Wood arrows and compound bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood arrows and compound bow?

Can you, safely shoot a wood arrow shaft through a compound bow, if you needed to?

This is more of an SHNF question. After the carbon arrows are all gone and all you had were field made arrows, what would happen if you loaded up one in a 65 lb compound bow?

If the arrow is spined correctly for the bow it really doesn't matter that it's wood. The trick is finding a piece of wood that will spine for a 65 pound compound. Then the next trick is straightening the wooden shaft. Then the next trick is straightening the next one and so forth...

Not to mention that a wooden shaft will break much easier than a carbon...

For what it's worth I shoot wood from my bows.... just don't own a compound anymore.
    Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 04-15-2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Any suggestions on type of wood?

Comment

Is this a SHNF (Sam Houston National Forrest) question?

Or is it actually a SHTF (**** hit the fan) question?

Comment

My guess would be no

Comment

If it incorrectly spined, be sure and wear a long are guard so when it breaks it hits the guard and does not go through your arm

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter4l1fe View Post
              Is this a SHNF (Sam Houston National Forrest) question?

Or is it actually a SHTF (**** hit the fan) question?
              SHTF. ooops I have posted to many Sam questions it is habit.

Comment

If a 65 lb recurve can shoot an arrow, will not the same arrow work for compound? Or is there more force created from the compound?

Comment

More force with the compound. I don't know of any 65# recurves that can throw an arrow close to 300fps.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                    If a 65 lb recurve can shoot an arrow, will not the same arrow work for compound? Or is there more force created from the compound?
                    Apples and oranges

Comment

Why would you want to? I mean, you can buy something at Academy or Walmart for under $5, and it wouldn't be any less well spined than a wooden arrow.

Comment

If that happens I will be hunting with my rifle. Each kill will be to critically needed to wait until one gets close.

Comment

Negative ghost rider. These modern compounds will blow em in half. I ruined a perfectly good set of limbs like that.

Comment

There is significant difference in the way spine is calculated for wooden shafts versus carbon or aluminum shafts.

I don't have the chart in front of me but suffice it to say that you would need a wooden shaft akin to a telephone pole to shoot it from a modern compound bow with a draw weight of 65 lbs. Probably around a 100-120 or even more and that probably ain't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                              There is significant difference in the way spine is calculated for wooden shafts versus carbon or aluminum shafts.

I don't have the chart in front of me but suffice it to say that you would need a wooden shaft akin to a telephone pole to shoot it from a modern compound bow with a draw weight of 65 lbs. Probably around a 100-120 or even more and that probably ain't enough.

Bingo!!

Comment

Working...
                              X