Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desert Bighorn Sheep-Doc’s shot at Carmen Island!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The evening of day two we went back north to glass and it was uneventful. However, on day three the action heats up!!!!!!!

At least we always had some time before and after dinner to relax. Such a beautiful and peaceful place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool looking place.

Comment

Hunt Day 3: two stalks, two rams in bow range, no shots!!!!!!

On day three we again went north and hiked in by the guzzler. This time we got to our original glassing point and then scrambled up another couple hundred feet of super steep, sketchy terrain. We glassed for a while and again found sheep. This time we found the biggest ram of the trip. He had everything. Mass, good length and that wide beautiful flare. Everyone thought he would push 170” and a plan was made. We dropped off the mountain and again hit a wash to circle around. We had to climb up out of the bottom and then higher than our initial glassing point. I was pouring sweat. Gaspar found the ram bedded and again the packs came off and bow put together. We snuck in and the ram had gotten up. He was now feeding on a ridge across from us and Gaspar had ranged that area previously and it was 60 yards. I finally spotted the ram and he was quite a bit left of where we thought he would come out. Gaspar could not see him or get a range. I moved a half step and found a shooting window in the brush. I was going to guess and shoot for 50 yards as he was a touch closer than we had ranged. I started to put tension on the string and the ram turned and ran off. Crap!!!!!!! Almost a shot on the ram of my dreams. It would have been dicey with unknown yardage but I had a decent guess. We regrouped and hiked back off the mountain an hour or two later. Again my knees were sore and my feet hurt but I knew I could climb anything on the island.

Sheep country!

Always glassing!!!!!

Comment

Those quesadillas and the guac!!!

Comment

Evening of day 3 we are back in the truck and headed out north. We see some sheep but again it looks like to possible stalks. Finally on a little bit shorter mountain there are two rams! The light is terrible with the setting sun in our face but they look good enough for a closer look. We go around the backside of the mountain and climb up. Abundis is out front with the spotter and guides us in. Once on top we lose the packs and I get the bow ready. We get in position and the ram is coming up. I can see horns just over the fall of the mountain in front of us and he is close! He follows the trail and steps out just over 20 yards away. Almost perfectly broadside and I’m ready to shoot! Two problems. First, he is young and maybe 150 inches. Second is there is a bush right across his vitals. He finally figures out we are not good and runs off. I let down my bow. Within bow range twice in one day, getting better!!!!!

Comment

Hunt day 4: we headed back north but didn’t go to the guzzler. We dropped Abundis off to glass and we headed further west to look. We found three good rams on a moderate sized mountain and decided to go after them. We got about 3/4 way to the top and they busted us. I think they winded us and hauled butt up higher on the next mountain. I figured they were gone but this day was only starting!!!!! We watched the rams clear what was one of the tallest peaks on the island and Abundis could see them on the other side. We started up the highest and steepest climb yet. We got to the top and located two rams bedded. Gaspar and I snuck down to within 300 yards to get a better look. They eventually got up and fed over the top away from us. Our spotter found them and again it was game on!

We snuck in to a shelf overlooked a canyon. The sheep were below us but not visible. There were trails coming out of the canyon from 20 to 60 yards. Perfect! We waited for an hour or so and the sheep kept feeding out of sight. Finally a decision was made to try to push them up as we were afraid the wind would shift. It seemed reasonable and Abundis started our way from about a mile away. The sheep eventually moved out of the canyon at a trot abd i was at full draw. The big ram came right up the 20 yard trail but never slowed down. No shot again!!!!!!

That high peak is where we went up and over. Problem was then coming back up and over the side and out to the truck!

More sheep country.

Comment

Awesome Doc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Desert Bighorn Sheep-Doc’s shot at Carmen Island!!!!

Evening of day 4 and the talk!!!!

The evening of day 4 was slow and we only saw a couple rams. Everyone was a bit discouraged and we headed back to camp for dinner.

