Heavier arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavier arrows?

I've been shooting for several years now, but I'm just now starting to understand tuning. I've shot Beman MFX and Easton Epics the last couple years and I'm considering moving to a heavier arrow for this season. (slower speed/higher energy)

Can anyone give some advice on what combination to try. I'm looking at either the Carbon Express Maxima or Mayhem Hunters. I'll also be moving to a 125gr broadhead, probably Rage or Slick Trick. Any advice is appreciated

Do you like your current arrows?

If so, just add some weight tubes to them. Three Rivers has three different weights, 3 gpi to 8 gpi (I think).

Comment

I was looking at the Carbon Express arrows too until I figured out they were Made in Korea. So I got the Easton FMJ's. Buy american to keep jobs in America!

Comment

I can't comment on the arrows you mentioned, but I will say that if you go to a 125 gr. head, make sure you keep plenty on hand. Unfortunately, most shops/stores only stock 100 gr. heads these days. I usually have to order my 125 gr. Jak Hammers.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I like the FMJs

Comment

I shot some FMJ's in my last bow when I first got it and they seemed to hit hard, I guess I could throw them in the mix. They're just so darn expensive

Texastaxi, I am not really impressed with the Bemans or Easton Epics I have used recently.

If it makes any difference, I'm shooting a 28" arrow at 60lb

Comment

Maxima hunters are great arrows. Spine will be based on your draw length and the poundage. With a 125gr head and a 29" draw they should shoot well. Start tuning them at 30" cut length, cut off 1/2" till they tune in center shot.

Comment

you want to go with a good heavy hunting arrow go with FMJs....like others have said they are expensive but well worth it or atleast i think so

Comment

couple ????'s for you guys since you are talking arrows I got some Beman{c2}ICS Hunter
                  from the guys at David's Outdoor World and they cut them at 31" {this from tip to nock} if I go to Academy or Cablea's how do I look for size and weight?? I know that there are some graph's on the back of the box but, what do I look for and should I buy them the same lenght or buy longer and get them cut to size?? And what is FMJ's??

I bought some the other day but noticed the weight was different from the one's I got at the pro shop, so I'm taking them back. They are made by Easton & are 31" in lenght.
                  Is this a good brand or should I go back to the pro shop for more??
                  Almost forgot, how do ya'll keep your tips tight in the arrow??
                  Last edited by Texasredneck; 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

weight tubes

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    Do you like your current arrows?

If so, just add some weight tubes to them. Three Rivers has three different weights, 3 gpi to 8 gpi (I think).
                    When you use the weight tubes you need to concider the arrow spine. I was tring to use the 10grain/inch tubes in some goldtip xt 75/95's @29 inches (82#). With the weight tubes they were just to weak. How ever using the smaller diameter corbon arrows in regular size carbon arrows seem to work good. Got a pass through on a bear @ 40 yards with 125 sunfer ss after I sharpened them. Hopes this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasredneck View Post
                      couple ????'s for you guys since you are talking arrows I got some Beman{c2}ICS Hunter
                      from the guys at David's Outdoor World and they cut them at 31" {this from tip to nock} if I go to Academy or Cablea's how do I look for size and weight?? I know that there are some graph's on the back of the box but, what do I look for and should I buy them the same lenght or buy longer and get them cut to size?? And what is FMJ's??

I bought some the other day but noticed the weight was different from the one's I got at the pro shop, so I'm taking them back. They are made by Easton & are 31" in lenght.
                      Is this a good brand or should I go back to the pro shop for more??
                      Almost forgot, how do ya'll keep your tips tight in the arrow??
                      400 spine and 31 length seem awful weak. What is your draw length and draw weight?

Comment

Originally posted by 74archer View Post
                        When you use the weight tubes you need to concider the arrow spine. I was tring to use the 10grain/inch tubes in some goldtip xt 75/95's @29 inches (82#). With the weight tubes they were just to weak. How ever using the smaller diameter corbon arrows in regular size carbon arrows seem to work good. Got a pass through on a bear @ 40 yards with 125 sunfer ss after I sharpened them. Hopes this helps.
                        If the weight tube goes the full length of the shaft it does not affect spine.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          If the weight tube goes the full length of the shaft it does not affect spine.
                          Yep. I didn't notice any difference in the arrow flight at all.
                          After adjusting my sight for the extra drop, my field points and broadheads still hit the same.

74archer, the carbon shaft inside another shaft WOULD drastically change the spine.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            400 spine and 31 length seem awful weak. What is your draw length and draw weight?

draw length is either 29" or 30" not real sure and weight is 55lbs right now due to some shoulder work, I do know that my bow is so old that I was told that I couldn't shorten the length but I could short srting it. But I've heard mix reviews about doing this. Why would this be weak??

Comment

Originally posted by Texasredneck View Post
                              draw length is either 29" or 30" not real sure and weight is 55lbs right now due to some shoulder work, I do know that my bow is so old that I was told that I couldn't shorten the length but I could short srting it. But I've heard mix reviews about doing this. Why would this be weak??
                              With 55lbs the spine should be ok. If you were shooting more than 60 and a 400 spine arrow at that length they would have a weak spine reaction and probably never fly right.

Comment

Working...
                              X