Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #51
Hunteraudit
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties
Default

I have 3 doe, 2 bucks and a couple aoudad on cam. All at night except for aoudad. Only a pig killed out there so far last I knew. Very surprising.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #52
Steven_Hunts
Nubbin' Buck
 
Steven_Hunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Can not afford TX hunting
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
I have 3 doe, 2 bucks and a couple aoudad on cam. All at night except for aoudad. Only a pig killed out there so far last I knew. Very surprising.
Yea, guy at ORC for check in/out said people have been hunting only one pig and 1 turkey as of yesterday. Im not sure I will participate next year out there. If anyone wants a new Moultrie twistlock feeder and Miultrue A30 cam I would sell them right now and write that place off. Also he told me the 2B area is about to be closed until mid December, sucks for the 7 people who spent all that money and were placed in that area.
Steven_Hunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #53
Jimbo47
Six Point
 
Jimbo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Default

Hunting at Bullis usually always starts off slow, and that has been the case most all the years I hunted there, and some spots are better than others, and just sticking a feeder out there isn't going to be instant success. It's not your typical hill country ranch.
Other factors besides training are the acorns and recent rains where the deer are just not moving, and checking feeders because they don't have to, they just have too much to eat a short distance from where they bed down.
There were some years out there that I had to turn off my feeder and the corn sprouted under the feeder, but that was before the hogs got a foothold.
As the weather gets colder, and the acorns rot on the ground, the corn feeders will once again get hit hard, but if anyone pays attention to the harvest log, you will see that the success rate increases as the season progresses.
I've said before, hunting Camp Bullis isn't easy, and you have to be able to brush off the fact that you can be shut out for weeks from your area due to training.
As for the cost, I don't think you can find a day lease anywhere for the price they charge for an entire season, even if it's just for a few weekends, you've still come out ahead.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #54
Hunteraudit
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Hunting at Bullis usually always starts off slow, and that has been the case most all the years I hunted there, and some spots are better than others, and just sticking a feeder out there isn't going to be instant success. It's not your typical hill country ranch.
Other factors besides training are the acorns and recent rains where the deer are just not moving, and checking feeders because they don't have to, they just have too much to eat a short distance from where they bed down.
There were some years out there that I had to turn off my feeder and the corn sprouted under the feeder, but that was before the hogs got a foothold.
As the weather gets colder, and the acorns rot on the ground, the corn feeders will once again get hit hard, but if anyone pays attention to the harvest log, you will see that the success rate increases as the season progresses.
I've said before, hunting Camp Bullis isn't easy, and you have to be able to brush off the fact that you can be shut out for weeks from your area due to training.
As for the cost, I don't think you can find a day lease anywhere for the price they charge for an entire season, even if it's just for a few weekends, you've still come out ahead.
Completely agree with this. The acorns are thick and grass is green. Itís also been hot as balls the last couple weeks. None of this is optimal for making deer move around. Agree, getting shut out until mid December would be disheartening if u put in a bunch of work hauling stuff out there, setting up and scouting. But for their $50 charge and a 20 min drive from my house.... Iíll put in that kind of work and wont complain even if I only get a few weekends of hunting out of it.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #55
antpant101
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Is Bullis open to public to enter lottery?
antpant101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #56
robhags
Nubbin' Buck
 
robhags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

Hunteraudit, what area are the aoudad in?
robhags is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #57
Hunteraudit
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhags View Post
Hunteraudit, what area are the aoudad in?

A friend points out I shouldn’t post that online to avoid having people trampling through my archery circle.

Last edited by Hunteraudit; 10-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #58
Hunteraudit
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antpant101 View Post
Is Bullis open to public to enter lottery?
Public access is restricted on JBSA for security, antiterrorism, and force protection purposes. It has been determined that the possession of weapons on the installation by members of the public (except law enforcement personnel) presents a risk to military safety and security on JBSA. Per Table 7-2 of the JBSA Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan the following are eligible for hunting at JBSA:
1) Active Duty Military personnel
2) DoD civilians
3) Active Duty Military Dependents and Family Members with DoD ID 4) Military Retirees with DoD ID
5) DoD Civilian Retirees with DoD ID
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #59
Johnny44
Six Point
 
Johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas
Default

Got this fella with one go at it in 1C

Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #60
antpant101
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Public access is restricted on JBSA for security, antiterrorism, and force protection purposes. It has been determined that the possession of weapons on the installation by members of the public (except law enforcement personnel) presents a risk to military safety and security on JBSA. Per Table 7-2 of the JBSA Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan the following are eligible for hunting at JBSA:
1) Active Duty Military personnel
2) DoD civilians
3) Active Duty Military Dependents and Family Members with DoD ID 4) Military Retirees with DoD ID
5) DoD Civilian Retirees with DoD ID
Thank you!
antpant101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #61
Jimbo47
Six Point
 
Jimbo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Default

Thank you to the scum bag OBL. (Sarcastic thank you)
He flipped the script on everyone, and everything, especially the military bases.
It was a much user friendly and fun place to hunt back then! Those who were around prior know what I'm talking about.
Any member even DOD civilians could sponsor civilians back then. Lot more area open for hunting as well.

Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #62
Jimbo47
Six Point
 
Jimbo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Default

Club Med!
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #63
Johnny44
Six Point
 
Johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Club Med!


Thats insulting as hell given the main requirements to the “club” being a soldier, child of a soldier, or spouse of a soldier.






Last edited by Johnny44; 10-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #64
Hunteraudit
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Bexar & Houston Counties
Default

Some aoudad photos actually from bullis...

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=708062
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #65
Jimbo47
Six Point
 
Jimbo47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Default

Club Med....Inside joke, but if it offends then I apologize. I served in 2 tours in Vietnam so I know the sacrifice more than most!
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #66
Johnny44
Six Point
 
Johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas
Default

My ONLY two objectives by posting is to poke a little fun at a few good guys who need to take life a little more light heartedly and to discourage those eligible for OUR “club” to stop posting our (military base) laundry.

I personally don’t think we should post ANYTHING concerning our “Club” Opportunities around the country.

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-09-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com