Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
zac221
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and Burnet county
Default Leupold rangefinder disappointment

I bought a Leupold 1000 tbr DNA a few years ago, probably about 4-5. Toward the end of season last year I noticed the display wasnít full. I figured low battery. I changed battery out a month or so ago and got same reading. Barely enough to see half the display. I sent it to Leupold and got a response asking to contact them. Called yesterday and guy told me the unit is clearly malfunctioning and out of warranty, only has a two year warranty. Offered a 60% discount on a new unit, which the next comparable wouldíve been $240 something. Told him I was going to buy a vortex since their warranty wouldíve covered it. He said is there anything else I can do, Iíll get this one sent back to you.

Pretty disappointed as I bought that and used it for LE purposes and no longer with previous agency so it was strictly hunting last year. Anyway, wanted to vent and maybe heed some folks to stay clear of Leupold electronics since their warranty is only two years. A buddy on my PD unit had an old Leupold range finder go out and he sent it in. They replaced it no questions asked it was nearly 5-6 years old then and this was 2 years ago.
zac221 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

They replaced my 1200 no questions asked and It was well over two years old. Wonder if they have changed their policy on electronics.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
zac221
Eight Point

Must have I guess. I was/am pretty upset over it.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

I would ask to speak with another representative of the company. My buddy just last week had his 1000 replaced. He only had to pay shipping. It was over 3 years old. Good luck.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
splitbeam145
Ten Point

I'm in same boat. But I've gotten my money worth out of the 1000TBR RF. They offered the 1600TBR model for $208 plus tax. It's just a new and improved version with longer ranging capabilities and hopefully better components. I'm going that route.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
I would ask to speak with another representative of the company. My buddy just last week had his 1000 replaced. He only had to pay shipping. It was over 3 years old. Good luck.
Did he get it replaced with same model or upgraded model?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
zac221
Eight Point

Iíll give it a shot. I donít want to buy another only to have same problem in another 3-4 years.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I had a old range finder I can’t remember which one, but I sent it in to get fixed and they replaced it with a new model no question asked.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I have the same one going on 4 years now haven’t had an issue yet.. my buddy had a brand new vortex and we were playing with it, it said 32 yards and I called bs, we pulled a tape on it and it was 24.. there was another range finder everyone was going crazy over but I can’t remember the name.. i think it was in the 300+ dollar amount..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Hard to bash a true American company for stating they have a 2 year warranty on their electronic products, but they still offer you a 60% discount even though the product that malfunctioned is out of warranty.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
rocky
Pope & Young

Let me mate sure I understand. Unit lasted through warranty, but since you were LE, you think they should accommodate you and warranty unit?
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #12
zac221
Eight Point

Atleast you got part right. My rangefinder went out. Just like the guy venting about his trucks transmission going out a month after the five year; I’m venting my disappointment. The reason I mentioned anything about LE was because I used it exclusively for work for the first several years as did my partner. We had different results on warranty and obviously some others have had issues but they were taken care of and mine wasn’t.

Also, leupold website states military and LE warranty supersedes. Which I took as they would take care of it, guess that means military and LE don’t get any warranty?

I was surprised they offered 60% off. Just figured I’d go with vortex since their warranty is great and a little more affordable. I don’t have to re-purchase something, especially if I’m unsatisfied. I hadn’t read anything bad on them until today.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbeam145 View Post
Did he get it replaced with same model or upgraded model?
Upgraded. His new one is the 1200.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
Upgraded. His new one is the 1200.
ok. I wouldn't have done that cause the LED display is black on the 1200 model instead of the red LED like the 1000 and 1600. Black doesn't work well in dark
Old 10-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #15
The Chadillac
Spike

Man was hoping to hear better things about this.
The Chadillac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
TexasAg91
Four Point

Hunt In: Yancey,Glenrose.

Bummer dude. Leupold has repaired or replaced 8 scopes for me so far. No problems with big L.
TexasAg91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

They replaced mine for the same reason last year. The new one came with info that said their warranty was no longer a lifetime warranty and it would only be covered for 2 years.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #18
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Read through all this and just hope you get to the right person at Leupold. Seems like they are just not consistent and that is disappointing.

I get it they only warrantied for 2 years, but knowing that others can call in and get a replacement at no cost to them is frustrating. The offer for a newer unit at 60% sounds like a generous offer, but not when you hear stories of others out of warranty getting a replacement at no cost.

Going with Vortex is probably the best thing you can do if they won't take care of you.

Goodluck
hopedale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #19
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Hard to believe they didn’t replace it with an updated new model. Have a buddy that just 2 months ago sent in their very first rangefinder from 20 years ago and they replaced it with a new rx-2800 tbr no questions asked.

I will never use any other optic brand myself. Had to use their warranty several times for different things and never had a problem or complaint.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
saltwater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county. Quanah

Well disappointed here too, same thing. Fading display, no warranty and a 60%off coupon: I’m ordering a vortex.
saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top