When I originally booked the hunt there were 8 total hunting days. That seemed short for a sheep hunt but always worked for them. When we pushed it back a year the hunts had moved to 6 days. Sergio told me this and I wasn’t thrilled. It was based on flights in to Loreto and their long term averages on days to kill sheep. I wanted to hunt the island and wanted my wife to go. I had to go along with the change.

At dinner on the fourth night Gaspar decided we needed to have a serious talk about the hunt and strategy. We had two days left but would lose half a day going to Loreto for a Covid test. He said we could carry on and hope we got a sheep or we could try to sit over the water sources in a blind. He felt that was almost 100% chance at a shot. I still wanted to spot and stalk. I asked about coming back if I wasn’t successful. He said it had to be this year and the only days available would be the last 4 or 5 of May. I already have a work schedule and a couple days booked to fish with my best friend for his birthday. I was potentially screwed! I went to my room that night in a foul mood. My wife knew it and now the pressure was ramped up. I said a prayer that night and I know my dear friend Todd back home did the same. I had a day and a half to kill a sheep. If I had a decent shot inside 80 yards an arrow would fly. I had practiced, I was ready. Bring on the sheep!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hunt Day 5: Crunch time

My attitude was still not great as we had breakfast on day 5. I wanted to kill a desert sheep with my bow and I had come to the best place on Earth to do that. I was frustrated but ready to go hunt. Hell, lots can happen in the last day or so!

So, for day 5 we got in the boat and headed south. I kept thinking of all the pictures of sheep I had seen from Carmen Island. Lots were stunning pictures with the ocean in the background. I hadn’t hunted a sheep I’m that area yet! We were cruising along and all of a sudden the boat slows and the guides get excited. They have spotted two rams about halfway up the mountain above the beach. One looks like a shooter ram! Here we go!!!!!!!!!!

We take the boat to shore and Elise, myself, Gaspar and Mata start the climb up and south of the sheep. We get the the high point and the sheep are below us and to our left, out of sight. Once again, we drop the packs and I get my bow ready. We hike up a bit higher and find a little flat spot overlooking a couple sheep trails. The close shots will be 20-30 yards and some chances further out. We get set and wait. The guys on the boat can see the sheep and they are feeding our way.

I see horns start to clear the brush and head down the trail below us. It’s the younger ram but he is perfect. Long horns and not broomed at all. He stops at 30 yards and looks out at the ocean. Awesome! Then he cranes his neck around and looks right at us and barks. Some sort of alarm warning. $&@@!!!!! Here we go again! He had been severely quartering away and about 30 yards away. I knew what to expect.

The big ram started up the trail as the smaller ram spooked out. He was moving at a good pace but I was already at full draw. Gaspar bleated at the ram when he was 33 yards away and he slowed almost to a stop. I didn’t have much to aim at as he was even more severely quartered away. I aimed just in front of the near side hip and let the arrow fly. The arrow hit and buried just about to the wrap! I knew the ram would die from that hit.

We were all excited and exchanged high fives. I had done it, I had arrowed a desert ram!!!!! We followed him and there was immediately blood on the rocks. He had gone 75-100 yards and bedded down. The sevr 1.7 had done well. He was still alive but could barely lift his head. I climbed up one last little knob and shot the ram in the chest at 16 yards with an iron will. With that he rolled over and the rest is history!!!!!!!!!!

The wife gets to the sheep!

From the spot of the final shot.

Nothing beats the highs and lows of bowhunting!

Comment

Just a few more trophy pics.

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt! I don't know much about aging sheep, but that one looks ancient to me? Any idea how old they thought he was?

Comment

Congrats, Doc! Great write up! I like the way you break the story up into several different posts, (with pictures), instead of a 25000 word essay in one huge post. Makes it way easier to follow the story for me! So, thanks for that and congrats again!

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                            Congrats on a great hunt! I don't know much about aging sheep, but that one looks ancient to me? Any idea how old they thought he was?
                            At least 11 years old. Not a baby!!!!!

Comment

Once in a life time trophy and hunt! Thanks for taking us all along, Doc!

Comment

I’ll finish off the last couple days at some point. However, you have the most exciting parts there now.

Comment

Working...
                                X