• Show
Clear All

Shut truck off to fuel.

Smells burnt and is black.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you check transmission temp?

Comment

Sold my friend my 2016 Chevy Silverado and the transmission went out with just over 100,000 miles. Sounds like the same thing his truck was doing.

Comment

I could tell the transmission in my 2014 Chevy was having issues when I traded it in, hope you get it figured out

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            Can you check transmission temp?
            No but I bet it was hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              No but I bet it was hot.

There should be an option on your display to view the transmission temp.

Comment

Well its probably cool now. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  Well its probably cool now. Lol.

Assuming you are going to continue to drive it, check the temp when you get going. Normal temp should be below 200F.

Comment

I know your a Chevy fan boy, and had great luck. But this is the issue that finally made me give em up. I’ve burn up more Chevy and Allison transmissions than Willy has zig zags. Bad thing is the rebuilt sand crates were always worse than the factory... and that’s pretty bad. You got lucky on what you had

I had a Ford 6.0 never an issue... ever. I was lucky... you been lucky too

Comment

If over full Chevy may have a seal that would allow motor oil to leak into transmission? It motor oil low? Or you add to often?

Or if 4x4 allow transfer case oil into transmission?
                      Last edited by Low Fence; 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Try seeing if the gulf will cool this one off

Comment

So this is what I was told by my buddy that works on them. The torque converter on these models is what causes the transmission to go bad. From what he said the torque converter starts to break down and pieces of it get into your transmission fluid cause it to gum things up and causes your trans fluid to burn up then causing your transmission to go bad. Said almost every transmission he has replaced the torque converter was bad and likely cause of transmission failure. Don’t know how true this is and some of the explanations might be off since he told me this a while back, just info he passed on to me since I own a 17 suburban. But I did had him replace my torque converter when the condenser went bad on the suburban since the transmission fluid was pretty burnt already.

Comment

You’d think if GM can make a gas engines that last 350k, that they could make a transmission that was worth a darn.

My 2006 Silverado transmission went out at 66k. The mechanic I took it to in Austin said he rebuilt it like the “old transmission were built”, and said the newer ones were junk. I don’t know exactly what he did to it, but it’s still going strong at 310,000 miles.

Good luck BOB

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
                              So this is what I was told by my buddy that works on them. The torque converter on these models is what causes the transmission to go bad. From what he said the torque converter starts to break down and pieces of it get into your transmission fluid cause it to gum things up and causes your trans fluid to burn up then causing your transmission to go bad. Said almost every transmission he has replaced the torque converter was bad and likely cause of transmission failure. Don’t know how true this is and some of the explanations might be off since he told me this a while back, just info he passed on to me since I own a 17 suburban. But I did had him replace my torque converter when the condenser went bad on the suburban since the transmission fluid was pretty burnt already.
                              This is correct. I have seen it on 4 half tons I’ve owned between 100k-125k miles. The only reason I stopped buying GM half tons

Comment

I had a GMC, tranny went out at 50k miles. They covered it, but I've heard nothing good about their transmissions since.

Comment

Working...
                                X