Pig trap, is my math right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig trap, is my math right?

I'm planning on building a 35’ diameter circle trap.
    Can someone check my calculations and design?

35’*3.1416=109.956 round up to 110’
    110'/14’*= 7.8751 round up to 8 panels
    *16' panel overlapped 2’
    8*14'=112’ circumference
    8 panels @14' each used
    112’/2=56 T-Post @ 2' spacing
    + 2 panels for gate
    +14 t posts @2'

On paper this should yield me a 35.6506' Diameter Trap.
    Too big?

Do I need 2 panels for the gate?

Parts needed:
    10 - 16’x50’ Combo Cattle Panel
    70 - 6’ T-Post

Sounds right on panels but really don’t need a t post every 2’. I only put 2 per panel and never had a problem with them pushing through.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
      Sounds right on panels but really don’t need a t post every 2’. I only put 2 per panel and never had a problem with them pushing through.
      I agree, I think you are going way overboard by putting a t-post every 2'. My feeder pen only has 1 t-post per panel and has kept all pigs out for 3 years now. Granted that's keeping pigs out, not in, which would probably require a bit more strength. I'd start with 2 t-posts per panel and then add more if needed.

Comment

That is a big trap. Couple of questions... are you planning on shooting them in the trap or loading them up alive. If you are going to load them up you might have a hard time in a trap that large. I dont think you need a t post every 2 feet. We have them every 4. In a trap that large those pigs will have plenty of space to run and hit the trap. If it gives any at all they will keep hitting it looking for a week spot. That can get a little sporting. The more space to run the harder it is to shoot them

Comment

My hog trap has eight panels plus an 8' wide gate. It's plenty big. A T post at each overlap and one in the middle. As long as it's wired up well, that's enough T posts. I want a little "spring" in my panels, as long as they don't come apart.

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

This is from about 100’ from the intended location.

Haven't decided on shooting or loading yet.

I had a picture of the type of trap I am going to build.
            Just can't find it in my new phone:

(

Found it in my Google Photos
            Here it is:
            Last edited by Pushbutton2; 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna say start over with your math. Is 35' the inside, or outside, of the trap? You forgot to account for the trap thickness.

Comment

That big of a pen, and they're gonna climb out, jump out and get a running start to go crazy when you drive up to get them out. Consider building a trap door to a loading chute and they're gonna keep stacking into the chute as they're looking for a weak spot in the trap.

Comment

Don't think you need 2 ft overlap on the panels. Two squares would be about a ft right?

Sounds serious! Post updates.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                    That big of a pen, and they're gonna climb out, jump out and get a running start to go crazy when you drive up to get them out. Consider building a trap door to a loading chute and they're gonna keep stacking into the chute as they're looking for a weak spot in the trap.
                    I read that some people don't secure the top 1' of the trap to counter them climbing out.
                    I was hoping the size would help keep them calm and draw more in...
                    Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    Don't think you need 2 ft overlap on the panels. Two squares would be about a ft right?

Sounds serious! Post updates.
                    I thought the squares were spaced 1’ apart....

Comment

My trap is 6 16' panels---96' plus a 4' trap gate. I used a post at each juncture of the panels and one in the middle. I have a big barrel feeder inside the trap---works great and I've set it twice this spring, catching 9 and 11 the two times. Gonna set it again this week--

Do they climb out? Not that I've seen but the majority of my catch are 50-90 lbs. Last trap I had a small one squeeze out thru the panel but I dropped it on the run with my .22.

Comment

that would be a big trap

Comment

That's about the size of my trap. I have my tposts at about 6' apart. Wish I would've gone 4' cause I had a large sow bust out with her piglets a couple years ago. Reinforced each post with lotsa extra bailing wire. 2' on tposts is definitely overkill though.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Comment

There's definitely a technique to taking them out alive. I usually walk around the trap several times while talking to them and making sure they catch my wind. Getting closer and closer with every turn. Once they realize you are not a threat, they will settle down. Then you can drive right up and trailer them without too much drama. Also a good idea, is too keep an old tire or a couple logs in the trap for them to take their anger out on and wear'em out a little.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Comment

There's cows, calves and a bull in this pasture.

They have yet to mess with my feeder.
                              How high should run the Barbed wire to keep them out?
                              I was thinking 1 strand about knee high.

The pigs don't seem to come to the corn too much unless I pour Pig Out over it.
                              Is there something else that works?

In Brady they come in about 3 minutes street the feeder spins....

Comment

Working...
                              X