No announcement yet.

Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, I think you need to have an attorney look at your situation and give you some advice. I agree with the others, if a bullet crosses that fence line I believe you would have a legal matter for the Sheriff to handle.

I can't believe your neighbor is willing to risk it? Plus, I would think at the very least a cease and desist letter from the attorney. I am sure a judge would see things differently.

Comment

What’s an attorney going to do? The guy with the rifle range isn’t breaking any laws.

Comment

The OP has been asked quite a few times to provide a reference to his cabin location. He still hasn’t. I’m inclined to believe it would have been provided by now had it been relevant. Since it hasn’t been provided I’m thinking it only makes his argument weaker.

Comment

Looks about like most fence lines at my deer lease. Neighbors put blinds on most all boundaries. I don't particularly like it. But what can you do, build your own next to his and sit and drink coffee together in the morning? I just don't normally hunt close to their blinds. To be honest, neither do the neighbors. At least that I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            What’s an attorney going to do? The guy with the rifle range isn’t breaking any laws.
            Probably nothing but they are very unethical land owners to say the least ! If they have only owned the property for 2 years, their time will come.
            Last edited by Bucknaked; 06-15-2021, 01:02 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              I called about dead deer in my ditch out of season, he said "what do you want me to do about it?" Said thought you might want to know......end of conversation
              I did the same thing when I found a deer. It had the backstraps removed then dumped. He acted ****** I called.

Comment

Yeah, but you have to have proof that the projectile did cross the property line.
                One doesn't need absolute proof. Just watch what people get convicted of these days.

Just place a trail camera or two facing the plywood down by the targets. Also place cameras where they take pictures when people are shooting. Any judge or jury could see the times and holes (if one crosses the fence).

For those that think this is ok, which I understand technically it is ok, I'd like to see you sit in a lawn chair 10 yards away from the 1,000 yard target when guys are shooting at it

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  I would put up a cheapie 12ft box blind directly in the path of the range fire
                  If the guy has half a brain he will make **** sure to be be safe when taking shots and verify Noone downrange
                  I like that idea. Make it tall enough so the shooter can easily see it and put a manikin in it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    One doesn't need absolute proof. Just watch what people get convicted of these days.

Just place a trail camera or two facing the plywood down by the targets. Also place cameras where they take pictures when people are shooting. Any judge or jury could see the times and holes (if one crosses the fence).

For those that think this is ok, which I understand technically it is ok, I'd like to see you sit in a lawn chair 10 yards away from the 1,000 yard target when guys are shooting at it
                    No, some of us just aren’t as dramatic as you, which is why more context was asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

First, are game cams going to work taking pics of bullets? If they actually hit the plywood, do you think that will trigger the cams?
                      Second…what has sitting ten yards from the target in a lawn chair have to do with the OPs problem?
                      The OPs problem is what might happen. It is a scenario that MIGHT happen. The landowner has done nothing illegal yet. The op hasn’t said where his cabin is situated, how big the property is, all we know is what he posted. Maybe if that cabin was 10 yards from that target your example would make more sense.

Comment

I just couldn’t shoot in the direction of where someone could be. I don’t care how high the backstop is.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                          I just couldn’t shoot in the direction of where someone could be. I don’t care how high the backstop is.

Understandable. Who would? But to be honest, everytime we hunt, at least with firearms, that’s a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                            First, are game cams going to work taking pics of bullets? If they actually hit the plywood, do you think that will trigger the cams?
                            Second…what has sitting ten yards from the target in a lawn chair have to do with the OPs problem?
                            The OPs problem is what might happen. It is a scenario that MIGHT happen. The landowner has done nothing illegal yet. The op hasn’t said where his cabin is situated, how big the property is, all we know is what he posted. Maybe if that cabin was 10 yards from that target your example would make more sense.
                            My point was very simple. The people saying the gun range is all ok should at least admit the other landowner has a right to use his property without fear also. Why does it matter how many acres he has or where his cabin is located? Is it only wrong if a stray bullet may hit his cabin?

The cameras would need to take a picture every 10-30 minutes or so that would show no hole in plywood. When they did show a hole in plywood the other camera would show shooter/s at the other end. You don't need a lawyer and judge sitting with video cameras and finding the bullet to have enough evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                              Understandable. Who would? But to be honest, everytime we hunt, at least with firearms, that’s a possibility.
                              Sounds like his neighbor would. Knowing a camp is down range increases that possibility by a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                The OP has been asked quite a few times to provide a reference to his cabin location. He still hasn’t. I’m inclined to believe it would have been provided by now had it been relevant. Since it hasn’t been provided I’m thinking it only makes his argument weaker.
                                Maybe he is at work and cannot respond......hold tight for a response

Comment

Working...
                                X