Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inverter generator- is duel fuel source worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverter generator- is duel fuel source worth it?

Looking at getting a Westinghouse iGen4500 watt generator for the new hunting rig travel trailer.

This generator comes in gas or gas/propane capable. The propane as a source doesn’t sound like an efficient means of powering it but if you were out of gas, at least you’d have a back up. Price difference is only $100.

Any wise words?

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
    Looking at getting a Westinghouse iGen4500 watt generator for the new hunting rig travel trailer.

This generator comes in gas or gas/propane capable. The propane as a source doesn’t sound like an efficient means of powering it but if you were out of gas, at least you’d have a back up. Price difference is only $100.

Any wise words?
    I was looking at dual fuel the other day. 8 hrs on a 20 LB er. Wouldn't last long but for an emergency and no gasoline it sure might be handy if you keep a couple propane tanks handy. In for more info

Comment

It will probably run longer on the propane than it will gas but with less wattage. Champion makes one that’s dual fuel. Reviews seem to be pretty good but it may require you to run a hard start on your AC if it’s over 13500BTU.
      I don’t have any experience with this generator just what I have seen when I was looking. There is also a Predator sold by Harbor Freight, not sold as dual fuel but can be converted for around $100, that was suggested by the trailer company I was talking to. Obviously neither one of these are equal to the Honda or Yamaha ones but they are half the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by TBrandum View Post
        It will probably run longer on the propane than it will gas but with less wattage. Champion makes one that’s dual fuel. Reviews seem to be pretty good but it may require you to run a hard start on your AC if it’s over 13500BTU.
        I don’t have any experience with this generator just what I have seen when I was looking. There is also a Predator sold by Harbor Freight, not sold as dual fuel but can be converted for around $100, that was suggested by the trailer company I was talking to. Obviously neither one of these are equal to the Honda or Yamaha ones but they are half the cost.
        I'm kind of leery of anything that has moving parts from Harbor. I don't mind picking up extra solid tools...not sure about a generator, even though some reviews are good as I have read.

Comment

For an extra $100 I would do it just to have the capability. One of the rodeo families has a living quarters horse trailer and they always run their generator on propane. I kinda wish our generator ran on both. We always have two propane tanks mounted to the front of the trailer anyway

Comment

I would think not having to deal with the issues of alcohol in gasoline would make it worth going propane. I don't know if propane has any similar issues. I know it doesn't with furnaces.

Comment

Following.

Comment

Propane means no carb (gas type carb) which means no gelled fuel which means less maintenance

Comment

The only issue I've read about is that the propane, is way less efficient than the gas. As in a 20lb bottle will last about 4-6hrs where as this particular generator can run 18hrs on 3 gallons of gas.

I think having the duel, provides a back up with the premise that gas is primary.

Comment

duplicate post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                      I'm kind of leery of anything that has moving parts from Harbor. I don't mind picking up extra solid tools...not sure about a generator, even though some reviews are good as I have read.
                      I agree I am not a big fan of their stuff either but the guy at the trailer place mentioned it said that they are great! I checked out some reviews and they seem to be mixed but a lot of them were good? Champion does come with a longer warranty and the predator is only 90 days. I think I will go with a champion over the harbor freight but still haven’t decided. I hate to spend twice that amount for the Honda but you know what your getting when you get it? I’m kinda torn on the decision but will need to make up my mind with in the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by TBrandum View Post
                        I agree I am not a big fan of their stuff either but the guy at the trailer place mentioned it said that they are great! I checked out some reviews and they seem to be mixed but a lot of them were good? Champion does come with a longer warranty and the predator is only 90 days. I think I will go with a champion over the harbor freight but still haven’t decided. I hate to spend twice that amount for the Honda but you know what your getting when you get it? I’m kinda torn on the decision but will need to make up my mind with in the next few weeks.
                        This Westinghouse is $950 for gas and $1050 for duel fuel. Seems pretty fair considering the great reviews.

Comment

I would go with the dual or gas only.

Only way I would go with a Propane/nat gas only model would be if I could have a huge tank filled by a service.

We had a propane only generator and it would drain a 20 pound bottle in 4-6 hours. Filling and toting a bunch of tanks is a PIA. We promptly bought 2 Honda inverter generators.

Comment

Interested as well. Hopefully be getting a cabin soon and will need to run a window unit and some light and plugs.

Comment

The only reason for dual fuel is for hippie states. Nat gas burns cleaner. Some states will not allow you to use gasoline generators in the parks and camp grounds. There is no added benefit of propane nat gas except it "burns cleaner".

Comment

Working...
                              X