Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TBH Video Journal 23 "How to Cape a Trophy Buck's Rack" (Skinning Rack Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH Video Journal 23 "How to Cape a Trophy Buck's Rack" (Skinning Rack Series)

Have you ever lost a trophy rack while it was at the taxidermist?

In this, the second installment of our "Skinning Rack" series, Justin Bone demonstrates how to cape a trophy buck skull and rack so that the hide can be delivered to the taxidermist while retaining the rack until the taxidermist is ready to finalize the mount. This allows the hunter to display the antlers while the taxidermist prepares the hide and form, with the added protection of better safeguarding the antlers in the event of an unforeseen issue with the taxidermist.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmRSRQtowmM"]TBHVJ - "Skinning Rack" - How to Cape a Trophy Buck's Rack - YouTube[/ame]

Let me know what you think...
    My Flickr Photos

THanks for the video. That was very informative! This took something I have always been way to leery of trying myself and made it look relatively simple with the right tools and a sharp knife.

Comment

Excellent demonstration and tips by Justin!

Good coverage Boss! I like the close shots that show the detail.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
        THanks for the video. That was very informative! This took something I have always been way to leery of trying myself and made it look relatively simple with the right tools and a sharp knife.
        I'd never really closely watched one done before, and I've always been too intimidated to attempt it, too. Justin definitely made it look easy, although he's practiced on quite a few!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good post Capitan! Justin knows his stuff that is for sure!!! Not sure if my suggestion is worth it's salt by any means but I have done it a few times practicing on spikes just because I had the animal getting ready for the freezer and that seemed to help out as well as I had no confidence in doing it before. It won't be the same as a trophy by a long shot but decent practice nonetheless. Oh, and this is the one time that I will use the most dangerous tool known to man, a Havalon knife

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
            Good post Capitan! Justin knows his stuff that is for sure!!! Not sure if my suggestion is worth it's salt by any means but I have done it a few times practicing on spikes just because I had the animal getting ready for the freezer and that seemed to help out as well as I had no confidence in doing it before. It won't be the same as a trophy by a long shot but decent practice nonetheless. Oh, and this is the one time that I will use the most dangerous tool known to man, a Havalon knife
            LOL! Practicing on something other than a trophy is definitely a good suggestion! When Gary shot his big buck the following weekend, I volunteered to try it on his! Luckily, Trey was there and executed it to perfection!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Very informative...Thank you.

Comment

Very informative and great video. I used to rush to my taxi with the skull intact like most do up until several years ago when I was taught how to do it myself. After having my taxi show me how to do it, much like demonstrated in the video its the only way we do it now. I like to keep my antlers with skull intact, skullmount them and have them around the house to fondle as well as show off till my taxi needs them to complete the mount several months down the road.

Comment

Great video...I have never seen done up close like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    LOL! Practicing on something other than a trophy is definitely a good suggestion! When Gary shot his big buck the following weekend, I volunteered to try it on his! Luckily, Trey was there and executed it to perfection!
                    HAHAHA I can't believe he didn't have faith in you to try it on his trophy But, then again, Trey is similar to a surgeon I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                      Very informative and great video. I used to rush to my taxi with the skull intact like most do up until several years ago when I was taught how to do it myself. After having my taxi show me how to do it, much like demonstrated in the video its the only way we do it now. I like to keep my antlers with skull intact, skullmount them and have them around the house to fondle as well as show off till my taxi needs them to complete the mount several months down the road.
                      I have a couple of heads at the taxidermist now (last year's buck and my blackbuck). I'm not really in a rush for the mounts, but it'd be nice to be able to show off the antlers even while the taxidermist is taking his time with the mount.

Originally posted by kck View Post
                      HAHAHA I can't believe he didn't have faith in you to try it on his trophy But, then again, Trey is similar to a surgeon I'm sure.
                      Yep, Trey is pretty deft with a Havalon, as well!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

This is great Michael. I've always wanted to see how that was done. Very informative and I may just try it on my next deer. Even for a Euro mount it is good training. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                          This is great Michael. I've always wanted to see how that was done. Very informative and I may just try it on my next deer. Even for a Euro mount it is good training. Thanks again.
                          No doubt! Thanks!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Episode 24 will be uploaded today. Justin will demonstrate measuring a whitetail rack according to gross B&C or P&Y scoring systems.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X