• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
    Nothing but squirrels in the State Park today

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    That stinks. Hopefully they will be moving Saturday

Comment

Headed to state park today...just looking for any meat to put in the freezer. I'll post later with how it went.

Comment

ok just returned from a doe/spike hunt at Cooper. 2 of us hunted a unit on the South end of the lake. Did not hunt the 1st evening and morning was scouting, finally found what we were looking for, In 6 hunts I saw 19 deer and shot 2 does and my friend shot a spike and did not connect on a doe in the brush. I do have a couple of thoughts now the hunt is over. The 2 guys that run the hunt were super nice and helpful, could not ask for any better. While scouting I thought I was in Bass Pro where they hang the stands, there is a ladder, climber, or loc on in every tree, I think you could walk stand to stand, also plenty of game cams, sorry if we walked in front of yours. Now we were gun hunting so we set up where could shoot farther than what you would set up for bowhunting. As I see it plenty of deer to bowhunt the problem is all of the hunters. One other thing we had a hunter in our compartment even though the area was closed, staff ran off 2 more groups this morning. I see why it is so popular it is fine looking ground for bowhunting.

Comment

No Luck

Spent the afternoon out in the woods with my daughter. No deer or hogs, but got the opportunity to show her a wallow, tracks, tree rub, and two armadillo’s. Hiked 2.5 miles and had a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
            ok just returned from a doe/spike hunt at Cooper. 2 of us hunted a unit on the South end of the lake. Did not hunt the 1st evening and morning was scouting, finally found what we were looking for, In 6 hunts I saw 19 deer and shot 2 does and my friend shot a spike and did not connect on a doe in the brush. I do have a couple of thoughts now the hunt is over. The 2 guys that run the hunt were super nice and helpful, could not ask for any better. While scouting I thought I was in Bass Pro where they hang the stands, there is a ladder, climber, or loc on in every tree, I think you could walk stand to stand, also plenty of game cams, sorry if we walked in front of yours. Now we were gun hunting so we set up where could shoot farther than what you would set up for bowhunting. As I see it plenty of deer to bowhunt the problem is all of the hunters. One other thing we had a hunter in our compartment even though the area was closed, staff ran off 2 more groups this morning. I see why it is so popular it is fine looking ground for bowhunting.
            Ferg - sounds like a good weekend of hunting! I saw you said they were a couple of guys who are running the hunt. Were the tags you had draw only, lottery, or was this a lease that you found for that specific area? New hunting in Texas, coming from Montana there’s just a lot of national forest to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang6867 View Post
              Ferg - sounds like a good weekend of hunting! I saw you said they were a couple of guys who are running the hunt. Were the tags you had draw only, lottery, or was this a lease that you found for that specific area? New hunting in Texas, coming from Montana there’s just a lot of national forest to hunt.
              It's draw only for a couple of weekends of the season for Cooper. The rest of the time, you can bowhunt only with just an Annual Public Hunting permit.

Doe's better look out from here on. I'm meat hunting first, horns are second at this point. Need freezer meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                It's draw only for a couple of weekends of the season for Cooper. The rest of the time, you can bowhunt only with just an Annual Public Hunting permit.

Doe's better look out from here on. I'm meat hunting first, horns are second at this point. Need freezer meat.
                Gotcha - I’ll be on the lookout for the draw application next year! Then try and find the right person, like Ferg did, with the hunt.

Comment

Anyone have any luck in the south sulphur unit at Cooper sp yet?

Comment

Well the South Sulphur unit was nothing but squirrels today. Tons of signs of deer but nothing moving during daylight. Gonna try the WMA midweek and hopefully get some meat for the freezer.

Comment

Giving it hell this morning. It's a little chilly. 28 when I parked. Seen one doe out of range so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Staying till 9. Only saw the doe right after daylight. I may go back this evening or tomorrow, depending how I feel.

Comment

Came back this evening for a sit.

Comment

Just got settled for an Christmas eve hunt. Anything legal walks in gets shot today. Lol

Comment

Here’s hoping you get to open present tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X