Grouping ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouping ?

I'm pretty new to shooting a bow. Usually my groups are w/in 2" @ 20, 3" @ 30. Today they were all ove rhte place. No consistency @ all. Groups @ 30 were average 5 or so inches. I also noticed that when I release my bow goes to the left then right, like a sideways wobble. The top used to dip down in a forward motion. When it does that my shots are great. When it wobbles side-to-side, my groups are awful. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it? I'm pretty much trying to learn this sport on my own due to time constraints so it's taking me awhile to get it right. Thanks.

How loose is your grip?

Comment

i have no formal training, just alot of trail and error on my part. Sounds like you are fighting your grip. how do you hold your bow?

Comment

yep sounds like torquing. also, make sure you are using a consistent anchor point. those individually or combined can totally mess your shot up

Comment

I'm holding w/the V in my hand & a little w/my thumb & 1st finger. I use the same anchor point every time, which is a spot my release hand sits behind my ear. I'm assuming I'm torqueing it but IDK why I just started doing it?????? Same stance, same anchor point, same grip, same everything?????? The only difference in my last shooting session is my peep is now twisting to the right, which it never did before today. Someone mentioned a loose/worn string. Could this be the culprit in my saga?

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
            Same stance, same anchor point, same grip, same everything??????
            Unlikely that the bow is just all of a sudden shooting all over the place. So, although you think you are doing everything the same, obviously you aren't. Look more closely and find the issue.

Todd

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpywGv9Qg6M"]YouTube- Korean Archers - Smooth Executions[/ame]

Notice the grip on these archer,, that is the correct way to hold and shoot a bow. Don't do what the bow hunters do on T.V. and have their fingers pointing out like they are feeling for something.
              Notice the knuckes are at a 45 degree angle, the last girl is a gold medalist.
              Last edited by Bjankowski; 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

What is the draw weight? ANd how often do you shoot

Comment

For the most part I hold it similar to the guy @ :10 seconds but I don't point my pointer finger. Draw weight is 65lbs. & I don't shoot very often. I shot 2 weeks ago & every time is was about 2" group @ 20yds, 3" @ 30yds. I don't shoot anyfurther because I can't see any further.

Comment

I shot some yesterday & @ 20 everything was good but @ 30 all over the place. I figured out what I did different the day before was I had a quiver w/3 arrows on it while I was practicing. I realised that & then shot yesterday w/out it, paid good attention to my grip & @ 20 everything was perfect. Now just to figure out why my shots are good at 20 & AWFUL(5-6" radius) at 30 & I'll be good. Any input ??

Comment

I had this problem and looked at my arrows FOC(front of center). I was using 100gr tips and changed to 125gr and groupings tightened up a lot.
                      If you don't know if you know what FOC is, you can google it and find the formula that you need to make the changes, this is a smiple process, it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dingus View Post
                        YouTube- Korean Archers - Smooth Executions

Notice the grip on these archer,, that is the correct way to hold and shoot a bow. Don't do what the bow hunters do on T.V. and have their fingers pointing out like they are feeling for something.
                        Notice the knuckes are at a 45 degree angle, the last girl is a gold medalist.
                        :58

I didn't know Michelle Wie was Finger Shooter

One thing to point out... notice some of these shooters are using a higher than "normal" wrist, designed into the grip.

Most bows are "standard" to medium wrist. So you may not be able to truly grip their way, simply by emulating their finger position.

Comment

Once I paid CLOSE attention to my grip I was golden @ 20 until I focused too much on it & forgot about where my forearm was. Needless to say I hit my forearm w/the string, exploded a vain, & now my forearm is swollen, soar & black. I'm gonna get one of those forarm leather covers so this doesn't happen again.

Comment

If you peep has started to rotate that is a clue. Sounds like your string has started to creep a bit from lots of shooting, or exposure to higher temps. If your groups have opened up then I would first check the tune of your bow, and re-set the specs if needed.

Comment

You popping your forearm like that sounds like your draw length maybe a little to long. Hope your arm gets better soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X