Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #51
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Hunt In: TX Panhandle

I hunt alone with the exception of my wife or children. Most guys I know "hunt" to drink beer, blaring music and hang around a fire until a drunken stupper in their camo. 5 AM rolls around and they are hungover and wont get up. They may put in an evening hunt only to hurry back to camp to drink some more. They want a trophy but don't want to put in the work. There is also the added strings of who sets the agenda and so forth. I go alone and am much happier that way. I set my own schedule and do what I think is right. Also don't want to be waiting around for someone who is always late. I lease my land exclusively now and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm done with the deer camp social clubs.
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #52
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Primarily Public lands/& private Honey Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
I hunt alone with the exception of my wife or children. Most guys I know "hunt" to drink beer, blaring music and hang around a fire until a drunken stupper in their camo. 5 AM rolls around and they are hungover and wont get up. They may put in an evening hunt only to hurry back to camp to drink some more. They want a trophy but don't want to put in the work. There is also the added strings of who sets the agenda and so forth. I go alone and am much happier that way. I set my own schedule and do what I think is right. Also don't want to be waiting around for someone who is always late. I lease my land exclusively now and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm done with the deer camp social clubs.
And im done helping Dapper Di** Heads. looks ike ill be helping the Doeminator kill his first buck this season and haoppy to help him hes someone that puts in a real effort amd doesnt moooch of my efforts.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
ArcheryAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #53
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

I smelled a rat the first time I read that last year.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #54
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
I smelled a rat the first time I read that last year.
Yes sir. Live and learn on this end. Ill be way more selective about people that reach out to me for info or help.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #55
11B
Four Point

Hunt In: Lamar County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
I totally understand and that is Exactly what i did. This guy took it upon himself to access a stamd he wasnt shown but knew the location of via sharing a pin on google maps. My other friends had the same info . I always let friends know where im at for safety reasons. Some people are just users though.

Definitely users out there and Im sorry you got burned by one. It makes it a lot harder to trust people. Their is definitely some good people out there, I just feel like they keep more to themselves nowadays because theyve been burned too many times. I hope you dont get burned again and I hope you have great luck this year
11B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #56
cfortner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voss

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
You tell one guy about a spot, he tells another, and it grows from there. It's bad with deer but much worse with duck.

I keep telling people about my spot but I haven't seen anyone there yet, hoping to meet some TBH'ers there one day. Best crappie and duck hole I have found and always see good deer on the walk in. 36.644943, 100.081284 are the coordinates
Never speak of The Q by name!
cfortner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #57
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B View Post
Definitely users out there and Im sorry you got burned by one. It makes it a lot harder to trust people. Their is definitely some good people out there, I just feel like they keep more to themselves nowadays because theyve been burned too many times. I hope you dont get burned again and I hope you have great luck this year
I will continue to help others i always have. It's our obligation to pass it on i believe. I will just adjust the friendships i have had as ive already done.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #58
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch View Post
Wasn't there a decently long/dramatic thread about this buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes there was and it was a bunch of BS lies. Glad i could be mooched off of though. Beware of Dappers is all i will say

Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #59
moondog
Spike

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
No good deed goes unpunished. You should consider buying or leasing. Avoid most of that public land nonsense
I have considered that......MANY TIMES!
But every time I tried to make that work, The SOB's wanted money!
Not many of us can travel that road. It must be nice!
So I'm posting on the PUBLIC HUNTING forum. Just sayin'.
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #60
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Ill take my sons hunting in my spots but that's about it. I work hard for every animal and don't want to invite pressure to make me have to work harder.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #61
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I have hunted with my BIL a lot over the last 30 years. He and I put in for draw hunts together and got pulled for three this year. Last year we didn't have leases and didn't get drawn and I hunted on his family land with him. I normally don't hunt with non-family.

I have introduced my daughter's boyfriend to hunting and hopefully next year we will have a chance to do the H Hog hunt again.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #62
Eberle
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lower 48!

I hunt with my Dad & kids mainly. My oldest son is 12 and hunts with me more than anyone we have a great time. He & I are headed to Kansas this weekend to hunt doves.
Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #63
NxSTexan
Six Point

Sounds like the moral of the thread is...dude's are d@#$s when it comes to deer. There is no code anymore and that's unfortunate.
I like the work. That's the therapy for me and why I started this Public land hunting in the worst state for it. When I come up on a harvest, I'll know I earned it. And if you help me in some small way, know it's equity you can cash in, on call. Just words on a page, I know. But if we cross paths, you'll see.
Thank you all for the willingness to post openly about any and everything on TBH. I've learned tons just reading. I already owe ya'll.
NxSTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #64
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
Sounds like the moral of the thread is...dude's are d@#$s when it comes to deer. There is no code anymore and that's unfortunate.
I like the work. That's the therapy for me and why I started this Public land hunting in the worst state for it. When I come up on a harvest, I'll know I earned it. And if you help me in some small way, know it's equity you can cash in, on call. Just words on a page, I know. But if we cross paths, you'll see.
Thank you all for the willingness to post openly about any and everything on TBH. I've learned tons just reading. I already owe ya'll.
Ya. You think you are helping someone then they screw you over and it's a waste of time. I'm just gonna let all the wannabees figure it out on their own after I help my boy the Doeminator score his first set of horns with his bow this season. I'll be hunting for me and my Daughter basically from now on. And I'm gonna kick the sh** out of some mother ******* if I catch them in my stand again.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #65
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Over the years Iíve become picky about who Iíll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt. I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me itís a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes itís borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and Iíve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasnít just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. Iíve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadnít poured into me, it wouldíve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer Iíve taken may well be deer that my buddyís would have had a chance at but Iíll never really know. Thatís the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, thereís no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. Thereís really only two things you can do in that situation, and itís forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isnít reconciliation. And it doesnít mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, Godís word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

