a few days before i go back in there.. Mid week shows a great weather change. im pumped. New bucks on camera every day and known deer coming home.

Hope I see the same results soon, I had a young 9 show back up on my scrape camera last night.

Good luck and enjoy the weather change, Iíll be back working in Oklahoma already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #1952
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Weather breaks wed and thurs. Should be interesting
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #1953
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:

Get him Steve!
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #1954
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Good luck
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #1955
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Quote:

Iím hoping that weather change gets delayed until Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #1956
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

^^^ fingers crossed!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #1957
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Strong possibility Ill be up that way end of the week. Holler at me and I'll come help ya drag him out
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #1958
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm still waitin' on LDP's... Your list is getting longer, so the odds of somethin' dyin' are goin' up!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #1959
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I'm still waitin' on LDP's... Your list is getting longer, so the odds of somethin' dyin' are goin' up!!
Card pull today was a little sad. Hundreds and hundreds of pics of all the big deer but zero day pics. This includes stands that have had no hunting pressure. Weird deal. i sure hope this weather change helps with that.

Last edited by GarGuy; 10-08-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #1960
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Card pull today was a little sad. Hundreds and hundreds of all the big deer but zero day pics. This includes stands that have had no hunting pressure. Weird deal. i sure hope this weather change helps with that.

Iíve got a good feeling about this front thatís pushing in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #1961
Bad2TheBone
Four Point

Hunt In: Woods

Hope thing turn around for ya garguy
Bad2TheBone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #1962
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Card pull today was a little sad. Hundreds and hundreds of pics of all the big deer but zero day pics. This includes stands that have had no hunting pressure. Weird deal. i sure hope this weather change helps with that.
Itís just been too **** hot. Nothings moving during daylight right now. I donít even see birds when Iím in the stand.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #1963
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Itís just been too **** hot. Nothings moving during daylight right now. I donít even see birds when Iím in the stand.
I donít think it has as much to do with heat as it does acorns. I see deer in the middle of the day in July and August when itís hotter than this.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #1964
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Alot of acorns this year
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #1965
Rwc
Ten Point

Best of luck to you later this week Mr. Steve, I too are hoping this weeks wind change helps get a few bucks on there feet during day light.

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #1966
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

With the cooler weather coming and the dark phase of the moon beginning, I bet you get your chance next week, maybe even later this week... I'll be watchin' and waitin' on that text with the LDP!!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #1967
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I donít think it has as much to do with heat as it does acorns. I see deer in the middle of the day in July and August when itís hotter than this.
Man you make a good point. The acorn numbers are ridiculous. Frankly I donít think either is playing in to our favor right now though.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #1968
SouthernCamo
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos/Falls/Robertson/Webb
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Man you make a good point. The acorn numbers are ridiculous. Frankly I donít think either is playing in to our favor right now though.

I am no expert but I say do the math, we are less then 30 days from the first peak in rut cycle for Etx, therefore your 4/5/6/7 yo bucks are doing what? Taking inventory of their rut range, marking territory, and galvanizing their positions in the great heirarchy of the largely unseen and ever present social balance of the woods. If juvenile bucks are role-playing with their horns know the real performance is well underway in the woods.

Simultaneously bow hunters are entering the woods and gun hunters begin to increase their presence either scouting or making last minute preparations to their blinds and feeders, regardless there are an exponentially greater number of two leg predators in the woods now vs July/August. While I appreciate that accorns are dropping I contend that the combination of pressure increasing and the pre-rut biological demands on the bucks in 90 degree plus weather pushes them to increase night activity out of necessity and energy conservation.

The last relevant factor in my mind is the lunar phase, anyone notice when the two majors were today? I attached it. I could careless about minors and the second major was in the middle of the day, in my opinion everything suggest ETX deer movement should be taking place at night right now.

Just my opinion, I hope we are all pleasantly surprised by encounters with mature bucks in the coming days as the cooler weather hits.

SouthernCamo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #1969
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Justin,, I have noted everything you posted.. Great info there. The moon phase improves significantly in the coming week. I plan to hunt the next two days because the wind will be perfect and I wont doo any harm. Who knows, the changing weather could get him to roll in just once. thats all I need..
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #1970
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamo View Post
I am no expert but I say do the math, we are less then 30 days from the first peak in rut cycle for Etx, therefore your 4/5/6/7 yo bucks are doing what? Taking inventory of their rut range, marking territory, and galvanizing their positions in the great heirarchy of the largely unseen and ever present social balance of the woods. If juvenile bucks are role-playing with their horns know the real performance is well underway in the woods.

