No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot 6.5 PRC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the shortest barrel length you guys are running on the PRC's?

Looking into this for my next TBH build and have realized after my 20" 22-250 from last year that going shorter with a can is 100x's nicer than slinging around a telephone pole.

Comment

I have a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 PRC and love it. I handload 130 grain Accubonds in it and am getting 3100 FPS out of the 24" barrel and less than .5 MOA. Recoil is minimal, but the muzzle brake and no hearing protection is bad juju. Blows my hair back (and I ain't got a lot). I'm either going to have to remember my hearing protection when I hunt or start shooting through the thread protector.

I killed two mouflon/barbado cross sheep this past weekend with it and the 143 ELD-X really did the trick.

Comment

As mentioned above, I have a 6.5 prc and have shot it for about a year and a half. I originally had the rifle build started as a 6.5-284 but changed my mind when the prc began gaining traction. It’s perfect for me! I don’t reload and probably won’t ever have time to do it. Mine shoots 143 grain eld-x ammo very well. Mine keeps 3 shot groups around half an inch and I have shot a 7 shot group under an inch. All kills so far have been one shot affairs. My longest shot on an animal was right at 500 yards on a mule deer. I killed all 4 of my Texas grand slam animals with the prc. I have shot steel with it out to 1000 yards and I’m a bowhunter not a rifleman. I have talked several buddies in to buying the 6.5 prc and all have killed with it. I would have no issue shooting elk or even moose with it. I would keep shots on the big stuff 500 yards and in but that’s my opinion. I do have some semi-custom loads from copper creek that I really want to try but haven’t had time. My prc weighs right at 7 lbs without a scope and is exactly what I want. Mine was built on a defiance action by Alamo precision and has a proof carbon fiber barrel. I can’t say enough good about it!

Comment

I have a custom 6.5 SAUM, I haven’t had much time behind the trigger yet but I like it so far. Rifle weighs 20lbs and has a brake, recoil is none existent. I don’t reload yet and don’t mind purchasing ammo online. If you want ammo readily available at big box stores go with the PRC. If you don’t mind ordering ammo and want a few more FPS go SAUM.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
            Browning Hells Canyon speed
            They did not put the label on the stock advertising the camo on your version I see. I hate that label on mine.

Comment

I have a Seekins Havak PH2 on the way in 6.5PRC. I miss my old 6.5-284. I had to have another fast 6.5. Thankfully I don’t have to reload for it!

Comment

I’m interested in a PRC with a 22” barrel. Anyone do this, what kind of velocities did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                  I’m interested in a PRC with a 22” barrel. Anyone do this, what kind of velocities did you get?
                  This ^^^

Some research is showing 2925-2950fps still with factory loads which would float my fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    This ^^^

Some research is showing 2925-2950fps still with factory loads which would float my fancy.

Not saying that it won't happen, but it does sound a little optimistic. We demoed some new cans last week that have an over the barrel reflex design that might buy back a few inches of barrel length. Looking forward to getting some in for stuff just like this.

Comment

I removed the brake on my Apr 6.5 prc because I couldn't seem to remember to put hearing protection on when I shot it from a box blind. I find the recoil very manageable and I do not like recoil! My other favorite rifle is a 243 and it's just a bit more than that. To be fair, the 243 weighs 3 pounds less than the 6.5 PRC

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Just started reloading for my 6.5 prc. The factory 143eldx fluctuated 40fps, pretty disappointing.

156 Bergers with RL26, I’m right at 2950 fps with AGD brass. This was purely ladder testing, but expect to be right around 3000.

Comment

Looking into this for my next TBH build and have realized after my 20" 22-250 from last year that going shorter with a can is 100x's nicer than slinging around a telephone pole.

Not all it’s cracked up to be, brother.

Comment

My rifle is 26in with a APA brake it’s crazy long been thinking about cutting it down 2-4in.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                              Not saying that it won't happen, but it does sound a little optimistic. We demoed some new cans last week that have an over the barrel reflex design that might buy back a few inches of barrel length. Looking forward to getting some in for stuff just like this.
                              Dang, well overly optimistic it is I suppose lol

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                                [/B]

Not all it’s cracked up to be, brother.
                                22-24” seems to be the sweet spot on these rifles. A buddy just spun one up that hes getting 2830 with factory 143s out of a 20” Proof. For comparison sake another buddy is getting 2935 with the same 143 load out of a 24” tube.

Comment

Working...
                                X