Typical metal roof price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical metal roof price?

I am wanting to replace the corrugated metal roof on our ranch house as it is original, old and beginning to leak in multiple spots. I would like to have an R-panel roof installed. The house is 1000 sq ft with a single ridge running the full length. What would a realistic cost be to have the old roof removed and new roof installed. The only bid I have gotten is quoted at $5000-$6500 depending on sub wood work needed once old roof is removed.

That's a good quote IMO I paid $12k for a new R-panel for a new 2,500 sq/ft home..

Comment

Off topic, but have shingle prices gone up? Had a neighbor recently get a new 30 yr shingle roof with tear off for a 2100 SQ FT home that cost $15k. Seems high to me & I know there are add ons for pitch, & # of transitions, etc...
      Last edited by HogHunter34; 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

That’s not a bad price. Make sure it includes trim.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
          That’s not a bad price. Make sure it includes trim.
          He said that would include fasteners, trim, and ridge cap.

Comment

Yes shingles and all materials have gone way up. We had 5 price increases last year alone . There have been storms all over so they stick it to everyone and everything goes updue to supply and demand. And it never really matters how many square feet a house is because that doesn’t equate anything to the roof. There are a lot of variables that come into the equation. But in any case the price you got quoted for the metal roof seems fair. As for shingles most companies charge between $285-$350/ a square for full replacement with 30 year shingles , starter, ice and water shield, drip edge, ridge vent, roof jacks, ridge cap , Air Hawks, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              Off topic, but have shingle prices gone up? Had a neighbor recently get a new 30 yr shingle roof with tear off for a 2100 SQ FT home that cost $15k. Seems high to me & I know there are add ons for pitch, & # of transitions, etc...
              Limited Lifetime Architectural Shingles can still be bought for $70/sq.+- depending on manufacturer.

Comment

$15,000 for shingles on a 2100sqft home??? That is absolutely insane. Anyone have an educated guess on how much of that was material cost??

Comment

I paid $3500 on my 2000sqft shop. It was a "lifetime" shingle.

For my 2100sqft house with Rpanel, materials was around $2400. Did the labor myself.

Comment

Prices on metal will vary greatly -

4 to 5 bucks a square foot (for the roofing area, not the floor footage is a fair guess.

He said that would include fasteners, trim, and ridge cap.
                    Rake trim or just drip edge? Is he including any ventilation?

Go by a metal supplier to familiarize yourself with all the components before you sign off on a contract and spec out exactly what you want to be included.

And yes, shingle prices are nuts.....

I just paid 21K for a 21.4 square architectural roof in Florida today....while the roofer complained about not getting paid enough.

He wanted $32K

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                      Prices on metal will vary greatly -

4 to 5 bucks a square foot (for the roofing area, not the floor footage is a fair guess.

Rake trim or just drip edge? Is he including any ventilation?

Go by a metal supplier to familiarize yourself with all the components before you sign off on a contract and spec out exactly what you want to be included.

And yes, shingle prices are nuts.....

I just paid 21K for a 21.4 square architectural roof in Florida today....while the roofer complained about not getting paid enough.

He wanted $32K
                      He said the price includes screws, tape, ridge, rake trim, and eave trim.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
                        He said the price includes screws, tape, ridge, rake trim, and eave trim.
                        so for a 1000 sq ft building that is 40x25 there should be about 12.5 squares on a 4/12 roof with 2' overhangs.

The price seems to be in line, as long as the price doesn't creep over the $6K mark.

Can you see the roof from the attic to get an idea of how much wood needs to be replaced prior to starting?

Comment

I know those roofs in Florida got hammered. I’d sure like to see some $1,000/square payouts here in Katy.!!! Let me know when you come work claims in Houston area

Comment

Originally posted by KevBow View Post
                            I know those roofs in Florida got hammered. I’d sure like to see some $1,000/square payouts here in Katy.!!! Let me know when you come work claims in Houston area
                            might be a while.

We are looking at buying a house here.

16 months living in the motor home, and no end in sight...

Comment

Ya I’m sure you’ll be busy as heck for a long time there too... I heard there’s years of work there and it won’t even scratch the surface. Good luck and stay safe

Comment

Working...
                              X