Simultaneously bow hunters are entering the woods and gun hunters begin to increase their presence either scouting or making last minute preparations to their blinds and feeders, regardless there are an exponentially greater number of two leg predators in the woods now vs July/August. While I appreciate that accorns are dropping I contend that the combination of pressure increasing and the pre-rut biological demands on the bucks in 90 degree plus weather pushes them to increase night activity out of necessity and energy conservation.

The last relevant factor in my mind is the lunar phase, anyone notice when the two majors were today? I attached it. I could careless about minors and the second major was in the middle of the day, in my opinion everything suggest ETX deer movement should be taking place at night right now.

Just my opinion, I hope we are all pleasantly surprised by encounters with mature bucks in the coming days as the cooler weather hits.

Where are you finding this peak info from? Iíd like to use it myself for my NF adventures.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #1971
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

That's the iSolunar app... My favorite app for this kind of info...
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #1972
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:

Thank you sir. Just got it.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #1973
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Do you guys really believe in moon phases? I mentioned it in another thread about hunting all day, I run cameras pretty much all year and have very few pictures of deer between about 1030am-230pm. I can't even remember if I've ever had a mature buck on cam in the middle of the day, ever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #1974
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Do you guys really believe in moon phases? I mentioned it in another thread about hunting all day, I run cameras pretty much all year and have very few pictures of deer between about 1030am-230pm. I can't even remember if I've ever had a mature buck on cam in the middle of the day, ever.

Iíve never really went based off of moon phases but Iíve seen plenty of big mature bucks on their feet in the middle of the day. The majority of them were in Junction, but figured Iíd throw my anecdote in lol.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #1975
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

I know down in Liberty county the bucks went nocturnal 2 weeks ago. Does will still creap in about 30 minutes before dark sometimes. This is with no pressure on them at all. Not a tree or shrub in the yard that hasn't been shredded during the night time hours. Down where I corn it is surrounded by scrapes and that old familiar smell of mature bucks. This coming weekends cool snap will send them over the edge. The lease I used to be on a few miles from the house the best time to hunt was always 2nd and 3rd week of October and most mature buck activity was mid day when hunting during this time. It was not uncommon to see 15-20 bucks per hunt with multiple chases. By the 1st week of rifle season(when most people would think peak rut is) deer activity would fall off and you would see the occasional nice buck chasing a doe but buck numbers would fall off to 3-5 bucks per hunt.

Since I have been living at my current location for 6 years I have been able to watch and study deer pretty closely. Some of my data has been from daytime visuals and other data using night time optics. 1st cycle of rut mid October, 2nd cycle is around rifle opener, 3rd for the does not bred and yearlings around thanksgiving. I believe this is due to the daylight hours getting shorter not by the moon phase. Also a lot of the breeding activity happens at night however the buck will stay locked down to the doe for approximately 48 hours. December bucks not shot start coming back home looking for groceries. Also got to witness first hand on many occasions GarGuys corner effect, and the numbers of deer that you are unaware of that get up and reposition during a change in wind direction is awesome to see.

So the next 10 days it would pay to be sitting in a tree stand watching over scrapelines and high doe density areas.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #1976
SouthernCamo
Four Point

Quote:
Justin,, I have noted everything you posted.. Great info there. The moon phase improves significantly in the coming week. I plan to hunt the next two days because the wind will be perfect and I wont doo any harm. Who knows, the changing weather could get him to roll in just once. thats all I need..

Ha Steve you know I am taking notes not giving them when it comes to you and EastTx bucks!

Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #1977
SouthernCamo
Four Point

Quote:

Its just one of many variables that can influence behavior, and something to take into consideration when trying to understand changes in pattern. I can say that when the weather conditions support daytime activity I have personally observed activity that would support lunar influenced timing.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #1978
J Wales
Six Point

Hunt In: Taylor County

Quote:

To me, the most telling thing about that graph is not that the deer move most at sunrise and sunset...but that they still move quite alot the rest of the day. Per the chart, they are moving around 125-150 meters per hour at 6 am and 6 pm, but they are still moving almost 50 meters per hour in the middle of the day. As Garguy has said previously in this thread...there is no such thing as a nocturnal deer...they are somewhere during the day.
J Wales is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #1979
SouthernCamo
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
I know down in Liberty county the bucks went nocturnal 2 weeks ago. Does will still creap in about 30 minutes before dark sometimes. This is with no pressure on them at all. Not a tree or shrub in the yard that hasn't been shredded during the night time hours. Down where I corn it is surrounded by scrapes and that old familiar smell of mature bucks. This coming weekends cool snap will send them over the edge. The lease I used to be on a few miles from the house the best time to hunt was always 2nd and 3rd week of October and most mature buck activity was mid day when hunting during this time. It was not uncommon to see 15-20 bucks per hunt with multiple chases. By the 1st week of rifle season(when most people would think peak rut is) deer activity would fall off and you would see the occasional nice buck chasing a doe but buck numbers would fall off to 3-5 bucks per hunt.

