No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my dog Brandy track a deer up here in Wisconsin this week. My friend gut shot the buck at 6:30AM and we found it at 11:30 the next day. It wasn't too far of a track, maybe 300-400 yards. She took off the wrong way first. I put her back on the last blood and this time she went a different direction. About 60 yards from where we found him you could tell she was into something. Now She has "found" a half dozen deer for me that were easy recoveries. And she tracked a dozen deer for her previous owner, but she has never found a deer for me that we could not find on our own. It has only been a few but as the story goes usually we find out later the deer wasn't dead. Other times, who knows? Last year she trailed a buck that left a great blood trail and she seemed lost and uninterested. It was discouraging to say the least. So I don't have a lot of faith in her, I was thinking she was going rabbit hunting . To my surprise we found the buck! My friend said he was going to quit bow hunting he was so sick. So glad my dog found this deer....my friend was very happy.

Before coming up to Wisconsin I shot a doe in Texas just to try to get her ready for the season. Made a perfect shot and had to drag it into the brush. She was all over that doe when she found it. I was happy her to see her prey drive back. I think this definitely helped her remind her what to do on this real track. If your dog isn't perfect, don't give up. Keep working them and it will pay off!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
      We put Gumbo on his first track last week.

It was a short track through waist high buffelgrass.

He did well.

[ATTACH]667260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]667262[/ATTACH]
      ALright! I almost called you last night to see if he had started yet. Great start to hopefully a long career!

Comment

I'm having trouble getting some real tracks for Daisy. I shot one doe and she found it. But haven't been able to put her on anything since early October. If anyone in Leon or Harris County needs something let me know!

Comment

Need a snake training class somewhat close ...k9's too far

Comment

He did well.

[ATTACH]667260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]667262[/ATTACH]
            Thats awesome TUCO! He is looking great and gettin big. First of many I'm sure

Comment

He did well.

[ATTACH]667260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]667262[/ATTACH]

Way to go James and Gumbo!

Comment

Great job James.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  Need a snake training class somewhat close ...k9's too far
                  I need to do this to. This dog is goofy.

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Today is my first day working with Trigger. So far he looks pretty good. I am excited about training him.

Comment

Fil sent my a text while we were hunting that he just took down the 3 point he been wanting. I told him to hold off till my hunt was done so I can get Jenna on a real track again. It was about 30 till end of legal light. He waits 15 min and says I am going after it.... Old folks are stubborn. Our other buddy in another blind wants to hold out for pigs. I agreed since the old man is already doing his own thing. Hour later we are rolling back up to his area and I see the old man on his hands and knees. Scared me cause he typically will not do this to track and is only 15 yards from the feeder. Thank god he is cussing and spitting about not finding any more blood past where he is in stead of having a heart attack. Any how long story...... He is "upset" and I go get Jenna. She jumped off the ranger and went to work. There were deer all around us still trying to come in for corn. I was impressed she was ignoring them and following where fil already stuck sticks in the ground marking the blood trail. The it happens. An armadillo appears. Apparently she got of the blood and started tracking the dillo! Could not get her focused again until the dillo was dispatched. She found the deer but kept wanting to go look at the dillo. How do y'all urge this. So weird ignored the living deer but just crazy for the dillo . All in all end result she did fing the 3 point. But it was a pain and discouraging cause she been so focused and on track.

Just need more mock trails? What's y'all's thoughts?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415642314.836641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	24343603
                        My 7 month old JRT pup, Bullet, is now 6 for 6 on the year! 3 whitetails 2 hogs and one blackbuck. Its been very rewarding and exciting!

Comment

those jrts are killing it this year!

Comment

Great Thread!

Comment

So my question is who has good pups for sale? Something from proven hunters is always awesome. Or who is expecting some pups?

Comment

Or if anyone knows of a good working kennel that would be worth checking out. PM me if ya got anything

Comment

Working...
                                X