No announcement yet.

.44 mag verses wet sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beauty of any handgun projectile .40 caliber or over, with a decently tough bullet, at 1,200 fps or above, is that on deer sized animals or smaller, very little expansion is needed. A broadside shot will almost always give two holes, unless you hit spine or shoulder, in which case the animal will usually be recovered anyway.

Bigger hogs may be a different story, they can soak up some lead before they give it up, and they don’t bleed like a deer. Where hogs are concerned, bigger is better, and I prefer to break bones, especially high shoulders.

Comment

X10 on the high point shoulder shot. Usually breaks shoulder blade and then the spine right behind. Even if the bullet stays inside the animal it's butt hits the ground and it's staying planted right there. These 270 gr LeadHeads with 19.5gr H110 from my 41 mag will knock a 200lb hog sideways and down with a shoulder hit and you can hear the bullet smack a mile away These have a BNH 22 hardness and they break any bone they hit.
      Attached Files

Comment

I bought 2 of these Bisley Hunters several years ago. One in .44 mag which I gave to my brother for his B'day and a .41 mag I kept for myself since it is flatter shooting caliber. Both pistols are open sight accurate to 80+ yards on hogs off of a good rest. Both of them kill the snot out of stuff with those hardcast bullets I used to get from Leadhead.
        Attached Files

Comment

I can’t shoot beyond self defense ranges without optics anymore, but like you, I’m a .41 Mag fan. Here’s one of mine…
          Attached Files

Comment

You need someone to test them .44s on pigs, Leon?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I can’t shoot beyond self defense ranges without optics anymore, but like you, I’m a .41 Mag fan. Here’s one of mine…
              I guess we are part of the cult following for Bisley frame Rugers. They don't even make mine anymore in 41 mag. .
              I Also have a Taurus Ragin Bull in .41 with a ported barrel and it has way more recoil even thought it's much heavier.
              For some reason these Bisley frame pistols seem to have less felt recoil than other guns of the same caliber. I know mine does

Comment

How long before Leon goes into bidnez casting hard to find bullets?

Comment

.44 mag verses wet sand

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  I guess we are part of the cult following for Bisley frame Rugers. They don't even make mine anymore in 41 mag. .
                  I Also have a Taurus Ragin Bull in .41 with a ported barrel and it has way more recoil even thought it's much heavier.
                  For some reason these Bisley frame pistols seem to have less felt recoil than other guns of the same caliber. I know mine does

My dad has the blued Bisely in .44, I have the super redhawk, and a .444 Marlin. I don’t shoot any of them enough, but I did sight in my .44 last year and get it ready for hog duty.

Comment

Right there with you. This is my Bisley 41 mag. But it came with the plow grip and I did the Bisley conversion myself. Homemade grips. Absolutely love this gun and have killed several nice deer with it.

Comment

Maybe I’ll give the high shoulder deal a shot next time, but I’m having great success popping them in the vitals.

Comment

They don't go very far when their pump gets exploded
                        Is that the Weaver 2x pistol scope on that hog leg?
                        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 06-08-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Leon, most of the reason that I go for high shoulder shots these days is because I’m just not into dragging a deer 200 yards through the woods anymore. I want to drive up to them !

Comment

I bought 2 of these Bisley Hunters several years ago. One in .44 mag which I gave to my brother for his B'day and a .41 mag I kept for myself since it is flatter shooting caliber. Both pistols are open sight accurate to 80+ yards on hogs off of a good rest. Both of them kill the snot out of stuff with those hardcast bullets I used to get from Leadhead.

Man, i’s luvs me some Bisley’s. They’re built for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              You need someone to test them .44s on pigs, Leon?[emoji23]

I can hook you up. [emoji6]

Comment

They don't go very far when their pump gets exploded
                                Is that the Weaver 2x pistol scope on that hog leg?

MB, believe it or not, it’s a cheap Simmons 2-7x I paid $80 for new when I bought it 10-12 years ago. Figured if it didn’t work out, I’d only be out of $80. After hundreds of full house loads, it still works. Heck, if it broke now, I’d say I’d gotten my money’s worth.

Here’s my best 100 yard group shooting off sandbags:

When I bought my .500SW Performance Center, I didn’t even test the waters with putting a Simmons on it, so I went with Leupold. This pistola is in a league of its own.

Comment

Working...
                                X