Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #51
Rj Flores
Four Point
 
Rj Flores's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sullivan City
Hunt In: Starr
Default

McCarthy would not have lasted in the coaching market to much longer. Giants, Carolina, or Browns would have hired him by tomorrow. Experience coach with Super bowl experience. Let go Cowboys
Rj Flores is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #52
Wayspr
Six Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Gulfport, MS
Hunt In: Medina County
Default

Problem with the Cowboys is Jerry. I think any really good coach is going to have problems with Jerry getting the players he wants regardless if the coach wants them or not.
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #53
Kingfisher789
Ten Point
 
Kingfisher789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin. Jim Ned Creek
Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default

Will there be an offensive coordinator?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #54
roughneck266
Eight Point
 
roughneck266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj Flores View Post
McCarthy would not have lasted in the coaching market to much longer. Giants, Carolina, or Browns would have hired him by tomorrow. Experience coach with Super bowl experience. Let go Cowboys
I agree with this. McCarthy is a proven commodity, I am actually surprised he was still available to be honest. He obviously used his ff time wisely, and by all accounts blew the interview out of the water.
Some folks are going to complain just because they think they are supposed to.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #55
doghouse
Pope & Young
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Goldthwaite
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck266 View Post
I agree with this. McCarthy is a proven commodity, I am actually surprised he was still available to be honest. He obviously used his ff time wisely, and by all accounts blew the interview out of the water.
Some folks are going to complain just because they think they are supposed to.
No telling what actually happened behind the scenes.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #56
Slicefixer
Six Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Will there be an offensive coordinator?
Supposedly he's going to "consider" the existing offensive staff....what that means, who knows???




Originally Posted by roughneck266 View Post
"I agree with this. McCarthy is a proven commodity, I am actually surprised he was still available to be honest. He obviously used his ff time wisely, and by all accounts blew the interview out of the water.
Some folks are going to complain just because they think they are supposed to."


Yep....they complained about Belichek, etc etc etc in the same manner....i get it too.....

However, the Cowboys didn't have that much to choose from IMOP. Successful college coaches and their inherent risks and the time needed for them to adjust to the top job at the NFL level, etc etc.....or the less sexy formerly successful NFL coach. They obviously chose the best of the latter.

Time will tell.....
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #57
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

Brett Farve gave him an outstanding recommendation, good enough for me.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #58
brokeno
Ten Point
 
brokeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Smiley, Texas
Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere
Default

I might even watch the cowboys a couple of times now.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #59
sandbill
Eight Point
 
sandbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Benbrook, TX
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

This hire makes sense. We'll see how it goes.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Hard to believe Washington was so quick to jump on Ron Rivera....
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #61
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

I see Jones was reading my text messages. Babe confirmed it that Jerrah had to make some big concessions to McCarthy to get him to come to Dallas. So, is JJ finally listening to outside wisdom? Stay tuned.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #62
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I see Jones was reading my text messages. Babe confirmed it that Jerrah had to make some big concessions to McCarthy to get him to come to Dallas. So, is JJ finally listening to outside wisdom? Stay tuned.
I'll believe that Jerry gave him more power when he lets all of Garrett's coaches go, or he cuts a "star" player.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #63
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'll believe that Jerry gave him more power when he lets all of Garrett's coaches go, or he cuts a "star" player.
According to Babe Laufenberg both sides had to make concession for the deal to be consummated. Heard Babe state that on the news this am. Wonder what Babe knows? or is he bloviating.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #64
txhunter-1
Six Point
 
txhunter-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Not my first choice, guess I was wrong and JJ wanted to get him off the market. I think he is a ****load better than Garrett, but I also think we could have done better. Anyone can do better than 500.
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #65
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter-1 View Post
Not my first choice, guess I was wrong and JJ wanted to get him off the market. I think he is a ****load better than Garrett, but I also think we could have done better. Anyone can do better than 500.



Who was your number 1? and how is he better in the NFL than McCarthey?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #66
bullhead44
Ten Point
 
bullhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: collinsville tx
Default

I think the Panthers made a better choice in Rhule. I think he is going to be very successful in the NFL. I was hoping to see the Cowboys at least talk to him. I don't think he would have come though. Jerry would not have let him have enough say so on staff and player decisions.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #67
joel45acp
Ten Point
 
joel45acp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #68
RickH78
Ten Point
 
RickH78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stonewall, Texas
Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas
Default

It will be interesting to see if Rhule can have success in the NFL. College ball and the pros are 2 entirely different beasts. He is basically going to blow the whole thing up in Carolina and start over.
RickH78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #69
7sdad
Ten Point
 
7sdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Default

I'm really disappointed in Mike, I thought he would end up somewhere he could run the show and have control.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #70
Das71198
Ten Point
 
Das71198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hallettsville
Hunt In: Victoria County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sorry. Donít be so hard on your team. Itís just football.
Das71198 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #71
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
I think the Panthers made a better choice in Rhule. I think he is going to be very successful in the NFL. I was hoping to see the Cowboys at least talk to him. I don't think he would have come though. Jerry would not have let him have enough say so on staff and player decisions.


Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #72
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
Just came across phone the the Cowgirls hired McCarthy. What y'all think?
Not bad, not bad. I was actually expecting Josh McDaniel. And Nolan as the DC, that's a good choice. too. Sounds like Stephen is making an impact.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #73
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
I think the Panthers made a better choice in Rhule. I think he is going to be very successful in the NFL. I was hoping to see the Cowboys at least talk to him. I don't think he would have come though. Jerry would not have let him have enough say so on staff and player decisions.

That's a whole lotta guessing disguised as thinking.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
I'm really disappointed in Mike, I thought he would end up somewhere he could run the show and have control.

So what was the agreement of control in the meeting that day?. Reports are that there was some give and take on both sides. Sounds like you are privy to that info.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #74
7sdad
Ten Point
 
7sdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
So what was the agreement of control in the meeting that day?. Reports are that there was some give and take on both sides. Sounds like you are privy to that info.
Time will tell.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #75
bullhead44
Ten Point
 
bullhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: collinsville tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
That's a whole lotta guessing disguised as thinking.






So what was the agreement of control in the meeting that day?. Reports are that there was some give and take on both sides. Sounds like you are privy to that info.



I guess the Panthers made a better choice in Rhule. I guess he is going to be very successful in the NFL. I was hoping to see the Cowboys at least talk to him. I don't guess he would have come though. Jerry would not have let him have enough say so on staff and player decisions.

I think this will please you!
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #76
sotx
Ten Point
 
sotx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

Iím gonna take a wait and see approach. With that said I donít have much hope for anything more than 8-8 seasons with current GM Owner etc...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sotx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #77
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
I guess the Panthers made a better choice in Rhule. I guess he is going to be very successful in the NFL. I was hoping to see the Cowboys at least talk to him. I don't guess he would have come though. Jerry would not have let him have enough say so on staff and player decisions.

I think this will please you!
McCarthy is the better choice. Lot more pro experience.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #78
2good2Btru
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Junction
Default

In my opinion, McCarthy was the best choice of available candidates. Even though I would have entertained the Urban Meyer talks, very difficult for a college coach to come in and make a huge impact. Took Carroll three teams to finally make it and really, he went to a stacked up team with the Seahawks that were defensively amazing.
2good2Btru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #79
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Giants went out on a limb and hired Patriots wide receivers coach Joe Judge???
Never heard of the guy. He may end up great but I would have duked my pants if the cowboys hired this guy out of the blue.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #80
Slicefixer
Six Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good2Btru View Post
In my opinion, McCarthy was the best choice of available candidates. Even though I would have entertained the Urban Meyer talks, very difficult for a college coach to come in and make a huge impact. Took Carroll three teams to finally make it and really, he went to a stacked up team with the Seahawks that were defensively amazing.
My problem with Meyer is his health.....OSU is regional stress/semi-national stress.... Cowboys are worldwide, despised or loved, worldwide.....plus ya gotta deal with JJ and his narcissistic ego.....Meyer is no shrinking violet either....could go great and could end up in another disintegrating pile of
excremento..... plus the issues with NFL egos.....differences in the game (which I think is the least worrisome).....etc etc

McCarthy is a solid hire..... upon a bit of review, probably the best choice they had.....certainly knows the game.....the NFL game, playoffs, super bowl, NFL egos, etc. Now is JJ going to let him do his job??? I have my doubts.....
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #81
Slicefixer
Six Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
Giants went out on a limb and hired Patriots wide receivers coach Joe Judge???
Never heard of the guy. He may end up great but I would have duked my pants if the cowboys hired this guy out of the blue.
Guess they're counting on the belichek tree to bear fruit..... big gamble in NY IMOP
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #82
Wakehunter
Eight Point
 
Wakehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Parker & Hill
Default

We need a new QB, not a new coach!
Wakehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #83
orionhjarvis
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
Just came across phone the the Cowgirls hired McCarthy. What y'all think?
Really like the hire
orionhjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #84
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default McCarthy new Cowboy coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
Guess they're counting on the belichek tree to bear fruit..... big gamble in NY IMOP




Not doing so well lately


Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #85
Slicefixer
Six Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Not doing so well lately


True...True....hehehe (Giants can't help themselves)

Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-08-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com