Big Life Decision (Lost on what to do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of other things to consider:

If you were to stay in the military and earn your Masters, do you see yourself using it in another capacity in the private sector? Of course, if it’s paid for, does it matter?

Retirement, annuities and health benefits. Without a doubt, your military retirement benefits are more sound than most private pensions are (remember, 20 years ago, all those Delta employees who lost their pensions?). You might consider how much higher your annuity will be if you retire several years later—and at a higher rank—and compare this (in the long term) to the short-term increase in pay you’d realize if you changed jobs now.

Comment

Wow I can say I’m truly surprised at the responses. I will try to answer some of the questions which were asked.

1. Incentives-the military pays an aviation pay bonus which varies from year to year. For this year, it was $15k per year if I committed to 5-8 years more. I didn’t sign as I believe next year it will be closer to $30k per year as the airlines start pulling pilots from the service.

2. Lifestyle-This is a bit tricky as it can vary widely in the military. Obviously the year of school should be fairly stable but whatever happens after that is uncertain. It is likely I will be in an office job for about 2 years then most likely back to flying, but who know where on that as well. As for the airlines, it really depends on how quickly people get hired after me. The more senior the better life. Expect to be gone 12-15 days per month, but zero work the other half of the month.

3. Flying for Airlines-Yes, it can be a bit mundane but it was the same style flying as I did in the C17. It’s what you do to keep yourself occupied when you are gone from home to make it all better.

Hey will try to update more as I see them. As for monetary value, yes I know that I’m passing up money already, to the tune of $50k per year in retirement I’m not collecting. I hear what 44 is saying on it all. From a pure financial perspective the best bet is to exit and start a new career. That is why this is a struggle.

I do however see the writing on the wall about our economics changing and probably not for the better with the current administration.

As for me being afraid of change, that actually is the most exciting thing which is why I love the military. I’m on my 9th assignment and get excited every time. I would say there is a difference between someone who doesn’t think they have opportunities and those who see them but choose a path for a specific reason.

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Remember how cyclical the airline industry is. Air travel is one of the first things cut when money is tight. We've seen three major airline industry busts in the last 20 years: post-9/11, 2008 Great Recession, and 2020 pandemic. All three devastated the industry. Are you sure that's what you want to get into?

Comment

If you pilot Anti-Gravity craft you can ensure future aviation employment. Maybe you can put in for “the fleet” to become proficient before it becomes mainstream. The FAA has already asked DOD to release the technology for civilian use.

You can’t lose either way man, Salute !
          Last edited by Johnny44; 05-18-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Why not retire, take the retirement from Military, and go take a pilot job and double your money. Getting paid twice for 1 day of work sounds best to me.

Comment

OP,
              I retired from the Air Force in 2019 after 24+ years. I always heard people say "you'll know when the time is right" to retire and that was true for me. I enjoyed my time in uniform but moving every other year was getting harder on my family. Had I stayed, I was headed for staff jobs and a strong chance of going back to the DC area and didn't want either of those.

I'd say go with whichever option you think will give you the most job satisfaction and keep your family happy. If flying is your dream job, enjoy your dream (with the financial security of two military pensions & benefits like medical care)! If you enjoy leading Airmen, I'll offer that Sq/CC was hands-down the most rewarding job I've ever had.

You could also try for the best of both worlds if you're amenable to ANG/Reserves in addition to flying for the airlines.

Comment

Life is short, be happy. Whatever gives you the most time with family. The rest will fall in line. You have a skill where you will always have a paycheck. I have lost three best friends the last five years. One died at 54 to an aneurysm and one died at 56 to a heart attack. Spend quality time with family. There are no "do overs" and you can never get "Time back". I wish you the very best in your future selection and I thank you sir for your service. My father was a rescue helicopter in Nam and he gave the ultimate sacrifice. Live life, love your family and do what makes you the most happy. You can't take money with you when you die and money does not buy health. My Uncle and my cousin both retired from the army as Colonels. Both are very happy men.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  A couple of other things to consider:

If you were to stay in the military and earn your Masters, do you see yourself using it in another capacity in the private sector? Of course, if it’s paid for, does it matter?

Retirement, annuities and health benefits. Without a doubt, your military retirement benefits are more sound than most private pensions are (remember, 20 years ago, all those Delta employees who lost their pensions?). You might consider how much higher your annuity will be if you retire several years later—and at a higher rank—and compare this (in the long term) to the short-term increase in pay you’d realize if you changed jobs now.

To be honest I could actually see me using it as I would prefer to be home more once I’m done with the military. In what sector? No idea.

I do remember the Delta fiasco as my dad dealt with a bit taking a voluntary pay cut. That is part of my thought process at staying. At the same time having a nest egg which is not based on the government is appealing for a few reasons.

In the short term I would take a pay cut but long term (being able to fly) I would see a definite pay increase. Also, hitting the seniority line earlier will allow me to manipulate my schedule to maximize family time vice being more junior.

Part of my problem is my kids are 11 years apart so what’s good from one isn’t as good for the other.

I would consider guard/reserves but it’s a weird position being that I’m retirement elegible. If I join them I have to forgo my retirement check until I decide to retire from that route. So in essence, I wouldn’t be getting paid a retirement I have “earned”. (If that makes sense)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just remember, we are here for a short time. Quality of life is far more important than quantity. You have to decide what quality mean for you.

Comment

I'd suggest you make an exit now. You went from retiring soon, to an extra 5 years, to maybe 10.
                      Let it go. I'm a veteran, I loved my military life, but I love being a civilian much better. You'll love it as well.
                      Get started on your next chapter, your next career move.

Comment

Money isn’t everything Tyler. At the end of the day you’ll know what to do.

Comment

21 years of a life you know and will be getting to the perks of it now. I would stay in the service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your service. If your family is ok with it stay in and train. As an FTO in EMS I get to see people grow, thrive and accomplish their goals.... I can imagine you experience that in the service as well. If your family is ok with you staying in I would stay in, teach and equip America’s next leaders..... again only if your family is on board. My best friend is in and speaking from personal experience.... I am immensely proud of him but know it sucks for his family.... you will make a great decision I am sure.

Comment

First of all- Thank you for your service.

Secondly, from a pilot’s son point of view, it really sucks. Not around family very much. You’ll likely be based in the high cost of living areas such as NYC, being fresh meat.

My dads been a commercial pilot since he was 18 so he can give you some input if you’d like to get with him, he’d be more than happy to chat with you and give you his opinion... He handles some of the training, flying with some of the pilots on their first commercial flight, fresh out of the simulator.

Comment

Hey there Tmill. Thank you for your service. Pm sent. I would be happy to give you as much knowledge as I can and try to connect you with a pilot that is former military and flying with us. Please reach out if I can help. I will be praying for you and your family to help make the right decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X