Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
    Colorado county public comment meeting about this is tonight at 630 I believe at the Colorado county ems Building.
    I wish I could make it. I live in Spring and can't breakaway today. They should ask Bob Carol if he would propose doe days again. We went from seeing a few deer out there to zero for a long time.

Comment

Anything will help here in Caldwell County. Does have to be killed only during Archery season unless you are MLD. I would like to see it extended all the way through the Sunday after Thanksgiving at least, but I'll take any extra days they are willing to allow.

Comment

I think it’ll help at our place in bastrop/lee. We have a ton of doe and I feel like it’ll take a lot of pressure off the bucks, since a lot of people around us shoot the first barely legal 8 and spike they see so they can fill the freezer

Comment

I think this is badly needed in specific areas where there are too many does. My wife used to drive to work every morning down country roads just north of Lampasas, and she hit deer 4 times in one year, all of them does. Each hit did $3K - $5K in damage. They were EVERYWHERE, herds of them. Hit a couple myself, too. These aren't fancy bucks or anything anybody would hunt, they were just little trash deer. I remember thinking about how TPWD should have a special season on them, or maybe, say, every 2 or 3 years raise the doe limit to 10, or even unlimited, just to get the numbers down, at least temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            I think it’ll help at our place in bastrop/lee. We have a ton of doe and I feel like it’ll take a lot of pressure off the bucks, since a lot of people around us shoot the first barely legal 8 and spike they see so they can fill the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post

Do you really think those people will not shoot the 8 or spike in addition to the does? I would bet good money that they will.

Comment

Isn't this what MLD is for. I would love to be able to shoot 2 does in Wharton County north of 59 but I don't think it will take very long to get back to the point where it was 10 years ago. Mandatory reporting will not do a bit of good. How many people will forget about reporting it the morning after?

Comment

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Originally posted by mako191 View Post
                  Do you really think those people will not shoot the 8 or spike in addition to the does? I would bet good money that they will.

I’m sure they will. But I’d like to think a couple of them would hold off for a more mature buck since they know they will be able to atleast get meat with the Doe days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The biologist in Colorado and Austin Counties told me there was a massive overpopulation of does and he couldn’t pay people to shoot them. He’d give doe permits and they’d almost invariably end up unused. Obviously it can vary a lot property to property, but I think it’s a good idea for the most part.

Comment

tags

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                      The biologist in Colorado and Austin Counties told me there was a massive overpopulation of does and he couldn’t pay people to shoot them. He’d give doe permits and they’d almost invariably end up unused. Obviously it can vary a lot property to property, but I think it’s a good idea for the most part.
                      I guess I am one of those guys. lol I get tags for Colorado County but very rarely use them.

Comment

Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.

Comment

Let me explain this simply for y’all that are against it. If you don’t think you have enough deer that you need to kill a doe, then don’t. Bam. It’s pretty simple really. If you live next to some redneck that shoots 30 deer a year it most likely doesn’t matter if he gets a doe now...

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                            I guess I am one of those guys. lol I get tags for Colorado County but very rarely use them.
                            When I had a place in Austin County I was the same way. I always had ambitions, just never got around to harvesting the 4-5 does I was given tags for. Every year I'd tell the guy I was going to, every year I'd fail.

Comment

I think it's a good idea for a lot of those areas. Unless, I'm mistaken, you can't even take does in general season without an MLD tag in some of these counties. Also, 4 days is pretty short time frame and on any given year could be a complete bust due to bad weather conditions or whatever.

Comment

I'm in favor of the doe days. I'd rather have folks take a doe for meat than a 12" illegal buck.

I'll admit that folks have to use common sense and regulate themselves on the number they take.

Disclaimer: the common sense part bothers me!

Comment

Working...
                                X