No announcement yet.

Help buying a tractor for hill country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, i have found hydrostatic to be a real safety feature, especially on slopes. You can go as slow as you want and if you feel you are getting in trouble, just take your foot off the pedal and it stops and holds. Can't do that with a clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
      Once again, we are not getting a bobcat or skid steer. The ranch needs a tractor and I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      For what you are describing you need a skid steer and just dont know it. Tractors dont belong on hillsides. Not saying they cant go there but its asking for trouble. That said there are some good recommendations on tractors above.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        For what you are describing you need a skid steer and just dont know it. Tractors dont belong on hillsides. Not saying they cant go there but its asking for trouble. That said there are some good recommendations on tractors above.

No, I’m not clearing a hillside and definitely never said I’m clearing a hillside. I’ve had the skid steer out twice and the dozer out. Just for reference the dozer did a WAY better job of clearing than the skid steer ever did.

There’s brush piles where the machines have already cleared and those piles need to be moved around and burned. Yes, more clearing has to be done and I’m using the tractor to help with that when the dozer isn’t there (this is why I need the bucket). Every ranch where mowing and planting will be a goal needs a tractor ( this is why I need the PTO). Can a skid steer pull the brush hog? Can it pull the rake? If you have a 400 acre ranch and your choice is a tractor or a bobcat what are you going to do once the bobcat has done it’s job? The thread isn’t a debate on what YOU think I need. If the title was “I have a ranch that needs clearing and I don’t know what to do” this would be an option but........surprise! It’s not. I asked about tractors.

Comment

Let me rephrase, we have two parts of the ranch the upper and lower. There is a hill that has to be driven to access the upper portion of the ranch. This is where the hillside comes into play. It’s not ridiculously steep, I think it’s mostly a 12* incline. We do not plan to use the tractor exclusively to clear the ranch, that wouldn’t be efficient under any circumstances.

We rent the larger machines to clear large spaces and the tractor will work the rest of the time.

Am I making things clearer?

Comment

Misty...I know you probably haven't thought about this option. But I like to think outside of the box.

Maybe get a skid steer?

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              No, I’m not clearing a hillside and definitely never said I’m clearing a hillside. I’ve had the skid steer out twice and the dozer out. Just for reference the dozer did a WAY better job of clearing than the skid steer ever did.

There’s brush piles where the machines have already cleared and those piles need to be moved around and burned. Yes, more clearing has to be done and I’m using the tractor to help with that when the dozer isn’t there (this is why I need the bucket). Every ranch where mowing and planting will be a goal needs a tractor ( this is why I need the PTO). Can a skid steer pull the brush hog? Can it pull the rake? If you have a 400 acre ranch and your choice is a tractor or a bobcat what are you going to do once the bobcat has done it’s job? The thread isn’t a debate on what YOU think I need. If the title was “I have a ranch that needs clearing and I don’t know what to do” this would be an option but........surprise! It’s not. I asked about tractors.

I never said a word about clearing. I only spoke to the items you mentioned. First was moving brush to be burned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Misty...I know you probably haven't thought about this option. But I like to think outside of the box.

Maybe get a skid steer?

Lol Merry Christmas Bobby. If I get said Skid Steer, think you would run it for us? Think you could possibly rig up some sort of pto in the back for me? Then I’d have the best of both worlds!!!

Comment

Kubota is the way to go for your application. Stay away from any of the lower end
                  "economy" series tractors. Ex. E series John Deere, New Holland Workmaster, Case A series, etc. We just sold our 5065E JD and got a Kubota 9540 (95hp) 4x4 cab. I would never get another tractor smaller than the 95hp. It never hurts to have extra power, and trust me, you will need it one day.

Kubotas are generally not as heavy as some of their competitors, but this can easily be fixed with wheel weights and filling the tires up with water/antifreeze.

Comment

The tractor threads are almost as good as the diesel truck, fuel mileage, Toyota value, and nalgai caliber threads.

All modern tractors are good machines, I previously owned two Mahindras and just bought a John Deere. The brand-name’s will have better resale. New tractors have great financing options, a warranty, and sure smell nice. Used tractors are much cheaper but you never know if you were buying someone else’s problem. The first two tractors I purchased were used and weren’t bad but always had something small wrong with em. The John Deere I just bought was new and the biggest purchase I’ve ever made. If you buy new be sure and shop hard. I was able to buy a John Deere in the same class as a Mahindra and Kubota for $1000 cheaper with better financing, insurance, and warranty.

I learned quickly that green paint does not always cost more. I work in the ag industry and you won’t ever see a large farmer running anything but a John Deere in south Texas. I’m guessing that is not just a coincidence. Good luck and enjoy your new tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      Kubota is the way to go for your application. Stay away from any of the lower end
                      "economy" series tractors. Ex. E series John Deere, New Holland Workmaster, Case A series, etc. We just sold our 5065E JD and got a Kubota 9540 (95hp) 4x4 cab. I would never get another tractor smaller than the 95hp. It never hurts to have extra power, and trust me, you will need it one day.

Kubotas are generally not as heavy as some of their competitors, but this can easily be fixed with wheel weights and filling the tires up with water/antifreeze.
                      Out of curiosity what issues did you have with your John Deere economy? I just purchased a 5055.

Comment

This is an old thread. A lot has changed in the tractor world since Covid hit. I've been looking for over a month now. Good clean used tractors that are priced right will sell in a day. There are almost no new tractors on the lots, and the prices are prohibitive.

If I can ever find what I want, I will have a clean JD 5205 open station 2wd with FEL for sale. I expect it to sell in a day or two when I do list it.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                          Out of curiosity what issues did you have with your John Deere economy? I just purchased a 5055.
                          I think that you will like your 5055. If it is anything like my 5205, it will sip the fuel and surprise you with how much work it can do.

Comment

Working...
                          X