Clear All

6.5 Grendel help please

My new Grendel is not cycling with more than one round in the mag
    The gun details I just build it
    Barrel is a 20" ballistic advantage Grendel dmr rifle length
    Bolt is a toolcraft 6.5 Grendel black nitride big w/ forward assist type 2
    Mag is a 6.5 Grendel Elander 10 round magazine
    All is new
    It was shooting great for the break in period till I had to add multiple round to the mag
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you VAP

Do you have an adjustable gas block?

Comment

No I don't

Comment

When you say it's not cycling what do you mean exactly? The bolt locking back? Is it short stroking? Meaning not catching the rim of the case?

Comment

1. Have you tried a different mag?
          2. The gas block could be partially blocking gas port.

Exactly how is it hanging up? Is it hanging on the second round and not going to battery or is it not fully ejecting the first round when another round is in the mag.

I had a similar problem with a 223 wylde and it was my gas block not installed correctly on a already built upper.

I had problems with the mags on my 762x39.

Please post up your fix..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

With one round loaded in the mag it functions correct .
            With multiple rounds in mag the bolt does not even pull the spent round out.
            I have only one mag.

Comment

With just one in the mag and is shot does the bolt lock back?

Comment

With multiple rounds in the mag the spent round stays in the barrel.
                Sorry a little clarity

Comment

Most likely issue is listed above. I have seen a ton of short stroke issues because the gas block wasn't aligned properly. If you are short stroking, you should be able to slide the gas block down the barrel and you will see a smoke mark to one side of the gas port. A dimple jig is worth it's weight in gold is the gas block is the set screw type.

Comment

Ok going to dismantle this now and check it out
                    Thank you vap

Comment

Update
                      I removed the gas block and the smoke mark was 99% correct I made a small adjustment and now it extracts the spent shell and the bolt cycles but fails to load .
                      Thanks Vap

Comment

What weight buffer are you using? This might be part of the issue. An adjustable gas block might also fix your issue. I would suggest having a gunsmith or someone experienced with trouble shooting AR's look it over.

Can you cycle the rounds through the gun manually without it hanging up? I don't really think it's a mag issue because Elanders are IMO the best 6.5 magazine out there, but it's always a possibility.

Comment

Ammo is Hornaday 6.5 Grendel 123 gr. Eld match
                          The ammo is pretty nice I'm breaking it in and it has a decent group.

Comment

Make sure your buffer isn't H Marked. As raider said. Is your stock carbine or rifle? I have had springs bind once or twice, but it isn't often.

Comment

I don't see any markings on the buffer. I just weighted the buffer at 3.0 oz /85 g

Comment

Working...
                              X