Since I have been living at my current location for 6 years I have been able to watch and study deer pretty closely. Some of my data has been from daytime visuals and other data using night time optics. 1st cycle of rut mid October, 2nd cycle is around rifle opener, 3rd for the does not bred and yearlings around thanksgiving. I believe this is due to the daylight hours getting shorter not by the moon phase. Also a lot of the breeding activity happens at night however the buck will stay locked down to the doe for approximately 48 hours. December bucks not shot start coming back home looking for groceries. Also got to witness first hand on many occasions GarGuys corner effect, and the numbers of deer that you are unaware of that get up and reposition during a change in wind direction is awesome to see.

So the next 10 days it would pay to be sitting in a tree stand watching over scrapelines and high doe density areas.

You nailed it, the rut is defined by the females going into estrus, the rut doesn't move year to year, the observation of rut behavior is what changes year to year.

Man the stuff we think of to rationalize deer behavior is amazing...I say Fiddy is a dead deer walking I give him 3 to 5 days tops to share his genetics one last time then Steve is gonna put hands on those chocolate horns!

Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #1980
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:

I do. Iíve hunted a good bit with lunar calendars and time zones in mind. Iíve seen lots of big bucks in person and on camera on those late morning or midday sits as well as on camera. Most of the time these deer are cruising or on a doe vs feeding on hand corn or in an oat patch.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #1981
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
What's a good Android app

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #1982
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Are we gonna get a live hunt this eve?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #1983
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Are we gonna get a live hunt this eve?

Unfortunately, I think those days are over due to a very small handful of haters. Some of which use multiple accounts to help spread the bs/whiffs.

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #1984
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Unfortunately, I think those days are over due to a very small handful of haters. Some of which use multiple accounts to help spread the bs/whiffs.

Huh?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #1985
ethic1
Six Point

I never seen the haters but their nuts if they say so.

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #1986
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Can't wait to see this bad boy on the tailgate!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #1987
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Can't wait to see this bad boy on the tailgate!

When that happens those haters are gonna get slapped upside the head.

I first saw fiddy last year. Seen him again this year. To say hes a heck of a deer is an understatement. I applaud GG for doing what he does for those bucks and the few people that listen to his words.

The rest, well that can jump off a ****** cliff. This deer is legit!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #1988
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
When that happens those haters are gonna get slapped upside the head.

I first saw fiddy last year. Seen him again this year. To say hes a heck of a deer is an understatement. I applaud GG for doing what he does for those bucks and the few people that listen to his words.

The rest, well that can jump off a ****** cliff. This deer is legit!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Amen! You know your doing it right when you got grown *** men acting like school girls.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #1989
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Beat of luck Steve. In for the story and pics whenever you seal the deal!

TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #1990
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethic1 View Post
I never seen the haters but their nuts if they say so.

Itís real
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #1991
monsterspike
Eight Point

ive only followed this thread. ive seen no hate. maybe 40 pages and 25k views is not a big enough sample size? whats to hate anyway? ive seen nothing that struck me as more than a talking shop type documentary.

i received a strong rebuke for saying ill be mad if fiddy makes it another year, but truthfully, i dont give a rip who wins. im a fan of fiddy. i think he is special and formidable.

would this guy even be in garguys top 5 bucks?
monsterspike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #1992
cram369
Four Point

GG vs Fiddy is my weekly TV show. Pulling for GG, but good either way. That's hunting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
cram369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #1993
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

This weather has me stomping around rubbing my head on everything in sight, so hopefully Fiddy will make a mistake soon ready to see the bruiser
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #1994
woodsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post
ive only followed this thread. ive seen no hate. maybe 40 pages and 25k views is not a big enough sample size? whats to hate anyway? ive seen nothing that struck me as more than a talking shop type documentary.
This thread was cleaned up significantly by moderators a couple years ago when the worst of it happened. And GG turned the other cheek so you wouldn’t know it if you didn’t see it go down.

Rooting from the sidelines Steve, we’re creeping ever closer to that magical time.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #1995
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Bad wind for Steve this mornin'...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #1996
sweldo73
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine / Sabine Counties

Quote:
Bad wind for Steve this mornin'...
Me too, but I'm thinkin' it's just something I ate last night.
sweldo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #1997
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Beer n boiled eggs???
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #1998
sweldo73
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine / Sabine Counties

Quote:
Beer n boiled eggs???
Fried shrimp, mac-n-cheese, bourbon, then scotch.
sweldo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #1999
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post

would this guy even be in garguys top 5 bucks?
If i could kill him he might well be my best buck ever. He is 8.5 this year. I need to get him this time. Maybe he will slip up.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #2000
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

comment 2001
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top