Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF and Centerville
Default Drawn for Elephant Mountain

After many years of putting in i was drawn for Elephant Mountain October 15-18th.

I am planning on camping onsite, does anyone know do they have showers and bathrooms onsite or is it just a spot of ground?

Also any advice on being the most productive with my hunting time there will be greatly appreciated
Italianxbowuser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
fisher__man
Eight Point

No showers, they do have water you can get there. Don’t know if you can drink it.
As far as advice. Get to a higher glassing spot where you can see a good amount of property. Find a deer and go stalk it. They will bed down pretty quick in the morning. Depending on which unit you get, driving and glassing could work but getting higher will let you see better. Don’t be afraid to be pretty aggressive on you stalking. It’s such a short hunt, there really is not enough time to sit back and wait. It’s a fun hunt with some pretty nice deer.
fisher__man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher__man View Post
No showers, they do have water you can get there. Donít know if you can drink it.
As far as advice. Get to a higher glassing spot where you can see a good amount of property. Find a deer and go stalk it. They will bed down pretty quick in the morning. Depending on which unit you get, driving and glassing could work but getting higher will let you see better. Donít be afraid to be pretty aggressive on you stalking. Itís such a short hunt, there really is not enough time to sit back and wait. Itís a fun hunt with some pretty nice deer.
X2
Iíve been out there quite a bit chasing javelina. There are many deer on this WMA, whitetail and mule deer both. Iíve even seen some pretty good whitetail while out there. You shouldnít have a problem finding deer, just keep looking until you find a good one.
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Thanks fisher, do they have toilets or and a sink?

Puncher, I'm not afraid to shoot a javelina if i see one. Shot one a few years ago, and i found it to be quite tasty.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
Thanks fisher, do they have toilets or and a sink?

Puncher, I'm not afraid to shoot a javelina if i see one. Shot one a few years ago, and i found it to be quite tasty.
They have a composting toilet. No sink. They do have a walk in cooler and water to wash off animals though. Just bring in your drinking water.
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

I think the spot and stalk is best, but they also have several concrete water troughs scattered on the wma. I had muley does come to othe one I sat on but could only shot bucks when we hunted there.

I liked the area behind the mountain; east side I believe. It had a brushy draw running through it and the deer used it alot. They would not let us go up the slope of the mountain because of the bighorn sheep program when we were there. Saw several nice muley bucks just could not close the deal on spot and stalk.

We saw more whitetails behind the camp ground along the river by the old orchard.

I have put in to go back every year. Congrats beautiful country. We also had to go through a border patrol check point on the fm road out of Alpine to get to the wma.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Thanks Killer for the info.

I am also checking out staying in alpine over camping....but i think moneywise i'm going to end up in my tent
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Texas5o
Ten Point

Hunt In: Haskell County

I also got drawn for this hunt after quite a few years of applying. I’m stoked. I was thinking I would bring a tent and camp, but after reading this I may bring the motor home or get a motel room in Alpine. I have to be able to shower every once in a while. I’ve never bow hunted mulies and am excited at having this opportunity.
Texas5o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
Eberle
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lower 48!

My nephew was drawn on a youth hunt there about 8 years ago. We stayed in Alpine. Hunted the East side, they also restricted us from going to top of mountain due to the bighorn sheep. They told us we could go up 2/3 of the way. Great hunt, lots of deer. Good luck & congrats on drawing the tag!
Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
moondog
Spike

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

Quote:
Thanks Killer for the info.

I am also checking out staying in alpine over camping....but i think moneywise i'm going to end up in my tent
The camp area is comfortable. There is a covered table and flat/smooth tent site area. Besides, to me its part of the whole experience. And, I don't want to drive 45 minutes each way into town. See enough "town" 360 days a year.
A kettle on the Coleman Stove = hot shower.
Water is available at the office area (5 minutes away).
Can't wait to get back there.
Attached Images

moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The camp area is comfortable. There is a covered table and flat/smooth tent site area. Besides, to me its part of the whole experience. And, I don't want to drive 45 minutes each way into town. See enough "town" 360 days a year.
A kettle on the Coleman Stove = hot shower.
Water is available at the office area (5 minutes away).
Can't wait to get back there.
Pictures really help with visualizing the camp area. Great looking buck too
Old 08-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Man thats such a cool area. Good luck. If you're wantig showers just to get rid of stink, one thing you can do to camp and deal with that is vring rubbing alcohol or other bacteria killing subtance ( cant remember the medical stuff that starts with a b) and some baking soda. Wash down with with the rubbing alcohol to kill bacteria that makes your scent, then some baking powder for help killing that bacteria. Nothing magical but helps keep clean while trying to camp on light supplies.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
moondog
Spike

The slopes can be very steep, with lots of loose rocks. Use caution!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The slopes can be very steep, with lots of loose rocks. Use caution!
I've been thinking a lot about my footwear, I've read some other posts about rattlesnakes being prevalent, but my snake boots are far from my best climbing boots.....

Last edited by Italianxbowuser; 08-29-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
I've been thinking a lot about my footwear, I've read some other posts about rattlesnakes being prevalent, but my snake boots are far from my best climbing boots.....

When we hunted near Alpine last year, our guide wore Chippewa snake boots, and he slid around a lot. As mentioned, it's very steep iandthe ground is covered with marble size rocks. I bought a pair of un insulated Danner Pronghorns, and I had much better footing. I love the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
When we hunted near Alpine last year, our guide wore Chippewa snake boots, and he slid around a lot. As mentioned, it's very steep iandthe ground is covered with marble size rocks. I bought a pair of un insulated Danner Pronghorns, and I had much better footing. I love the boots.

