Limb tip protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limb tip protection

My bottom limb tip takes some abuse. I lean the bow up against the fence between ends and it gets drug through the brush when hunting. I was considering dipping the tip in the black liquid rubber used for coating tool handles and what not. Has anyone tried this?
    I've tried a couple of the commercial tip protectors and haven't been impressed.

I use these, and really like them, but I cut them off where the red line is, so they just cover the tip of the bow, and barely hook over the outside of the string loop to hold it in place.

Rick
    Attached Files

Comment

I've tried them. String warped and finally wore it off then what was left fell off because it was warped from the string. Maybe cutting it off would keep that from occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Maybe cutting it off would keep that from occurring.
        Yep. Mine last forever. Makes them quieter too.

That collar on the top side will buzz on the limbs, because the string stretches it out.when you draw the bow.

I was hearing a buzz, and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Had a buddy of mine listen with me, and he caught onto it pretty quick. After that it didn't take long to figure out why, and I cut/trimmed it down. Buzz was gone after that, and I've been cutting them down that way ever since.

They still protect the limb tip just fine, if all you need is protection for the very tip, which is all I ever need.

Rick

Comment

Thanx Rick I'll try that.

Gary

Comment

some traditional fellas down here put surgical tubing on the bottom end...works good with the kiddos learning to shoot...

Comment

Weird, I have never had a tip protector fall off and I've have walked countless of times though all sorts of brush, tall grass, weeds, head high weird weeds, have had all sorts of leaves, twigs, and cedar stuck in the wedge between my string and tip... and have yet to have one fall off. I think the one on my widow is still 4 years old and I've replaced my string like 2-3 times since.

What hasn't impressed you with the commercial tip protectors... are they falling off or something?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Weird, I have never had a tip protector fall off and I've have walked countless of times though all sorts of brush, tall grass, weeds, head high weird weeds, have had all sorts of leaves, twigs, and cedar stuck in the wedge between my string and tip... and have yet to have one fall off. I think the one on my widow is still 4 years old and I've replaced my string like 2-3 times since.

What hasn't impressed you with the commercial tip protectors... are they falling off or something?
                The leather one worked well on my BW. Just had to fight it some when stringing and unstringing. The rubber type like Rick showed I had trouble with it deforming/warping and in the end wouldn't stay on. The little foam rubbery ones just split at the molding seam over a few hundred shots. I bought the leather one through Kustom King I think and it went with the Widow when I traded it. The others I've bought through 3Rivers.
                I'll be placing an order with them in a few days and will try Rick's suggestion.
                That said the lower tip is all I'm concerned about on my longbow but on the recurve Randy is building I may do both ends.

Gary

Comment

I have only used the plastic ones in ricks pic... unaltered.

Comment

The bottom one is the style that just got warped/out of shape. I have not tried any on the Primaltech. All I've used were on previous bows from the Sage on up to my current TallTines. I had a difficult time getting it on as it was pretty tight. I tried this as well. This is the one that split on the side. They aren't expensive and I don't mind experimenting but need to find something that works and will still on there when I get back to camp.

Gary

Comment

I tried one over and one under the string. The one over lasted longer.

Gary

Comment

Gary, I've been meaning to take these pictures for you since you started this topic. Just getting around to it.

These pictures should show you very well what I do.

Pay no attention to how beat up & dirty the tip protector is. It's "at least" 6 years old, and has been recently stuck in the dirt while hunting.

I leave it just long enough to roll over the loop on the back side of them limb, and it actually conforms to that shape quickly.

It has served it's purpose well to protect the limb tip, and has never come off, unless I intentionally pulled it off. It never loosens.

Rick
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'll give that a try. I can't rule out operator error but that I try next.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            I'll give that a try. I can't rule out operator error but that I try next.

Gary
                            Slip it on (tightly) full size, then while it's on mark it just beyond the loop (enough you know it will roll over the loop) on the back side of the limb.

Then, remove it, and cut it at that mark.

You should be good to go with it after that.

Rick

Comment

Yeah it just would stretch out with every draw with it slipped on all the way up there and that was my issue. The dirt got down in it etc. After a while it just came off somewhere.
                              Like I said though could have been operator error. I'm a pretty good mechanic but I'm still learning this stuff.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X