Iíve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didnít wanna do it. Thatís fine. They found out itís not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes Iím successful and he isnít. But I know that isnít right. I know itís my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... itís just a deer.

A hundred years from now Iím gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once Iím buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said ďThere are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and peopleĒ. Iím not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with Godís help Iím sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once youíre gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort. And it helps the sport ultimately if all of us decide to help in some way. Iím not saying give away spots and hand folks a deer. But early on we all need a little encouragement, especially hunting public. Youíve helped a lotta hunters over the years I know for a fact.

I know because Iím one of em Todd!

Just be wise in who you decide to actually spare specifics with!
There is a lot of good info in the paragraphs above!!

I have learned over the years it is just as important to me who I go hunting with as it is where and how successful. You can help people, but until you know them as friends or hunting buddies I am only going to give them basic advise. Then if they show me they deserve more from their input, help and desire I bring them into my inter circle of the Focker's!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #66
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
There is a lot of good info in the paragraphs above!!

I have learned over the years it is just as important to me who I go hunting with as it is where and how successful. You can help people, but until you know them as friends or hunting buddies I am only going to give them basic advise. Then if they show me they deserve more from their input, help and desire I bring them into my inter circle of the Focker's!
Definitely good advice

Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #67
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

There was a time when I was looked down on because I wouldn't share info on public lands...

And now I'm reading a thread about not sharing info.

Congrats to all who figured it out.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #68
Veteranhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East Tx

My wife and kids. If other people hunt in the area I will maybe say if I have seen any deer but I will not give the specifics of what I saw or where I am hunting from.
Veteranhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #69
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

No deer in East Texas!!!!!!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #70
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
No deer in East Texas!!!!!!!
there are no deer in Texas. You should all go hunt somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #71
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

That guy is a sorry excuse for a man and a shame hes on TBH.

That being said, you know my handful of guys I hunt with. I'm confident enough in them to not share our spots with others and it's a good group of guys. That being said, I just dont find much joy in hunting public by myself. If I want the solidarity, I'll go hunt at my lease.
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #72
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
That guy is a sorry excuse for a man and a shame hes on TBH.

That being said, you know my handful of guys I hunt with. I'm confident enough in them to not share our spots with others and it's a good group of guys. That being said, I just dont find much joy in hunting public by myself. If I want the solidarity, I'll go hunt at my lease.
Beware of Dappers is the warning. Man I've helped everyone I've ever met in regards to hunting. I think this season im limiting that to one more charity case and his first bow buck, this year I'm hunting for myself and my daughter basically.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #73
MadHatter
Ten Point

Dang, I screwed up big. I drew out an entire map, had a 25 min conversation with him, never met him other than his one post on here, and told him if he scored, I would find a guy and horse for him .
I hunt alone, or with my Dad.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #74
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Dang, I screwed up big. I drew out an entire map, had a 25 min conversation with him, never met him other than his one post on here, and told him if he scored, I would find a guy and horse for him .
I hunt alone, or with my Dad.
For real ? Lol. I've been inboxed by 3 different guys on tbh. Sounds like he gets around. All have been messaged by him. Unbelievable almost. Shoot , I even put him to work because he wasn't employed at the time.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #75
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

A lot of this is why the shnf thread has become less and less hunting related, but more a spot for those of us who have become good friends over the years. Everyone has been burned some way or another, and even though we're pretty close, we don't even tell of our spots to each other. When i first started there, a guy offered to help my scout my areas, but wasn't going to take me to any honey holes. I agree with that method. Go to new areas and show people the ropes. Get to know them and gain respect as it comes, or sometimes not.

I will say it's nice to have 1 or 2 trustworthy guys to share areas with. I have 1 that i trust with my life, and we'll scout areas with each other. If he takes me to an area he wants to see, i may mark a tree i like with his permission but not likely that I'll hunt it. But henhas also put in trees when i wasn't seeing deer and resulted in kills for me, and I've gone back to it. What's nice is I'll let him know where i am, and vise versa for safety reasons.

Moral of the story, we don't trust people anymore until they've proved they're worthy of it. I don't even like cars seeing me when walking out of the woods where they might see the direction i came from. Take people to new areas only and teach them, never hand out freebies. We work way too dang hard to lose out great areas and deer to people who don't work for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top