I have the same boots from Danner and they are the ones i am thinking about bringing, they have served me well elk hunting...but the other side of me wonders why your guide would give up the better footing in exchange for snake protection
Old 08-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
moondog
Spike

Quote:
I have the same boots from Danner and they are the ones i am thinking about bringing, they have served me well elk hunting...but the other side of me wonders why your guide would give up the better footing in exchange for snake protection
For myself I believe I would opt for the surer footing, and just keep an eye out for the snakes. I did not have to be concerned about snakes when I hunted there, this past winter, however, I found the steep terrain a bit intimidating.
I am not as young and agile as I once was. The photo of the deer I posted earlier shows the "steep" terrain, and it took me 6+ hours to get him off the mountain. Busted my @ss more than once in the process.
Certainly not complaining, only explaining. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Man you luck dog. No need for snake boots in October, they will not be on the move.

Best of luck.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

One week away. For those of you that have been there, what are your thoughts on bringing a game cart? Is the terrain suitable to make this worthwhile or should i just leave it at home?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

I would think leave at home. Good Luck, pot pics.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County
Default Drawn for Elephant Mountain

I camped out there for a night prior to a hunt at DMSP. Pretty nice campsites, though nothing fancy. Great view of the mountain from camp. Saw quite a few deer. Can you shot Javis too? Bunch of them. Look for sheep too. Cool to see them in Texas.

Last edited by JustinJ; 10-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #22
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Thanks guys. Permit says one Javi and either Mule deer with an 18" spread or one side two points...or any whitetail buck. I will be focused soley on mule deer as it's one or the other....but if the hunts running out, i will take a javi if available.

I hunted Davis mountain state park for Javelinas years ago....they were everywhere and aggressive in the campground but i couldn't find any in the hunt area
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Headed out today weather is looking like rain the whole time with near freezing temperatures going to be tough

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Good luck!
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #25
moondog
Spike

In my case the cart would have useless. Hope you have a great and successful hunt.
Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #27
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
They make Danner Pronghorn snake boots. I own two pair.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
hogman$
Six Point

Hunt In: West texas

How did the hunt go ? Thought about going as a standby but the weather kept me home

hogman$ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #29
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman$ View Post
How did the hunt go ? Thought about going as a standby but the weather kept me home

Weather was a challenge, but the heavy rain mostly avoided the WMA. The closest cities to guess the weather by are either Marathon or Alpine. Even though these areas saw a lot of rain the WMA didn't. There was a standby position open that did not get filled(guy cancelled due to weather)

Temps hung around in the 30s and 40s with a strong north wind most days. Some of the compartments were seeing deer regularly and others were not. I only saw deer in my compartment on the last day, the guy i partnered with only saw limited deer as well. The two other compartments, saw deer regularly, and attempted a few stalks but no arrows were flung. Although from the pictures it looks grassy, it actually all loose rocks and stones in various sizes with grass growing between them. Walking was challenging, and walking quietly was very difficult.

Although, the cold, rain and wind was not pleasant, i feel for the guys who have to hunt and climb that mountain in hot weather. The WMA guys said they had seen a high number of rattlers this year, but due to the cold none were seen on this hunt
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
hogman$
Six Point

Hunt In: West texas

Quote:
Weather was a challenge, but the heavy rain mostly avoided the WMA. The closest cities to guess the weather by are either Marathon or Alpine. Even though these areas saw a lot of rain the WMA didn't. There was a standby position open that did not get filled(guy cancelled due to weather)

Temps hung around in the 30s and 40s with a strong north wind most days. Some of the compartments were seeing deer regularly and others were not. I only saw deer in my compartment on the last day, the guy i partnered with only saw limited deer as well. The two other compartments, saw deer regularly, and attempted a few stalks but no arrows were flung. Although from the pictures it looks grassy, it actually all loose rocks and stones in various sizes with grass growing between them. Walking was challenging, and walking quietly was very difficult.

Although, the cold, rain and wind was not pleasant, i feel for the guys who have to hunt and climb that mountain in hot weather. The WMA guys said they had seen a high number of rattlers this year, but due to the cold none were seen on this hunt
dang sounds like a good time ill have to go next time good or bad weather
hogman$ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
Texas5o
Ten Point

Hunt In: Haskell County

To add a little to Paul’s post above: Neither Paul nor I hunted the last morning. Maybe we should have because one of the guys did harvest a very nice Muley on that last morning.
As Paul stated it was cold, wet and miserable, but I would do it again in a minute. I saw a total of 8 deer on the trip, 5 bucks and 3 does. 3 of the bucks were shooter bucks but I either couldn’t get close enough or I got too close and jumped him out of his bed. Saw several javelina the last day I hunted but it was early morning and my mule deer hunting took priority. I didn’t want to interrupt it to haul a Javi back to camp.
The high wind had the deer laid up for the most part so they were hard to find.
Hope I get a chance to do this hunt again before I get to old to climb up and down that mountain.
Texas5o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #32
ScottFW
Nubbin' Buck

Default Roads

Is 4wd a requirement out there? We're headed there for the youth rifle hunt 11/23-11/25 and it looks like it should be dry.
ScottFW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #33
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Not if it's dry, it rained pretty good while I was there, and I never used mine. I did, however; have one of the closer compartments to camp

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #34
ScottFW
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the info. If we're lucky next week I'll have some grip and grin pics to post.
ScottFW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top